Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The Grand Tour 12 Jan 2018 - Colorado in Jaguar cars

The Grand Tour 12 Jan 2018 - Colorado in Jaguar cars

Old Jan 17th 2018, 6:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Grand Tour 12 Jan 2018 - Colorado in Jaguar cars

They were in the west part of the State, around Grand Junction and Telluride which is on the other side of the mountains from Denver. Not the easiest place to get to when you start looking into it. What's that train trip around Durango? Here we go: Official Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train
Old Jan 17th 2018, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Will also just add driving up Pikes Peak was horrendous. Literally the worst/most boring experience of my life.

Will definitely take the train up there next time me and my wife head south to that neck of the woods.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 10:55 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Will also just add driving up Pikes Peak was horrendous. Literally the worst/most boring experience of my life.

Will definitely take the train up there next time me and my wife head south to that neck of the woods.
You should try Mt Evans. It's stunning. I couldn't get up it though - full on vertigo attack. No guard-rails... "Road Narrows" sign... Had to do a 12-point turn and turn around.

I got up Pike's Peak but had to stop twice for vertigo there. At least I got up it.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 6:20 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Late to the party on this one!

US-36 out of Boulder, through Lyons and up to Estes Park is one of my favorite drives. We go up there quite often and I'm still not bored of the drive. Can be a bit lame if you get stuck behind an RV as there's only a couple of sections that split into two lanes (only for about half a mile each one) but so far that's my favorite drive here.
I like to run up to EP just to have a spicy avacado marg at Ed's Cantina, then may be a scotch at the Stanley .... you should also go to The Wheel for a Guinness (best I've had around here). Then sometimes I'll take Trail Ridge Rd thru RMNP over to Granby and Winter Park for a drive. Trail Ridge Rd is a fun scenic drive.

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
You should try Mt Evans. It's stunning. I couldn't get up it though - full on vertigo attack. No guard-rails... "Road Narrows" sign... Had to do a 12-point turn and turn around.

I got up Pike's Peak but had to stop twice for vertigo there. At least I got up it.
Pikes is meh, but some scenic spots along the way up/down.
Mt. Evans is impressive at the top. I used to go up there to star gaze and watch and take pics of the sun rise .... very windy and f***ing cold at the top at 5 AM. Still, both are the easiest 14'ers to ascend!!