British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Hallowe'en "candy" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/halloween-candy-905329/)

petitefrancaise Nov 1st 2017 3:16 am

Hallowe'en "candy"

UGH. I almost never buy cheap chocolate.

After tonight and being unable to resist the crappy bags of choc that I bought too much of for the kiddoes...

almond joy is not as good as a bounty bar
whoppers are disgusting but then I'm not a big maltesers fan either.
Hershey's chocolate smells and tastes like my kids' vomit used to.
Heath bars?? what are they?
Don't like butterfingers much - too hard and not enough chocolate.

Now I just feel sugared up and sick :sick:

How're the rest of you resisting?

joto Nov 1st 2017 3:47 am

Re: Hallowe'en "candy"

We bought a big bag of mixed candy, M&M's, Twix, KitKat, etc, and there is about half of it gone. There weren't as many T or T's this year as last. I picked the ones out that we wouldn't eat, and put them and more into the bowl for the T or T's, so if there was some left at least we could eat them.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 1st 2017 6:16 am

Hershey's is an acquired taste...:lol: I have forgotten what the US version tastes and smells like, they use a different recipe for Canada.

tom169 Nov 1st 2017 11:08 am

We bought a lot of mixed candy from Aldi - mainly Snickers and Reece's. Was about $40 (target estimate) worth of candy for $14.

Redwing Nov 1st 2017 12:31 pm

I always buy apples and dole them out. Judging by their reactions, the kids love them.

Jack8602 Nov 1st 2017 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12372314)
Hershey's chocolate smells and tastes like my kids' vomit used to.

Tastes? :rofl:

SultanOfSwing Nov 1st 2017 2:36 pm

Not at all, I love sweets :D

I do avoid Hershey because there is a very real vomit-esque taste due to the introduction of butyric acid during manufacturing. I believe this dates back to the war and the American palette is just used to it, so it's all good.

But the rest of it though, I'm all in. Plus it was cold last night, so we had low turnout and therefore there is plenty of candy for me to finish up. That's a bloody win in my book :nod:

Nutmegger Nov 1st 2017 2:48 pm

We've never had a trick or treater here in the deep woods, so no need to buy any candy. That said, a friend said he might drop by for us to see his sons' costumes, so I bought a couple of their favorite KitKat bars just in case. As it didn't come to pass, we did consume the KitKat!

Rete Nov 1st 2017 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Redwing (Post 12372538)
I always buy apples and dole them out. Judging by their reactions, the kids love them.

Urban myth or not, too many sick people out there tampering with food stuffs given to children on Halloween.

Never allowed my children or grandchildren, nor do their parents, to take fruit, cupcakes or homemade stuff from anyone other than a trusted friend. It was properly sealed items that were inspected before they could eat them.

Boomhauer Nov 1st 2017 3:05 pm

I don't particularly like candy, the exception is the German bon-bon Nimm2. Only way to get it here is online, because none of the German grocery stores carry them. I consumed a metric ton of it when I lived in Abu Dhabi.

SultanOfSwing Nov 1st 2017 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12372632)
Urban myth or not, too many sick people out there tampering with food stuffs given to children on Halloween.

Doesn't have to be apples either ...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ndy/817115001/

Rete Nov 1st 2017 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 12372636)
I don't particularly like candy, the exception is the German bon-bon Nimm2. Only way to get it here is online, because none of the German grocery stores carry them. I consumed a metric ton of it when I lived in Abu Dhabi.

And do you now weigh the equivalent? Unless you went out trick or treating last night or plan to next year, guess the quality of US chocolate won't be an issue. ;)

BenK91 Nov 1st 2017 3:58 pm

As predicted, I do have a bit of a stomach this morning from the left over candy my wife got. I also couldn't get to sleep last night. At 26 you'd have thought I'd have learned to not eat sugary crap right before bed! :lol::lol:

WEBlue Nov 1st 2017 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by BenK91 (Post 12372691)
As predicted, I do have a bit of a stomach this morning from the left over candy my wife got. I also couldn't get to sleep last night. At 26 you'd have thought I'd have learned to not eat sugary crap right before bed! :lol::lol:

Yep, eating cr@p Halloween candy before bed also gave me a restless night, bad dreams, & a queasy tummy this morning. I blame it on not enough trick-or-treaters coming to our door!! :mad:

Plus, unfortunately, I slipped & bought a bag of sweets I'm sometimes tempted by, because it was on sale & the ones I usually buy (and dislike) were not on sale. Lesson learned!

SultanOfSwing Nov 1st 2017 7:42 pm

I've eaten so much candy in work today I'll probably not shit for a month now :(