Green Fingers?

Old Mar 28th 2013, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Fingers?

We do tomatoes, corn, peppers, chillie peppers, cucumbers (more than we ever knew what to do with...... ), all of which have been a success. Unfortunately, we had a resident chipmunk last year, who seemed to have a fetishising for corn, and each ear was stripped to the core

This year, because there's still been frosts, we only planted our peppers and cucumbers last weekend, along with the tomatoes. Our tomatoes and cucumbers were a huge success last year, but broccoli has been a failure for the last 2 years. Melons were a disaster, as we're the strawberries. I think it's just trial and error, depending on your soil. We have a massive problem with the tiny ants here, as the soil is nearly pure sand, so it can be a bit disappointing, but fun all the same. Hopefully Spring is just around the corner

By the way Bob, my OH uses canes for all the tomatoes, and makes sure they're tied every so many inches up the stalk, and we didn't have any issues... And we keep them and the cucumbers in pots throughout the Summer
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Rhubarb seems to be really finnicky. My parents and grandparents, just doors away from each other in the UK, had opposite extremes - parents couldn't stop it growing; grandparents couldn't get anything. Even transplanted soil up the road. And it was the grandparents that were green fingered.
Thanks, that's really interesting. I thought it may have been the soil, which is basically clay around here, although plenty of organic matter has been dug in.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
Are the special lights or just lamps?
Picked up cheap fluorescent shop light fixtures from Wal Mart a few years back, and then got 4' plant/aquarium bulbs from Home Depot. Just need to be kept very close to the seedlings (otherwise they get spindly), so I gradually raise them as they grow.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Brat1
broccoli has been a failure for the last 2 years
Am in Newtown and have had the same experience - maybe it's the general locality ! I get spindly little heads at best...but I'll try again this year.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:20 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
We do tomatoes, corn, peppers, chillie peppers, cucumbers (more than we ever knew what to do with...... ), all of which have been a success. Unfortunately, we had a resident chipmunk last year, who seemed to have a fetishising for corn, and each ear was stripped to the core
Isn't it funny what the wild creatures get a taste for? You'd think a little chipmunk would have trouble climbing up the cornstalks, when there are other tasty vegetables sitting there waiting on or near the ground.

I've been limited to windowsill pots of herbs for a while because we're renting while hunting for a place to buy. But we have an offer on the table now & if it's accepted I could start a garden of some kind later in the spring. I've had pretty good ones going in both the US & the UK in the past, so here's hoping.

Wild animals helping themselves to the crop seems to be a problem in CT, though. My relatives around here who live in the woods seem to have big trouble with deer, raccoons, squirrels, various birds (crows I think) and who knows what else. I'm hoping I won't have to lock everything up inside a mesh fortress like Toopie's friend.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur
Picked up cheap fluorescent shop light fixtures from Wal Mart a few years back, and then got 4' plant/aquarium bulbs from Home Depot. Just need to be kept very close to the seedlings (otherwise they get spindly), so I gradually raise them as they grow.
I've got the luxury of a load of old lights that were left in the place we've bought so i'll switch the bulbs and we should be good to go. Thanks for the advice
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately we can grow all season long in Arizona and the kids love it

I have various types are tomatoes growing in various pots.
The herb garden (a few long trays) has lavendar, garlic, english mint, parsely and some others.

We also do above ground gardening in a couple of raised beds. One 4 foot square. One 4x8 under construction. natural cedar wood located so they are out of the midday sun. Both setup on a drip irrigation system.
Currently in the raised bed are tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon and green bell peppers.

later in the year we will plant lettuce, leek, rutabagas (sweed), radishes and maybe try some celery and pumpkin this year too.

Its all good fun and its nice to see something green in yeard that is mostly landscape rock. I'm lazy and buy the small plants at the nursery rather than start from seed.

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Mar 28th 2013 at 6:10 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
So anyone into growing fruit/veg?

Anyone have any luck with fruit?
I have a old work friend that somehow uses new england grown grapes to make his own wine. Only person on the east coast to do that. hes doing pretty well hes started a winery and selling his own wine made with new england grown grapes

http://www.travessiawine.com/
Old Mar 28th 2013, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Isn't it funny what the wild creatures get a taste for? You'd think a little chipmunk would have trouble climbing up the cornstalks, when there are other tasty vegetables sitting there waiting on or near the ground.

I've been limited to windowsill pots of herbs for a while because we're renting while hunting for a place to buy. But we have an offer on the table now & if it's accepted I could start a garden of some kind later in the spring. I've had pretty good ones going in both the US & the UK in the past, so here's hoping.

Wild animals helping themselves to the crop seems to be a problem in CT, though. My relatives around here who live in the woods seem to have big trouble with deer, raccoons, squirrels, various birds (crows I think) and who knows what else. I'm hoping I won't have to lock everything up inside a mesh fortress like Toopie's friend.
Hey, maybe you're right.... Maybe it wasn't Mr Chipmunk after all

Everything else was never touched, only the corn, but we'll have another bash this year. The soil is crap here, so I think a lot of it will be the big pots again, and only one large bed, we shall see.

Good luck with the house btw. I have my fingers and toes crossed for you, that it all goes smoothly
Old Mar 28th 2013, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dinosaur
Am in Newtown and have had the same experience - maybe it's the general locality ! I get spindly little heads at best...but I'll try again this year.
Our soil is awful, it's almost like pure sand, so it's not that easy to grow anything, but I'll persevere again this year...... Easiest things were the cucumbers, we had them coming out of our ears!!!!!!
Old Mar 28th 2013, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Some cousins grew theirs upside down from a hanging pot by the deck which seemed to work for them, but they only did Romano and cherry tomatoes.
That's EXACTLY what I want to grow. Romano tomatoes - thanks!
Old Mar 28th 2013, 10:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toopie28
That's EXACTLY what I want to grow. Romano tomatoes - thanks!
The trick, if you don't want to buy those special pots, is using those large tubs of coffees or similar, poke a decent sized hole in the bottom and thread the plant through that, pack soil around and then a couple holes at the other end to poke some eye hooks through and then hang it from those like any other hanging basket.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 8:14 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I too have good intentions but never get round to it. Really would like to have a herb garden more than anything else.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I planted some sunflowers in them little cardboard pot thingys just over a week ago and some of them are over an inch already. I thought if I started them early then they'd be ready to put outside when it gets better outside but at this rate they'll be a foot tall by the time the last frost has gone.

This weekend I planted some beans, peppers and cabbages so we'll see how they come along inside.

I brought one of the shop lights back from the new place, just need to get the right kind of light bulb to put in it to give them a helping hand
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 6:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We used those recycled card pots too and the basil is starting to show already. The mint and tomatoes don't seem to be doing much, yet though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.