Wikiposts

Green Fingers?

Old Apr 9th 2013, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Fingers?

I haven't done anything in our garden here, although I had a very nice veg garden in Calgary. We have just returned from a trip so it is time to plan my garden but first I need to get some good top soil in place.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

We've built two elevated 2' x 4' square foot gardening boxes (legs are around 28" tall, plus sides of 8", roughly) and will be planting various things - carrots, cantaloupe, kale, lettuce, rocket, chives and some others that I've forgotten in there. Then we're going for tomatoes and bell peppers in Topsy-Turvys, and courgettes and red onions in the ground.

We tried herbs last year and they didn't work, but we'll try again. Bugwife is somewhat proud of her black thumb
Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Our basil is taking off like crazy...okay, they're still stumps at the moment, but there are a lot of them.

Some tomatoes have sprouted too, quite a few even.

Not seeing anything from the mint or lavender yet.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:25 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
We've built two elevated 2' x 4' square foot gardening boxes (legs are around 28" tall, plus sides of 8", roughly) and will be planting various things - carrots, cantaloupe, kale, lettuce, rocket, chives and some others that I've forgotten in there. Then we're going for tomatoes and bell peppers in Topsy-Turvys, and courgettes and red onions in the ground.

We tried herbs last year and they didn't work, but we'll try again. Bugwife is somewhat proud of her black thumb
good luck but I got to guess you are too late for lettuce and the deep root veg such as carrot are better off planted in the winter. I planted tomatoes and bell peppers in Arizona from plants in March, I see the buds growing already.

My county has a plating schedule that I follow, you might want to google yours.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Nice, do you think as Brits we will have a mine are bigger than yours situation going on
Old Apr 9th 2013, 3:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Nice, do you think as Brits we will have a mine are bigger than yours situation going on
I'd just be happy not to kill them when I move them outdoors
Old Apr 10th 2013, 4:03 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

We do a garden every year, 20' x 10'. This year we have planted to rows of Swiss Chard, 1 of potatoes (never grown them before but wth), a jumbo cabbage plant IP jr. brought home from school as part of a contest, a 4' x 10' trellis of cukes and another of pole beans, zuccini, yellow squash and about 6-8 tomato plants of various varieties and maybe a few pepper plants.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

We finally got round to it this year. We decided to start off slow - we have tomatoes, basil, spring onions and parsley. I think the parsley is almost dead already. We rent, so don't have much room on the balcony.

The tomato plants have grown a lot since we bought them, but I don't know when to expect any actual tomatoes. The spring onions were taken from MIL's garden, they were delicious. I cut them off near the bottom/white part and they seem to be growing again, but don't look so thick as they were.

When we get a house we hope to plant more stuff, but I'm not sure how a good a gardener I am! Just waiting to see what happens with this stuff.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
good luck but I got to guess you are too late for lettuce and the deep root veg such as carrot are better off planted in the winter. I planted tomatoes and bell peppers in Arizona from plants in March, I see the buds growing already.

My county has a plating schedule that I follow, you might want to google yours.
We do (here), but as our last frost date is down as April 17, we're still just within range for planting the early, hardier crops.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 8:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Holliver
The spring onions were taken from MIL's garden, they were delicious. I cut them off near the bottom/white part and they seem to be growing again, but don't look so thick as they were.
The one bunch we got months back just on the window sill, in a pot with water has been growing like crazy. Quite impressive.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
The one bunch we got months back just on the window sill, in a pot with water has been growing like crazy. Quite impressive.
I read a blog about doing that but it seemed the person had trouble getting them to stand up the right way and also that they went mouldy.

The ones I have in the soil are slowly growing again. What is te bulb like thing that grows on the tip of the green part? Are they seeds, can I cut them off and plant them?
Old Apr 10th 2013, 8:27 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Our basil is taking off like crazy...okay, they're still stumps at the moment, but there are a lot of them.

Not seeing anything from the mint or lavender yet.
I've done a few herbs in pots - the Basil spreads from pot to pot like crazy and is pretty nigh on impossible to kill. Rosemary got transplanted into a flower bed and is going wild. I struggle with all the others...even mint which grew like a weed in the UK.

I picked my first tomato last week (didn't plant any plants, but put a load of compost on my roses and tomatoes grew!) and have a whole load more just about ripe now. Maybe this will be the motivation to get a real veggie garden going this year.....
Old Apr 10th 2013, 3:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Holliver
I read a blog about doing that but it seemed the person had trouble getting them to stand up the right way and also that they went mouldy.

The ones I have in the soil are slowly growing again. What is te bulb like thing that grows on the tip of the green part? Are they seeds, can I cut them off and plant them?
We've got them in small pots, pretty tight fit so they stand in them and grow up against the window.

Don't have any bulbs growing out of ours, but they're probably a flower?
Old Apr 10th 2013, 4:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I've done a few herbs in pots - the Basil spreads from pot to pot like crazy and is pretty nigh on impossible to kill. Rosemary got transplanted into a flower bed and is going wild. I struggle with all the others...even mint which grew like a weed in the UK.
I've tried growing mint before, at the last place and it didn't do so well either...but we finally have a sprouting of mint now.

Basil has always been a bit meh in the previous place, grew but didn't flourish, but the stuff the neighbours grew last year did well.

Not had much luck with chives or rosemary before either and we've never really bothered with parsley as we don't really use that much of it.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the UK we had way too much basil and mint: both spread like weeds. Best kept in pots.

Good news: the stuff I planted a week or two ago is starting to sprout. When (if) they actually show vegetables, I might actually remember what I planted where!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.