Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Hamilton the musical

Hamilton the musical

Old Mar 12th 2018, 6:27 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hamilton the musical

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
We've been listening to the soundtrack around the house and driving and the songs are growing on me more. Angelica, Eliiiiiza! And Peggy.

Anyway, it occurred to me that it's not really about Alexander Hamilton and the Founding Fathers. Well, it is, but that's secondary. The primary thing is that the medium is the message. And the Revolutionary War - with its prim and proper wigs and whiteness - is a backdrop to juxtapose the medium of hip-hop and urban speech/mannerims (Damnnnnn!... With the LAAAAADIES!.... I was the damn-fool that shot him!).

Look at the contrast between the Schuyler sisters with their clipped, distinct theater-kid enunciation and the way that the Fab Four speak.

The style of music echoes different R&B and hip-hop artists. Jay-Z, Destiny's Child etc. With the comical, jarring British-invasion numbers of the King.

And that's why, I think, it's not political or preachy. It mentions slavery twice at my recollection.

I love the bits when Aaron Burr talks to people and ends every line with 'sir'.
Even 'bursar'. There's quite a few gimmicky bits/hooks like this which stick in your brain and make you smile. "I do-I do-I-do-I do-I dooooo-e-oo-oo".

References to other works, "very model of a modern major general" from the Pirates of Penzance. I would like to see it again. Tickets were released by the box office for $600 a pop. You could fly to Chicago and see it there for much less. Anyway, yeah, it's very good.
In general yes, to all of that. Its primarily in the Greek tradition of a Heroic Tragedy. I think the layers of meaning that it has leaves it possible to not see it as political, and I think our different political views come in to play here, I see it as very political, the casting, bringing the events up close to the America of today with the political struggles of immigration, makes Hamilton's political story, a story of today.

The cultural references are a joy to spot for the ones we recognize and fun to discover other peoples knowledge too, after the show.

A less skilled writter might have used rap as a novelty, for style alone, Lin Manuel chooses it to enhance the content, as you say, different characters have different styles. You said it was experimental in an earlier post (I understood what you meant) but it is innovative rather than experimental, as every decision is purposeful, he doesnt do anything wondering what the outcome might be, he knows what impact his choices will make.

Historically, given that it is a Broadway musical, (it is not supposed to be Chernow's book, as that already exists) I think it is spot on. Knowledge of the history only increases your respect for the work, as we can see why he has made decisions, to err from the history.

Angelica not being married, The Schuylers not having brothers, Burr being thrown in to every aspect of Hamilton's life, all these errings are for dramatic story purposes, without affecting the over all historic accuracy.

You are right, slavery is hardly mentioned, but Jefferson just asking Sally to open a letter, Sally being played by some swing with no lines, but this is enough to damn Jefferson, as we know Sally Hemmings is Jeffersons wifes sister, raped by him for decades.

Its so layered that there is something for everyone, no matter your political point of view. The tunes alone are good enough, even if you have no idea who the characters are.

Last edited by kimilseung; Mar 12th 2018 at 6:55 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 9:09 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I agree on the innovative part. Not experimental. And yes, I agree he's a very good writer.

I think Thomas Jefferson is truly remarkable man. Well, I guess they all were.
But I'll always remember a PBS documentary I saw some 19 years ago, where this guy dressed up and answers questions and gives a talk as Thomas Jefferson.
It's was riveting TV. His name is Clay Jenkinson and he does the Thomas Jefferson Hour.

https://jeffersonhour.com/

He also does a similarly excellent treatment of Lewis and Clark. Please check him out.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 11:37 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Given that we disagree on so many things, by so much distance. It is nice to find common ground.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 4:33 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Alas, we can never be friends. When you're a Jet you're a Jet. And you're a Shark of the most vicious, malevolent kind. Irredeemable. If you lived closer, sir, I would challenge thee to a duel.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 4:54 pm
He/him

Alas, we can never be friends. When you're a Jet you're a Jet. And you're a Shark of the most vicious, malevolent kind. Irredeemable. If you lived closer, sir, I would challenge thee to a duel.

I'd throw away my shot. So I'd win anyway.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 5:10 pm
Peace onion

Aaron threw away his shot but he was such a bad shot that his shot was true.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 10:21 pm
Peace onion

It opened in London. Crazy. Hope it does well.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 11:44 pm
He/him

It opened in London. Crazy. Hope it does well.
I already booked tickets for London, will be my third time, daughters second.
There seem to be tickets available, so while it doesn't seem to be doing badly, its not the crazy sell out it is in the States, but we probably shouldn't be surprised by that.
Hamilton is a drug and should be made illegal.
Old Aug 16th 2018, 10:55 pm
He/him

It's every bit as good on third viewing, and new details still reveal themselves.
my daughter preferred this London production, I thought there wasn't really anything in it, Burr was perhaps a bit of a let down today.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

We are returning to the UK at Christmas and have booked a surprise trip to see Hamilton as a christmas present for the kids. Prices looked pretty reasonable compared to the amounts people are paying in the US. Really looking forwards to it
Old Aug 17th 2018, 5:12 pm
Peace onion

Are you going to go in cold/blind? Or listen to the soundtrack first?

I can see benefits to both. I did the former. Didn't know what to expect. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
But then as we listened often to the soundtrack subsequently, the more I appreciated the brilliance of some of the lyrics and performances.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going to go in cold/blind? Or listen to the soundtrack first?
Good question - going in hot! Well, warmish. Kids listened to the soundtrack a lot last year and really enjoyed it. This year more k-pop, indie and country respectively.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 7:20 pm
He/him

You could probably fly to London just for the show, and still undercut the scalpers. We were in the stalls but some of the prices in the God's are ridiculously cheap if you book far enough in advance.
I'd recommend the Chernow book too, as pre show (enjoyable) homework, unless your revolutionary period history is expansive. It's nice to catch all the references.

Last edited by kimilseung; Aug 17th 2018 at 7:23 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2018, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the Chernow tip, i will look that up. My revolutionary period history on a par with the rest of history and hazy at best. I have just checked and we paid £285 for 5 tickets, including 4 in a box. I am happy to sit in the cheap(er) seats for the thrill they will have, and less chance of embarrassing them if i join in the sing-a-longs
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I saw it last night.
When it first got talk, I dismissed it as more Founding Father Hagiography. But my twelve year old has been obsessed with it, so I took an interest to support her, I am so pleased she introduced me to it. We have been listening to the original cast recording on Amazon prime for a while and it is quality writing, but the performance is so much more than the music, it helps to know the history, which I do, helped along by reading Ron Chernow biography that the musical is based on. It exceeded my expectation, which were so high because of my pleasure in listening to the music combined with the hype, I was thinking it can only end with disappointment. Possibly my best night ever at a theater. Perfect meeting of style and content. Cheers from the audience at "Immigrants, we get the job done!"
I get to see it again on a freebie as I will chaperone a bunch of history high schoolers next week.

Ticket wise, I signed up for notifications about a year ago, then got an email to resister for a chance to be notified of sale code, (verified fan), then had to sneak a phone call at work the moment they went on sale, picking a mid week performance to try and lower competition, so got them at cost.
Gosh, don't you just hate that Founding Father Hagiography they keep foisting on us?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.