British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Guaranteed Vacation Time by Country (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/guaranteed-vacation-time-country-848763/)

Hotscot Dec 13th 2014 3:41 pm

Guaranteed Vacation Time by Country

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1...re-sick-mother

http://wp.newrepublic.com/wp-content...acation-22.png

Pulaski Dec 13th 2014 4:28 pm

Re: Guaranteed Vacation Time by Country

Looks to me like the UK figure has the paid public holidays rolled into the paid vacation days. I suspect that is the same with (most of) the others that show no paid public holidays.

rpjs Dec 13th 2014 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11501210)
Looks to me like the UK figure has the paid public holidays rolled into the paid vacation days. I suspect that is the same with (most of) the others that show no paid public holidays.

The last Labour government added nine days to the EU twenty days minimun because whilst most employers were giving the statutory public holidays or time off in lieu in addition to EU twenty, some did not or deducted them from the EU twenty.

FinnDiego Dec 13th 2014 9:27 pm

Or is it a question of "guarantee"? Finland is the same, plus vacation is actually more complicated than that but eventually gets to five weeks per year. Pretty much all the usual holidays, but the catch is if the holiday falls on a weekend you effectively lose it - no "observed" day the previous Friday or following Monday. On a year where December 25th, 26th and January 1st are on a weekend you'll "lose" three out of your four holiday days over the Christmas/New Year period!

Obviously things like Good Friday and Easter Monday are always Friday and Monday though, so I'd think there would be some listed, unless they aren't "guaranteed" in whatever sense the researchers used.

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 14th 2014 2:28 am

Why are paid holidays always included as being time off work in these polls? Not everyone gets holidays off even when paid for them, so there is no extra time off. I don't get consider the 9 holidays we get (I think its 9 now) as time off or vacation, I get holiday pay, but never get the days off, so no different then any other day really.

Although we do get 10 days a year vacation days after your with your employer for 1 year or more, change employers and you have to wait until you have been with the new employer 1 year before you get vacation again, never spend more then a year with the same employer, well then no vacation.

These graphs are misleading sometimes as while they show Canada, they don't mention millions work on those paid holidays, nor the small print in order to get 10 days vacation, most notably being with your employer more then 1 year.

Michael Dec 14th 2014 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11501475)
Why are paid holidays always included as being time off work in these polls? Not everyone gets holidays off even when paid for them, so there is no extra time off. I don't get consider the 9 holidays we get (I think its 9 now) as time off or vacation, I get holiday pay, but never get the days off, so no different then any other day really.

Although we do get 10 days a year vacation days after your with your employer for 1 year or more, change employers and you have to wait until you have been with the new employer 1 year before you get vacation again, never spend more then a year with the same employer, well then no vacation.

These graphs are misleading sometimes as while they show Canada, they don't mention millions work on those paid holidays, nor the small print in order to get 10 days vacation, most notably being with your employer more then 1 year.

I suspect in any country holidays are not guaranteed time off or the country would stop working for that day and the crooks would be the only ones to have a holiday. With no police and security guards, the crooks would have a field day, with no medical workers, people would die, with no hotel workers, people wouldn't have any place to stay, with no pilots, stewards, baggage handlers, and control tower personal, airports would shut down, etc.

Ricky_85 Dec 14th 2014 2:55 pm

It's interesting because I even opened a thread about that...
Surfing the web, since I'm interested about this issue, I came across this website:
Sick Leave vs. Paid Time Off (PTO)

Does this article have some truth in it?
To recap the article: most US employers offer: 2 weeks vacation, 10 paid Holidays, 2 personal days and 8 sick leave. Total 30.

Even if we don't take into account the last two items, we do have 2 weeks paid+10 holidays for a total of 24... Right?

Hotscot Dec 14th 2014 3:03 pm

Nothing guaranteed....

Ricky_85 Dec 14th 2014 3:12 pm

Yeah I know there's no federal mandate, but I think I read that at least 3/4 of companies do offer some PTO

Hotscot Dec 14th 2014 4:15 pm

Well, generally professional employers do but others may not.
It'll just depend where you're working of course...

Derrygal Dec 14th 2014 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11501895)

Exactly - the woman who cuts my hair takes one week off (unpaid) per year!

Bob Dec 14th 2014 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11501895)

And it's all muddled up in how they count it. Plenty of places just give PTO, that includes the public holidays and sick leave.

Hotscot Dec 14th 2014 8:26 pm

Exactly. No rules whatsoever.
(You been losing weight?)

amideislas Dec 14th 2014 8:37 pm

This is bullshit.
The usual in the US is 2 weeks, not ZERO.
For senior employees 3-6 weeks is the norm.

Derrygal Dec 14th 2014 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11502055)
This is bullshit.
The usual in the US is 2 weeks, not ZERO.
For senior employees 3-6 weeks is the norm.

I think what the OP was implying is that LEGALLY there is no set minimum for paid vacation. In other words, employers can make their employees work 52 weeks a year if they wanted to. Of course, this doesn't happen much, but by law they can.