Grocery Shopping!!!

Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Grocery Shopping!!!

Well have been here a bit over a month now and am fast finding my biggest bug bear is grocery shopping.
There is just something that totally winds me up about people not even making an effort to bag a few groceries and move things along. I just makes no sense to me. I did read a douple of other threads where people were commenting that they expect the full service but these are not full service stores. It's Safeway??

Today we went and I basically did it myself and have no problem with that. There were not enough spare staff to pitch in anyway so would we let a weeks worth of groceries pile up and get squashed? No.

Have to say the icing on the cake was being asked by another customer where the logs or something were??? Just because I was bagging doesn't mean I work here.

I can laugh about it now but I guess I'll try do the groceries off peak times in future.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:31 pm
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grocery Shopping!!!

Well in my local supermarket, they like to pack the shopping for you but it's usually restricted to one item per bag so you end up with about 50 bloody bags! Talk about doing your bit for the environment!
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:51 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Well have been here a bit over a month now and am fast finding my biggest bug bear is grocery shopping.
There is just something that totally winds me up about people not even making an effort to bag a few groceries and move things along. I just makes no sense to me. I did read a douple of other threads where people were commenting that they expect the full service but these are not full service stores. It's Safeway??

Today we went and I basically did it myself and have no problem with that. There were not enough spare staff to pitch in anyway so would we let a weeks worth of groceries pile up and get squashed? No.

Have to say the icing on the cake was being asked by another customer where the logs or something were??? Just because I was bagging doesn't mean I work here.

I can laugh about it now but I guess I'll try do the groceries off peak times in future.

I've started bagging my own groceries before if they were short handed at the registers but they look at you like you're committing a crime or something, it's weird!
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:58 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
I've started bagging my own groceries before if they were short handed at the registers but they look at you like you're committing a crime or something, it's weird!
As a former cashier I can tell you that nothing ticked me off more than having a 200.00 order and no bagger and the customer stands there and looks at you like you have two heads (and doesn't offer to lift a finger)
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:02 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

hehe - i enjoy winding up the cashiers in walmart. i start moving things into bags they have deemed 'full' with just 1 thing in - trying to cut down on the total amount of bags.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I just got back from the market and I bagged my own groceries and the cashier said thank you. They do have baggers for this as Super Stop and Shop in our area employees handicapped people to do these jobs but my register didn't have one so I did it myself. In all my years of grocery shopping (over 30) I have always bagged myself. Guess it depends on the area of the country, the store and the shoppers. I also use cloth bags for shopping.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:04 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

I bag if there are none as I want to get out of there as fast as possible!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
I do that a lot too, often end up with the same reaction
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:40 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I do that a lot too, often end up with the same reaction

LOL ... probably just a look of disbelief that someone would bag their own groceries. You guys might be the rarity in your neighborhood supermarket.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't bother doing it in Dominicks or Jewel where they have a staff member doing it. But I do make it known that I am repacking it before I leave! Well not so much these days, but when I was getting the bus home with a weeks worth then 4 bags were much easier to manage than 24.
But I still do it at Trader Joes since it drives me mad that the checkout staff take so long to do it, holding up the line. I used to get weird looks at first but over time they've gotten used to me, I used to tell them that it wasn't as if I had anything better to do.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

I always pack my own groceries as well if the bagger isn't there,it doesn't bother me me I always get the weird looks but I just say that's okay I'm fine at bagging my own shopping....they still seem to think I'm strange,but I don't care!....at the same time having all those bags with one thing in them drives me nuts!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:54 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
I always pack my own groceries as well if the bagger isn't there,it doesn't bother me me I always get the weird looks but I just say that's okay I'm fine at bagging my own shopping....they still seem to think I'm strange,but I don't care!....at the same time having all those bags with one thing in them drives me nuts!
Same here.

I nearly always take my own bags. I have large, sturdy Sainsbury's bags which I've had for nearly 2 years and they are still going strong. They are bright orange and attract a fair bit of attention

(PS: I saw some similar - albeit less colourful - bags being offered at Costco the other day. Sadly I did not see anyone buying them. Beats me why peeps want a tangle of dozens of tiny plastic bags when they could put everything into a few sturdy big bags...)
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:07 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose I will have to actually enter a supermarket to see what
this is all about .. But I much prefer to wait in the car park
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk

Its odd that you all have that problem... i think there are too many supermarkets here in TN. Therfe is always an empty checkout and always someone there to bag. AT my local Publix the staff all know my name just because they take the time and effort to be friendly and are SUPER nice. Even on Christmas eve the stores were nothing like Tesco. Sooo odd!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
As a former cashier I can tell you that nothing ticked me off more than having a 200.00 order and no bagger and the customer stands there and looks at you like you have two heads (and doesn't offer to lift a finger)
I have to agree with you here Cindy. But what tickrf me off a bit more is that I knew some of the baggers were screwing around somewhere and not doing their job (since I had been a bagger before a cashier). I always felt bad when a customer would help bag their groceries but I also appreciated the help.

We use canvas bags now too. I had one old fart of a bagger get belligerant with me about using them. He said "why would anyone want to use these things". He seemed to be on the verge of refusing to bag anything in them when I told him if he didn't like it, I could do it for him. He shut up then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.