Wikiposts

Green Fingers?

Old Mar 27th 2013, 7:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Fingers?

Originally Posted by Michael
Maybe your problem is that you have green fingers instead of green thumbs.

Thumbs, they're a bit iffy
Old Mar 27th 2013, 7:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
The folks upstairs had a couple, but they didn't seem to hold up to the weight.

Must be a knack to it...though they worked a treat on the chilllies and peppers.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I use t-p's made from stakes for tomato and bean support. Even sticks from the woods have worked fine for cherry toms.
Has anyone ever tried potatoes? Small children love digging and discovering them in the soil.
The last couple of years we've been infested with Japanese beetles which devour everything!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:15 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Weirdly, potatoes around here, didn't seem to do much, plenty of sprouting leaves and the like, but nothing under the soil. Never seemed that hard to grow them back home though.
Yeah, Dad had an "old fashioned" compost heap, (none of the modern tumbler thingies) and the potatoes just seemed to grow wild in there from the peelings Mam tossed in.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we don't get a ton of potatoes and they take up so much space. There's nothing like a new potato though with some butter, parsley and salt.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Oh and has anyone had much luck with corn?
Not tried here but in the UK we had bundles of the stuff. Had to keep giving it away, and even then just chucked a load away.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The folks upstairs had a couple, but they didn't seem to hold up to the weight.

Must be a knack to it...though they worked a treat on the chilllies and peppers.
Bob, perhaps you need to pinch out your tomato plants so that they are not so heavy and they may do better with the cages, especially if you are growing them in containers. Here's a video that explains it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxj_O72SgZU

I don't think it'such an issue here in MS due to the hot summer and long growing season, not sure anyone I know pinches them out but I think it's worth is especially if you're container gardening. It can be hard to keep up with it once the plant gets very tall.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

I was so excited about growing squash and melons the first year we were here, but they were destroyed by squash bugs very quickly

Basil grows a treat as do all the Mediterranean herbs, our garden has terrible soil so I have not grown as many edibles as I would have liked.

I did order David Austin Roses from their place in Texas a few years ago, they look fabulous for about 4 weeks in April/May and then struggle for the rest of the summer.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Bob, perhaps you need to pinch out your tomato plants so that they are not so heavy and they may do better with the cages, especially if you are growing them in containers. Here's a video that explains it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxj_O72SgZU
Cheers for that, will give it a go.

It was the folks upstairs that was growing last year, so left them to it...but we've giving it a go this year and they'll do some other stuff...I hope

Had loads of squash, courgettes, cucumbers and pumpkins last year. Lettuce and broccoli was a bit iffy.

Had more jalapeƱo and habaneros than anyone knew what to do with, so might try different chillies this year, we'll see.

Oh and peppers, they were supposed to be red peppers, but they never turned anything but green. There's got to be a knack to that too as there was plenty of sun last year :/

Anyway, anyone with a Ocean State, they had 50% off the Burpee brand of seeds which are pretty decent brand, so about 80c for a packet for a lot of stuff which is a great deal.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to grow tomatoes.

I'm in CA and think they would grow well here BUT my friend has been planting them for years and every year seems like a new battle for her.

One year was rats, the next rats and squirrels - now she's taken to putting mesh wire thingy all over her plants.

SO, the question is - how can one grow tomatoes WITHOUT a fortress around them - do you use something special to make sure the rodents don't eat them?
Old Mar 27th 2013, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

These last few months we've been doing a house up that eventually we'll be living in so when it gets a bit warmer i'll plant whatever I grow there. So far I've got some sun flowers inside that i'll use as a temporary fence until we build a proper one.
Eventually I plan on doing tomatoes that i'll get from the farmers market, potatoes, onions, carrots and a few other things to go on salads.
Hopefully we'll get some fruit trees too plus i'm hoping to trail some grapes between trees on the edge of the property line.

Last year I only had real success with tomatoes and had plants growing up to 12 feet tall. I made a structure out of bamboo and when they got too tall for that I tied them up to the wall. That worked well enough and they even survived through the storms in fall. Fingers crossed for the same this year though they won't have a wall to be tied to this time.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:28 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
These last few months we've been doing a house up that eventually we'll be living in so when it gets a bit warmer i'll plant whatever I grow there. So far I've got some sun flowers inside that i'll use as a temporary fence until we build a proper one.
Eventually I plan on doing tomatoes that i'll get from the farmers market, potatoes, onions, carrots and a few other things to go on salads.
Hopefully we'll get some fruit trees too plus i'm hoping to trail some grapes between trees on the edge of the property line.

Last year I only had real success with tomatoes and had plants growing up to 12 feet tall. I made a structure out of bamboo and when they got too tall for that I tied them up to the wall. That worked well enough and they even survived through the storms in fall. Fingers crossed for the same this year though they won't have a wall to be tied to this time.
Here the big crop from the garden is Oranges and Tangerines.
This year I got about 3 five gallon buckets of tangerines and 6 five gallon buckets of Oranges.

Also have grown bell peppers, jalapeƱos, and tomatoes.
Trouble is the dogs ate the bell peppers, although they had a shock the year i mixed them with jalapeƱos.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by toopie28
SO, the question is - how can one grow tomatoes WITHOUT a fortress around them - do you use something special to make sure the rodents don't eat them?
Some cousins grew theirs upside down from a hanging pot by the deck which seemed to work for them, but they only did Romano and cherry tomatoes.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Will be getting in peas this weekend (it's just been so cold though). Have cabbages, broccoli, leeks and pak choi started in green house. Tomatoes, eggplants and peppers are just underway in the basement under lights.

One thing I love here is sweet potatoes - would never have thought of growing them in the UK, but they go crazy here, even here up in Connecticut. Plus all the different varieties of squash are great.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Are the special lights or just lamps?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.