Wikiposts

Green Fingers?

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Fingers?

Originally Posted by Bink
I love mojito's but mint doesn't last much more than a day or so if I buy it from the store (most herbs don't to be honest) so it would be great to have a ready supply in the garden!
If they're still on the stalks, trim the bottoms of the stalks and stick them in a glass of water and they'll last ages.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

OK, so have done a bit of research and it seems I either need to get the vacuum out to get rid of the white flies that are on my tomato plants or get some sticky yellow tape that the flies are attracted to and will get stuck on. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 11:50 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holliver
OK, so have done a bit of research and it seems I either need to get the vacuum out to get rid of the white flies that are on my tomato plants or get some sticky yellow tape that the flies are attracted to and will get stuck on. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
I have some on an indoor pot with a small plant, a Thai Hot Pepper, It is small enough that I can manipulate it under a fast flowing tap, it does get rid of the nymphs. Some information here
Old Jun 4th 2013, 1:57 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If they're still on the stalks, trim the bottoms of the stalks and stick them in a glass of water and they'll last ages.
Thanks. Feel pretty dumb now for not thinking of that...
Old Jun 4th 2013, 9:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Thanks. Feel pretty dumb now for not thinking of that...
I've only thought of doing that this summer too

The mint does last ages and grew roots and seems to do well. We've done the same with spring onions and they keep regrowing quite nicely.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 5:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Finally plucked some lettuce type stuff from the garden.

Tomatoes, well a couple of the plants have a lot of flowers growing, but no fruit yet.

Still not sure about a few of the plants, they might be pumpkins, cucumbers or squash...
Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:19 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Heres my weekend crop. I've been getting about the same every week for weeks now, the cherry tomatoes twice a week. Sorry i resized the photo in photobucket but it always shows up huge here. I'm not sure how bell peppers work, i assumed the different colours were different varietites but my bell paper that was green suddenly started turning red as i left it longer on the plant. Maybe thats why red peppers are twice the cost of green peppers in the stores?
I'm starting to have to pick the tomates before they get really ripe. The temperatures are reaching 110 degrees now. The tomatoes can crack if you leave them on too long and also the birds get at them. They rippen up fine inside for 2-3 days. I've been giving away tomatoes to friends we have so many. I've had no problems with bugs or weeds. I will be closing it down in a couple of weeks as I'm on vacation and the plants leafs are starting to brown and fall off, expecially the side of the garden that gets the hot late afternoon sun. Ideally i would need to construct some sort of shade, but i'm not sure that would help. Its 110 degrees I'm surprised i don't get fried green tomatoes

Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Heres my weekend crop. I've been getting about the same every week for weeks now, the cherry tomatoes twice a week. Sorry i resized the photo in photobucket but it always shows up huge here. I'm not sure how bell peppers work, i assumed the different colours were different varietites but my bell paper that was green suddenly started turning red as i left it longer on the plant. Maybe thats why red peppers are twice the cost of green peppers in the stores?
I'm starting to have to pick the tomates before they get really ripe. The temperatures are reaching 110 degrees now. The tomatoes can crack if you leave them on too long and also the birds get at them. They rippen up fine inside for 2-3 days. I've been giving away tomatoes to friends we have so many. I've had no problems with bugs or weeds. I will be closing it down in a couple of weeks as I'm on vacation and the plants leafs are starting to brown and fall off, expecially the side of the garden that gets the hot late afternoon sun. Ideally i would need to construct some sort of shade, but i'm not sure that would help. Its 110 degrees I'm surprised i don't get fried green tomatoes

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/a...616_105110.jpg
http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/a...615_131655.jpg

Looking good. Need to pick my tomatoes now. Do you cut or pull them off?
Old Jun 18th 2013, 9:47 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

My accidental tomato plants have finally given up the ghost - I think the heat just got to them in the end. We had about 10 points of grape-size rather tasty little tomatoes off them in total - not bad for something we didn't even plant. Its given me the interest to get some raised beds installed and actually do something "on purpose" next year.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 11:07 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holliver
Looking good. Need to pick my tomatoes now. Do you cut or pull them off?
i pull them off. The cherry tomatoes just fall off into your hand.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 11:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob

http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/a...616_105110.jpg
http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/a...615_131655.jpg
They look great!

We're planning on making a lot of salsas and tomato sauces and perhaps try and make some paste. I say we, but I mean the missus....and that's if we ever actually get anything
Old Jun 19th 2013, 9:00 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Well, this crazy weather at the moment has made all my lettuces bolt - not happy
Old Jul 7th 2013, 4:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Back from our holiday and things haven't died, luckily.

The unknown plants turned out to be summer squash, which is annoying as I didn't plant any and think it's minging. So plenty of that ribboned up in pasta and breaded chips I guess.

Loads of rocket and other lettuce leaves and the French beans are doing really well, as is the onions. Tomatoes still have loads of flowers, there's a few green tomatoes appearing though.

Upstairs folks have loads of snap peas, tomatoes and peppers growing and the corn seems to be doing well.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 12:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Now in to August... How is everyone doing?

The summer squash had a break but now coming back again.

We have millions of tomatoes, but not a single one has turned red yet, neighbours have had two ripen.

Lots of green beans, peppers and neighbours have millions of aubergines and corn which has been amazingly sweet.

Also have a few pumpkins appearing, even though the leaves are taking over.

So anyone grow water melon? Wonder how long takes and much space it end up taking...
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 2:36 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Now in to August... How is everyone doing?

The summer squash had a break but now coming back again.

We have millions of tomatoes, but not a single one has turned red yet, neighbours have had two ripen.

Lots of green beans, peppers and neighbours have millions of aubergines and corn which has been amazingly sweet.

Also have a few pumpkins appearing, even though the leaves are taking over.

So anyone grow water melon? Wonder how long takes and much space it end up taking...
Yes, all my tomatoes have been green forever. Are they EVER going to turn red? Also, some of the lower leaves/branches on the tomato plants are turning sickly yellow.

As for the other things I planted, many gave up in the heat wave last month, including the mint which I had an idea was very hardy (but I guess not). Only one parsley plant is thriving, and a sage is half-alive but may not make it. I've got a bit of lettuce too, but barely enough for a garnish, not even a whole salad.

But I can consider myself lucky compared to someone I spoke to who had deer come through her garden and eat and/or trample everything....

Last edited by WEBlue; Aug 3rd 2013 at 2:40 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.