Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Guy spends 60K on new kitchen for wife... Is her reaction real?

Guy spends 60K on new kitchen for wife... Is her reaction real?

Old Jun 9th 2015, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Heading_Baltimore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Guy spends 60K on new kitchen for wife... Is her reaction real?

Just too fake. All in the name of making a name for themselves
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I suspect that your grandmother or great-grandmother could tell you that rinsing is acheived by dunking clothes down into the water then lifting them out and repeating the up and down motion until the soap was removed. Aside from the fact that we now mostly use detergents that need less water to dissolve and rinse them away, when did someone decide that rotating clothes horizontally in a shallow pool of water was an effective way to rinse clothes, or to wash them for that matter?
Clothes with detergent in them rinse better when the detergent can dissolve in a large body of water as opposed to a tiny body of water.

I don't doubt that you have been pleased enough with the performance of your top loaders, but you might be pleasantly surprised about the performance and efficiency of a front loader if you cared to join the rest of us now enjoying 21st century laundry technology.
I do have a modern front loading feature packed washer, and I hates it , hates it!

I am not going to join the 21st century for some things... I do like some aspects of the 21st century, like GPS, and like some aspects of the 20th century like Washers! Then there are some things I like which are a combination of early to mid 20th century technology + late 20th to 21st century tech, like RestoMods.

If you crawled out from under your rock you would discover that there is an epic drought in the US's most populous state and several adjoining ones, so it doesn't take a genius, or any sneaky suspicion, to realise that the government is encouraging more water efficient appliances and plumbing.
I am in the Great Lakes MidWest. We have abundant water . Californians decide to live in a desert and grow crops unsuitable for such a climate. It's not like all the water I conserve is going to California.

The problem is that the appliances are being sold as being just as good or better when it could very well not the case and simply a case of propaganda. We were told low flow shower heads and toilets were just fine but lots of people hated them.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heading_Baltimore
Just too fake. All in the name of making a name for themselves
You know what is surprising is that they had to have known the woman would get a lot of abuse for her girth. So why set yourself up.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:35 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

What front loading washing machine do you have, BoomH?
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
What front loading washing machine do you have, BoomH?
This one. GE Profile steam washer with Eco option (which I never use).
GE Profile Front Load Steam Washer (PFWS4600LWW): Remodelista

Dam thing does not even fill up water above the bottom of the door. I remember way back in early 90s when I was living in London, my Hotpoint front load filled up above the bottom of the door . I'd say about 20%-30% of the drum was filled.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 6:25 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean, 1300? AM / PM is for idiots (or Americans), last time I checked.

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Jun 9th 2015 at 6:30 am.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 11:18 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I know. I see signs like that and hang my head in shame that the public authority deems the public too stupid to understand the 24hr system. It's like one has stepped into simpleton USA :/
Old Jun 9th 2015, 11:42 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Newer top loaders barely use any water, which is especially aggravating during the rinse cycle as I have to double or triple rinse with the top loader to remove the detergent.There is no substitute for water, if one wants to get clothes rinsed properly.
Clothes with detergent in them rinse better when the detergent can dissolve in a large body of water as opposed to a tiny body of water.
The real problem may be the laundry detergent. The new HE detergents are made so that very small amounts are needed with the new eco washers. Some people still toss a whole capful in when a half-cap will do fine.

In fact, some experts say that one should try using less than half of the amount the HE detergent manufacturers "recommended" on the bottle/box--otherwise detergent remains in the clothes.

Less Detergent Washes as Well, Saves You a Lot of Money
Old Jun 9th 2015, 12:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
The real problem may be the laundry detergent. The new HE detergents are made so that very small amounts are needed with the new eco washers. Some people still toss a whole capful in when a half-cap will do fine.

In fact, some experts say that one should try using less than half of the amount the HE detergent manufacturers "recommended" on the bottle/box--otherwise detergent remains in the clothes.

Less Detergent Washes as Well, Saves ......
Half a cap? Exception for really dirty clothes, we use about a couple of tablespoons (about 1/4" in the cap), and it works just fine.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 9th 2015 at 12:27 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 12:51 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I know. I see signs like that and hang my head in shame that the public authority deems the public too stupid to understand the 24hr system. It's like one has stepped into simpleton USA :/
I wouldn't be too hasty to throw the word 'simpleton' around so freely. We've all read your posts, don't forget ...
Old Jun 9th 2015, 1:12 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Some Americans do use 24-hour time and the metric system. They also spend a lot of time abroad.

Old Jun 9th 2015, 1:20 pm
Banned

Some Americans do use 24-hour time and the metric system. They also spend a lot of time abroad.

http://www.defense.gov/DODCMSShare/N...3612M-019a.jpg
I know, America's finest 'patriots'. To everyone else, they're brainwashed killing machines.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 1:23 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

The guy in the back row seems unusually short. The ones in front have to kneel down so that he can see.
Banned

This one. GE Profile steam washer with Eco option (which I never use).
GE Profile Front Load Steam Washer (PFWS4600LWW): Remodelista

Dam thing does not even fill up water above the bottom of the door. I remember way back in early 90s when I was living in London, my Hotpoint front load filled up above the bottom of the door . I'd say about 20%-30% of the drum was filled.

The GE model looks good enough, and shouldn't be experiencing any of the issues you cite. Are you using HE detergent? If so, how much? Concerning the 20-30% of the drum being filled with water; that sounds perfectly acceptable to me. Why do you believe your washing machine should use more water? Is it due to detergent still being left on your clothes? If so, that's the fault of either too much detergent or just buying a crappy washing machine.

I've had both Bosch and Miele washing machines, and none exhibited any of the issues you cite.

Frankly, I get bored listening to (usually Americans) whine about front loaders. They're wrong, pure and simple. It's like trying to defend buying a Chevrolet when you should have bought a VW.
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't waste your time, to be honest. He's doing it deliberately.

Nobody is really that dim-witted to believe the the absolute pinnacle of cultural superiority is knowing there are 24 hours in a day, and being able to divide and multiply by ten.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.