Wikiposts

Green Fingers?

Old May 19th 2013, 10:47 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Fingers?

Well my mint is going OK. Originally planted as a transplant.
This weekend we had some lamb chops from Costco cooked with our own grown rosmary. I made my own mint sauce using sarsons malt vinegar

Also used the mint in a del boy style pimms drink which I never had before.

Old May 19th 2013, 10:52 am
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

my 4x4 planter is doing OK. The cherry tomatoes taste like nothing in the store, they are really flavorful. I have one green bell pepper that's about 2 inches long. No sign of anything from the cucumber. And the watermelons are causing doubts as to whether or not they are actually watermelons (see photo)

Old May 19th 2013, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have green space a my apartment, but I am a memeber of a club called Farm at my university. We take care of the planters at our campus, which involves growing raspberries, artichoke, cucumbers, and other things. We tried doing spuds, and they were successful, but the soil we were growing them in had too high a lead content, so we had to toss them all.
Old May 19th 2013, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I've planted lettuce, cucumber, strawberries and spuds so far. Only the lettuce is coming up but then again they've only been in a week or 2. We're moving to a new place in 2 weeks so when we're in I'll finally get chance to plant the rest. Whether or not it grows is another matter
Old May 19th 2013, 12:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Our lettuce seems to be doing well. The tomato plants are doing okay.

We've got some unknown things growning, but can't tell if they're what I planted or just some weeds.

All the herbs seemed to have died gone away though, which is a shame as the basil was doing fantastically, till we buggered off for our hols and there was a frost. Probably didn't help that we got another frost last week too.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

So how is everyone doing?

Our tomatoes are still doing well and we've got 4 random bean/pea things going.

Possibly a couple of cucumbers or squash. The mint is doing okay and some basil seems to have appeared again.

Then we've got what looks like some random flowers, either that or they're epic weeds, but not sure yet.

Oh and lettuce, the random types of are doing really well.

Our neighbours seem to be doing well with peppers, corn and pumpkin type plants.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

We've got... stuff... growing. Looks like spring onions and a few other things. But no sign of the pumpkins. I'm surprised anything has grown as our sprinklers seem rather temperamental. I need to have them on late night so I can check if they're working (ideally should be middle of the night apparently - too early and you risk mould/fungus stuff; too late and it evaporates).
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:15 am
Account Closed

My herbs are going great. I'm loving a slice of English mint in a drink of water with lemon and orange slices.

My 4x4 raised bed has produced bowls full of cherry tomatoes that taste great. I never realized they could taste so good, much better than the bland ones from the store. Apart from that i've had 3 huge cucumbers (America ones). I've also had a couple dozen or so full sized tomatoes which also tasted great. We have been giving away tomatoes to neighbours and friends as we won't get around to consuming them, and you can't really freeze them.

I'm not sure how long it going be producing, temps are nearing 110 and some of the plants are look stressed despite regular watering. I'm not sure how long the plants are supposed to last anyway?

I've had no problem with pests or weeds at all. The biggest disappointment is the bell pepper plant, its got one pepper growing that has reached the the size of a pool ball and just stopped. I think my garden is too overcrowded and some plants are constantly in the shade.
I may consider a second 4x4 raised bed next year and planting earlier, after we see what we can grow in an Arizona winter.

Hope everyone else has had some luck.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Parsley is all but dead.

My tomato leaves have got brown spotches on them and have turned yellow. Just investigated a bit more and found a load of white flies and what looks like eggs on the underside of them What should I do?

Oh, and some little critters have been eating all my basil
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GeoffM
We've got... stuff... growing. Looks like spring onions and a few other things. But no sign of the pumpkins. I'm surprised anything has grown as our sprinklers seem rather temperamental. I need to have them on late night so I can check if they're working (ideally should be middle of the night apparently - too early and you risk mould/fungus stuff; too late and it evaporates).
I found some mini mushroom type things growing in with my tomatoes. What's going on there?
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 11:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by GeoffM
We've got... stuff... growing. Looks like spring onions and a few other things...
Oh yes, it also looks like we have a few onion type things growing too, not that I remember planting any.

We did have 3 sunflower plants growing, two of them were doing great but one of them has disappeared, so we only have one growing away.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 12:58 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Isn't it funny what the wild creatures get a taste for? You'd think a little chipmunk would have trouble climbing up the cornstalks, when there are other tasty vegetables sitting there waiting on or near the ground.

I've been limited to windowsill pots of herbs for a while because we're renting while hunting for a place to buy. But we have an offer on the table now & if it's accepted I could start a garden of some kind later in the spring. I've had pretty good ones going in both the US & the UK in the past, so here's hoping.

Wild animals helping themselves to the crop seems to be a problem in CT, though. My relatives around here who live in the woods seem to have big trouble with deer, raccoons, squirrels, various birds (crows I think) and who knows what else. I'm hoping I won't have to lock everything up inside a mesh fortress like Toopie's friend.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 1:10 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
That's an awesome pic!
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 1:15 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I've tried growing mint before, at the last place and it didn't do so well either...but we finally have a sprouting of mint now.

Basil has always been a bit meh in the previous place, grew but didn't flourish, but the stuff the neighbours grew last year did well.

Not had much luck with chives or rosemary before either and we've never really bothered with parsley as we don't really use that much of it.
I never struggled with rosemary or chives in the UK - they were the two things I always managed to grow successfully. In the case of rosemary it always took to well and was hard to keep under control. I have never been able to grow Basil or coriander (cilantro). I hear they grow well here so I need to try. Mint too. I love mojito's but mint doesn't last much more than a day or so if I buy it from the store (most herbs don't to be honest) so it would be great to have a ready supply in the garden!
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 1:25 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

The best way to grow potatoes is to lay the sets on level ground and put about three inches of straw over them. It keeps the light off them and makes them easy to take one or two from a plant without digging the whole thing up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.