Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Had my first medical bill last week!

Had my first medical bill last week!

Old Aug 9th 2017, 7:08 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had my first medical bill last week!

Last time I was in the US for any length of time I got really ill, just the blood tests alone cost $1,300. Anyway after all the drugs and visits to the doctor it ended up costing around $2,000. Came back to Calgary, had all the same tests done, got the same drugs, cost CAD$13. And the drugs it has to be said were nothing special and were still fantastically cheaper.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harveyspecter
Well it finally happened. It was my own fault, I made a silly mistake in my garage and sliced my left thumb open across the knuckle. It was deep but normally I'd just tape it up, however as it was across the knuckle I guessed it needed stitches which it did.

Got the bill on Friday, I was hoping it would be no more than $500, but it came out at just under a $1000! In the short time I've been working I've already saved just about enough to cover it in my HSA so it's not the end of the word, I'm just angry at myself for doing it.

I'm all better now and the hospital staff were great, but it's certainly taught me a lesson! If not the pain then the financial penalty!
Welcome to America
Old Aug 15th 2017, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Dominic0012 is an unknown quantity at this point

I went on a trip to Japan on holiday. Whilst I was there I got a MRI in a private practice as I know in the U.S. they charge a stupid sum.

Used the H.S.A. a total bill of $300

Just goes to show that for profit healthcare is a farce.

So yeah try to live near Canada and Mexico if you want to go to the hospital...
Old Aug 15th 2017, 3:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dominic0012
Really? I was traveling in Nova Scotia with my Canadian husband and I got sick. The hospital refused to see me so we wound up at a small and ugly urgent care place with a doctor with an accent thicker than molasses with a bad attitude. The cost to me was over $400 for the exam, no blood work, looked at my throat, listened to my lungs and was through and he then refused to prescribe the meds I needed and prescribed what he decided was the better drug. That cost me $115 at the pharmacy and I didn't get better. When I got back to the US I went to my own doctor, got the drug I had suggested to the Canadian wanna be doctor and it worked beautifully.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 3:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I went on a trip to Japan on holiday. Whilst I was there I got a MRI in a private practice as I know in the U.S. they charge a stupid sum.

A couple of years ago I spent a day in the ER of a Canadian hospital...I spent 5 days in hospital. I had no surgical treatment...just IV antibiotics and pain meds. The bill was in access of $30K...which we had to pay before I was allowed to leave the hospital. So no...Canadian healthcare isn't cheap.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Canada spends 11% of its GDP on healthcare compared to 17% in the US. So, definitely "not cheap" but definitely cheaper than the US.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If your not covered by a provincial health plan, expect to pay a pretty nice sum of money if you access a hospital in Canada, or need an ambulance.

Walk in clinics are generally under $200 for a visitor though if you just need to see a doctor, but hospitals charge a small fortune to non-residents and some hospitals may require a deposit upfront.

Even if you have travel insurance, some hospitals won't direct bill and require the patient to pay upfront and then recoup money from the insurance company.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 8:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If your not covered by a provincial health plan, expect to pay a pretty nice sum of money if you access a hospital in Canada, or need an ambulance.

Walk in clinics are generally under $200 for a visitor though if you just need to see a doctor, but hospitals charge a small fortune to non-residents and some hospitals may require a deposit upfront.

Even if you have travel insurance, some hospitals won't direct bill and require the patient to pay upfront and then recoup money from the insurance company.
Correct J...we had US insurance but we had to settle the hospital bill ourselves before leaving. Fortunately the insurance company reimbursed us in full within a few days.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

DebbieBullen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is definitely true, and a lesson I learned nearly nine years ago - a poison ivy rash, which I scratched at because it itched like hë11, got infected and led to blood poisoning, three nights in hospital, minor surgery under GA, .... and a $20,000 bill. Thankfully I "only" had to pay 10% of that.

We switched to HD insurance just six weeks later, but although that means now I would have paid around $3,000, it would come painlessly out of my HSA a/c. .... Mostly I learned to not be blasé about even minor skin wounds, and apply antiseptic to scratches, cracks, cuts, and pretty much any other skin-penetrating injury, frequently until healed.
Hi,

We just arrived and my husband is in the throws of sorting out medical insurance. We have Blue cross through my husbands employer but could you please explain HSA account?

Appreciate any help 😬
Old Aug 15th 2017, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebbieBullen
Hi,

We just arrived and my husband is in the throws of sorting out medical insurance. We have Blue cross through my husbands employer but could you please explain HSA account?

Appreciate any help 😬
HSA can only be contributed to if you have a HDHP.

Typically in these cases the employer will setup the account with some financial institution and may contribute some cash to it.

Money is then taken out of each pay check pre tax and deposited in the account.

You are given a debit card to spend the money on health care expenses - not just seeing a GP, but also dentist or vision.

You keep all the receipts for 6 years and tell IRS your spending on tax return.

The money in a HSA is yours forever and isn't lost at the end of year (like some plans).

There is more to it, like investment, but that's the basics.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 9:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebbieBullen
Hi,

Appreciate any help .....
An HSA is a Health Savings Account, and the easiest way to explain it is that it operates similar to a private pension or 401K, in that you can put "before tax" money into it. Then, unlike a private pension or 401K, you can use the funds at any time to pay for approved medical services and prescriptions, again tax free. And as Tom said above, you have to have high deductible insurance to be allowed to contribute to an HSA.

Because an HSA is such a good deal you are limited as to how much you can put in each year, but like a private pension, the money is yours to keep if you don't use it, and it is not tied to your employment or to your medical insurance. A husband and wife can both contributed each year, though based on my experience, one of you is only allowed to make half the maximum contribution.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 15th 2017 at 11:10 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 11:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Here you to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_savings_account
Old Aug 16th 2017, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

AhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond reputeAhCrap has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Me and my bank account slowly breaking by dental costs here. It's crazy and doesn't help that I need a significant amount of work done.

I have the best dental plan my employer offers and that's still terrible and only covers $1800 a year which is quite frankly nothing.

Seriously considering going to Mexico and having the work done!
What do they want to do to your face/mouth that costs so much each year that you consider $1800 a joke?
Old Aug 16th 2017, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AhCrap
What do they want to do to your face/mouth that costs so much each year that you consider $1800 a joke?
I was in a pretty bad car accident a few years ago and my face met the dashboard and at a fairly high speed and for whatever reason the dentistry work I had done in the U.K. was complete and utter dogshit so I now need a number of crowns and implants.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
I was in a pretty bad car accident a few years ago and my face met the dashboard and at a fairly high speed and for whatever reason the dentistry work I had done in the U.K. was complete and utter dogshit so I now need a number of crowns and implants.
I am a retired US dentist. Keep in mind that crown and bridge and implants poorly done can be worse than none at all. This type of treatment depends not only on the skills of the dentist but also on the dental lab and the quality of materials used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.