Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Great British Bake Off??!!

Great British Bake Off??!!

Old Aug 5th 2015, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Clahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Great British Bake Off??!!

I'm relocating from the UK to NJ in 10 days time...please tell me there's a way I can watch it over there?!!

😬
Old Aug 5th 2015, 7:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great British Bake Off??!!

Isn't that a little overdramatic?

There are certainly ways to watch British TV, that usually involve a VPN and a digital media player, such Apple TV or Roku, among many others.

I have never felt the need to watch British TV so hopefully someone will be along soon to provide a specific recommendation.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 7:24 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Tunnelbear subscription, iPad & Apple TV works just fine for me. But there are plenty of options out there.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Clahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond reputeClahal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
Tunnelbear subscription, iPad & Apple TV works just fine for me. But there are plenty of options out there.
Great, thanks v much! 😀
Old Aug 5th 2015, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

studentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nice

PBS has the Great British Bake Off as well.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by studentgwant
PBS has the Great British Bake Off as well.
Is that a channel over there? Thanks 😀
Old Aug 5th 2015, 8:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Isn't that a little overdramatic?
there's no such thing as too dramatic when it comes to the GBBO. Television gold!

OP - if you can't find it in the U.S. then the answer is simple - postpone the move.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 8:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clahal
Is that a channel over there? Thanks � ����
PBS is the closest the US has to the BBC, it does not run commercials, but typically gets very little public funding, and so makes very little of its own material (usually very low budget stuff about the arts, IME), but buys quite a lot from the BBC. They are forever running "begging marathons" for people to ring in and pledge money, or buy program related items, to keep themselves funded. ..... That said, PBS is a loose affiliation of independent stations that show different programs, so not all may show the GBBO.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 5th 2015 at 8:44 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Tom1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a number of sites, for example https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/ - which allow subscribers to plug in a virtual DNS into their devices/routers. The cost is usually pretty minimal - max $5/month, and much less for annual subscriptions.

This has the effect of disguising your geographic location through the use of an intermediary server, a side effect of which may be that you can access content licensed in other countries.

Caveat: I am not encouraging or condoning you to use the DNS server to illegally access content. Smart DNS servers are perfectly legal in the US; however, the legality of what you use them to access will depend on the copyright specific to that content.

Enjoy
Old Aug 5th 2015, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Tom1981
..... Smart DNS servers are perfectly legal in the US; however, the legality of what you use them to access will depend on the copyright specific to that content. .....
I agree, but if you're accessing either material that is not distributed in the US, or distributed for free (on a channel that does not show commercials) then using a DNS to access overseas material is the epitome of a victimless crime, IME.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Tom1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree, but if you're accessing either material that is not distributed in the US, or distributed for free (on a channel that does not show commercials) then using a DNS to access overseas material is the epitome of a victimless crime, IME.
Weeellll... I kind of agree. If you asked me to argue the other side though, I'd say that (in the case of the BBC) the British TV License/tax-payers ultimately end up footing a great proportion of the same bill...
Old Aug 5th 2015, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
there's no such thing as too dramatic when it comes to the GBBO. Television gold!

OP - if you can't find it in the U.S. then the answer is simple - postpone the move.
Haha! I knew I wasn't alone in this!! X
Old Aug 5th 2015, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

While pbs doesn't show commercials there are commercial partners who sponsor certain shows and pay considerable sums to have their logo shown before the show just before the bit where they say "...and viewers like you".

For GBBO I believe it is Viking River Cruises (makes sense to me!)

http://www.pbs.org/food/shows/great-...h-baking-show/
Old Aug 5th 2015, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
..... For GBBO I believe it is Viking River Cruises (makes sense to me!) ......
Me too, ....... It must be Danish pastries!
Old Aug 5th 2015, 11:04 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Paul Hollywood is going to be my next husband. Oh, and Mary Berry looks very much like my mother.

Just as a side note, I auditioned for the Great Australian Bake Off in May this year. Unfortunately my tarte tatin didn't caramelise as well as I would have liked it to and I wasn't chosen as a contestant. However there's always next year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.