Gun Ownership

Old May 5th 2017, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gun Ownership

Not to be that guy, but this thread has nothing to do with Healthcare..

I will however, agree with Tom.

Also, this is spot on:
Originally Posted by Pulaski
But you can't change it, and I can't see it ever changing. Your choices are (i) accept the situation, (ii) leave the US, or (iii) drive yourself nuts over the insanity of it all!
Old May 5th 2017, 1:57 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NYer
No, they still are under the Federal Employers Health Benefits Program with a "gold" plan that can be purchased through an exchange. (Nothing like the $4,000 a month premium United Healthcare tried to stick us with in January, I presume.) In fact, it seems Congress has the best of both worlds although today's ACA reform may have changed that.
A couple of points.

1. The program you cite, *is* an ACA exchange. Healthcare: Where do members of Congress get their coverage? - LA Times

2. The GOP just exempted themselves from surrendering their ACA plans. Congressional exemption from GOP healthcare plan to be addressed separately | TheHill
Old May 5th 2017, 2:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old May 5th 2017, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

As interesting as that was...

Thank you everyone. I've found out I can do my Hunters Ed online (including a conclusion class about 10 miles away) for around $30 and that should help. I've been living in CO for 6 months as of next week so I should be set.

Would like another Browning 725 Sporting as it's what I had back home, but some of the Remington's are lovely.
Old May 5th 2017, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
As interesting as that was...

Thank you everyone. I've found out I can do my Hunters Ed online (including a conclusion class about 10 miles away) for around $30 and that should help. I've been living in CO for 6 months as of next week so I should be set.

Would like another Browning 725 Sporting as it's what I had back home, but some of the Remington's are lovely.
Cool! I think I might do one here just for fun, even though I have no intention of going hunting for the time being.
Old May 5th 2017, 3:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NYer
LOL! Legal gun owners and members of the NRA have extremely low rates of gun violence. It's the inner cities that are saturated with illegal and stolen weapons where most American crime occurs. If you live in lily-white suburbia, you have very little chance of being gunned down by a freak. And I hope most people don't wish evil on legal gun sellers or the people who process the permits.
You are correct. For middle class America, in the leafy 'burbs, the risk to life and limb from guns is very low. It has been debated before on BE about "how can Americans tolerate the appalling level of gun violence?" Well mostly it is compartmentalized - gun violence "happens to other people". In truth the high murder rate is mostly a result of drugs, gangs and "hip hop culture", so having no impact on most Americans. Most of the rest of the killings are family disputes leading to murder, or to murder-suicide.

I certainly don't feel any more at risk than I did in the UK, although I know two men in prison for homicide, one for life, the other for 22 years (for entirely unrelated crimes). I also knew, to speak to, though not well, two victims of homicide in the US (again unrelated crimes).

By comparison, in the UK I didn't know any killer's and only two victims of murder, but one was reportedly a Russian mafia killing.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 5th 2017 at 4:02 am.
Old May 5th 2017, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

I would highly recommend Remington.

I've got a Remington 700 in a .308 and it is amazing.

I also have a Remington 870 12 gauge pump for waterfowl which is also the best gun I have ever shot. I used Browning before but the Remington blows it out of the water in my opinion.

Each to their own but hunting is great! If you hurry with your hunters ed, you could probably enter for tag draws in your state.
Old May 5th 2017, 5:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope draw done for this year, over the counter only.
Old May 5th 2017, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Nope draw done for this year, over the counter only.
Wow that was an early draw. At least over the counter is still an option.

The draw here in Idaho only just opened so I have to put in for tags this week. Draws close early June here.
Old May 5th 2017, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You are correct. For middle class America, in the leafy 'burbs, the risk to life and limb from guns is very low. It has been debated before on BE about "how can Americans tolerate the appalling level of gun violence?" Well mostly it is compartmentalized - gun violence "happens to other people". In truth the high murder rate is mostly a result of drugs, gangs and "hip hop culture", so having no impact on most Americans. Most of the rest of the killings are family disputes leading to murder, or to murder-suicide.

I certainly don't feel any more at risk than I did in the UK, although I know two men in prison for homicide, one for life, the other for 22 years (for entirely unrelated crimes). I also knew, to speak to, though not well, two victims of homicide in the US (again unrelated crimes).

By comparison, in the UK I didn't know any killer's and only two victims of murder, but one was reportedly a Russian mafia killing.
Also, in the inner cities, family disintegration is one of the major causes of crime: fatherless homes, mothers working more than one job, the gang becoming loco parentis. Here in Outer Whitelandia, there is barely any violent gun crimes.
Old May 5th 2017, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice! I'm currently looking at the Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting.
Old May 5th 2017, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I've found out I can do my Hunters Ed online (including a conclusion class about 10 miles away) for around $30 and that should help.
The online course is mindnumbingly dull. It contains misleading and confusing questions that aren't answered by the course materials, but the rest is really easy. You have to view each page for at least 30 seconds before it lets you go to the next one, even if it only contains 2 seconds of reading material, so it takes hours to go through it.

Took me months to book the practical portion of the course, they filled up so fast. This was during the Obama "takin' guns" paranoia era so it might be easier now.

The practical was really easy, you have another quiz that they essentially feed you the answers to and I got to mark my own test! A twelve-year-old kid quite clearly failed the muzzle control part but the instructor let him pass anyway with a warning. I would not let that kid near a nerfgun. Still, got my little bit of cardboard.
Old May 5th 2017, 3:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Failed muzzle control and still got a pass???That's.... worrying
Old May 5th 2017, 5:47 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Horace is back, mother****ers. I've missed the drama, keep it up lads, it's brightening my lunch break no end.

Good luck with your guns, but archery is still better ...
Old May 5th 2017, 5:49 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Archery is indeed fun too, and more skillful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.