Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Gun ooks breaking the law....

Gun ooks breaking the law....

Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:55 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gun ooks breaking the law....

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Yep.

Incidentally, it turns out that both cops and feds have criticized Bloomberg for this stunt, saying it screws up ongoing investigations.

They told him that last time, too.
Gawd forbid that politicians get in the way of law enforcement.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:06 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

How will more legislation help?

The gun show dealers broke the law by selling to people they thought would not pass a background check, and the proposed solution is to do what? Pass a law that requires gun show dealers to run background checks? How would this help exactly? Would the same gun show dealers suddenly decide to abide by the law because it had a different format?

I'm all for regulating gun ownership, but shouldn't we enforce the existing laws before passing more laws? Are we not trying to penalize the law abiding gun traders with all the paperwork and costs associated with more laws? If we can't enforce the current laws then what use is another law?

Its like the ridiculous do not carry signs at shopping malls, which just inconvenience law abiding concealed carry owners. If signs stating "no guns" deterred criminals then we could just stick a "no bank robbers" sign at all the banks
Old Oct 12th 2009, 7:12 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Its like the ridiculous do not carry signs at shopping malls, which just inconvenience law abiding concealed carry owners. If signs stating "no guns" deterred criminals then we could just stick a "no bank robbers" sign at all the banks
Yeah I know, aint it funny how the mass shootings all take place where legally held firearms are prohibited......mmmmm wonder why that is???? In fact I believe a shooting was curtailed not long ago by an off-duty cop in a mall carrying his gun "illegally"

Bloomberg is a prick, I'm glad the major of my city withdrew from his mayors against illegal guns association.

We should just enforce the existing laws via the law enforcement agencies!

Oh yeah, I'm an NRA and NRAILA member, please excuse my Kookiness
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

SirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thinbrit

The gun show dealers broke the law by selling to people they thought would not pass a background check, and the proposed solution is to do what? Pass a law that requires gun show dealers to run background checks? How would this help exactly?
How can they pass a law (2) that already exists (1)?

I think you will find that gun show dealers (i.e. those people whose business it is - and have a FFL) are already supposed to run background checks - and risk losing their FFL if they don't (and get caught, of course).

The main beef is with the 'private' sellers (whatever 'private' means FFS) - they do NOT have to run background checks - but they MUST NOT sell if they have a reasonable suspicion that the purchaser would not pass a BG check.
So you get sellers who get round the need to run a check by calling themselves 'private' but in fact they sell lots of guns. Now in order to sell 348 guns in a year, (as the guy admitted) either you have a collection that rivals your average NG Armoury - or you're no more "private' than S&W - so you ignore the 'likely' test or let the buyer get some surrogate to complete the gun purchase.

If I was a dealer at a show - and I had to compete with some 'private' seller who didnt have the trading restrictions I am subject to - I'd be slightly pissed.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

SirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud ofSirSteveUK has much to be proud of

"That report has given gun shows a bad name," said David Evans, a firearms dealer based in Cleveland, Tenn. "I'd like to have a talk with Mr. Bloomberg."

Evans, who brought dozens of rifles and handguns to the gun show in Franklin, said he follows every gun law there is and keeps meticulous records of who purchases his guns.

"You can come to me 25 years from now and ask me who I sold a gun to and I'll tell you," Evans said. "With any law that's out there, somebody's going to break it. I follow the laws, and if I don't, I'm subject to a $100,000 fine and 10 years in jail."
Why should showing instances of lawbreaking give gun shows a bad name ?? Does issuing a parking ticket condemn all drivers?

Do they honestly think people will not go to them because of the Bloomberg report??

E. Rick Lisi Jr., owner of Gunny's Gun Shop in Livingston, Tenn., said there is a loophole. He pointed to a man sitting at a table near his and said the man was selling guns to anyone who paid cash and wasn't asking for background checks.

Lisi, who is a deputy with the Clay County Sheriff's Department, said gun show promoters should allow only federally licensed dealers at their shows.

"The quickest way to fix it, to shut down the loophole, is to make everyone do a background check," Lisi said. "There you go — no more loophole."
That is the best thing I ever heard from a gun dealer. If you are a private citizen with a gun to sell - sell it to a dealer - no more private-to-private sales.

People who want to buy a gun (but want to do it legally) have no problem - they just insist on completing the form and the phone background check.

"Paperwork? PAPERWORK? We don't need no stinking paperwork!!"
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
Bloomberg is a prick,
Well I'm glad you've sorted that one out for us.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bloomberg is a prick
So the undercover investigators showing up ACORN were also pricks.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:55 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SirSteveUK
So the undercover investigators showing up ACORN were also pricks.
They were private citizens. Bloomberg was misusing his office. That's the difference.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

crosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud of

They were private citizens. Bloomberg was misusing his office. That's the difference.
Precisely- just wonder why he can't stay with his ass in NY.

Nobody needs him in other states- we a working law enforcement also in the rest of the US.

CCR
Old Oct 12th 2009, 10:07 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by crosscountryrider
Precisely- just wonder why he can't stay with his ass in NY.

Nobody needs him in other states- we a working law enforcement also in the rest of the US.

CCR
Circle the wagons and keep those damn Yankees out!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 12:16 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Well I'm glad you've sorted that one out for us.
Nar he is, I smell a presidential bid coming, he's building himself a band wagon to jump on.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Nar he is, I smell a presidential bid coming, he's building himself a band wagon to jump on.
Well, he sure is starting early then - 2016 is a long way off - reckon his band wagon gonna need at least two oil changes and a new set of tyres.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 1:39 am

That is the best thing I ever heard from a gun dealer. If you are a private citizen with a gun to sell - sell it to a dealer - no more private-to-private sales.
Yep, because what the world needs is more middlemen, rent-seeking off the back of an out of control bureaucracy.

It's a matter of property rights. There's a huge difference between a law that says I can't sell a gun to somebody I have reason to believe is a convicted felon* and one saying that I can only sell a gun, at below market value, to somebody who has paid geld to the bureaucracy.

* Incidentally, this happens much less often than Bloomberg and the media would have you believe. There are a lot of private sales round our way. Most are between people who already know each other. In the remaining cases, the seller usually asks to see a drivers license (and notes down the details) or, preferably, a CHL (which, in TX, exempts you from a NICS check anyway).

Well, he sure is starting early then - 2016 is a long way off - reckon his band wagon gonna need at least two oil changes and a new set of tyres.
Folks like him and Soros plan far, far ahead. It's almost as if they were members of an organisation called SMERSH, or something...
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:20 am
Septicity

Folks like Soros plan far, far ahead.
My favorite billionaire!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
My favorite billionaire!
You work for one of his front orgs, don't you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.