Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Granary bread confusion

Granary bread confusion

Old Jun 15th 2008, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

chrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nice
Default Granary bread confusion

I have been out here in California from the UK now for about 3 weeks and trying to sort everything out. One question I have that I'm trouble with is I cant seem to find Granary bread, the one with the bits in, and I used to buy it a lot at home, but here in the Bay area I just cant seem to find it --- am I looking in the wrong place or does it not exist here???

Any ideas on this one most welcome!!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 1:19 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Granary bread confusion

we get one called pepperidge farm - they do a few different grain types
Old Jun 15th 2008, 1:33 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

yes - same brand here to mel. that or the sara lee which seems to have fewest addatives.

seems to be more 'whole grain' rather than granary. ie all the bits are in - just ground up.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Nigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really nice

Try a Whole Foods if you have one near. They offer a basic selection of fresh breads that are all natural, less sugar etc. Otherwise try and find an area of town with a Russian community as they carry a lot of basic country style breads you'll possibly find a match for.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisann
I have been out here in California from the UK now for about 3 weeks and trying to sort everything out. One question I have that I'm trouble with is I cant seem to find Granary bread, the one with the bits in, and I used to buy it a lot at home, but here in the Bay area I just cant seem to find it --- am I looking in the wrong place or does it not exist here???

Any ideas on this one most welcome!!
I haven't found any including the Pepperidge farm or any others that comes close to a loaf a granary bread in the UK. They just don't have the same flavour or texture.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:35 am
The truth is out there ..

valis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nicevalis is just really nice

Originally Posted by nethead
I haven't found any including the Pepperidge farm or any others that comes close to a loaf a granary bread in the UK. They just don't have the same flavour or texture.
But they will stay fresh for weeks ;-)
Old Jun 16th 2008, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

chrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nicechrisann is just really nice

Thanks for your help here - seems that I will just to accept that I cant get this here and go find another sort of loaf!! Time to experiment with the huge variety that seems to be on the shelves!!!

have to say that so far in the short time I've been here it has surprised me just how different the UK and the USA are when it comes to food! Not just talking about the quantity but the way it tastes!!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

julii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nice

"Granary" flour is a brand of flour marketed by Hovis. Only Granary made or licensed by Hovis is allowed the honour of the name. That's why the UK supermarket own-brands all call it malted-brown or something like that.

The real Granary recipe is a secret, and in my opinion there is no loaf I've found sold in the US that is much like the Hovis Granary.

If you make your own bread or have a bread machine, you can make a pretty good substitute using "English malted wheat flakes" from King Arthur Flours.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 8:24 am
Just Joined

OurLass is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Granary bread confusion

Really surprised no one has mentioned Trader Joe's yet. They usually are good for a bit of the weird & wonderful, at least when compared to your average American supermarket. I'd always heard "granary" bread described as "whole grain" bread before moving to the UK.

If you're anywhere near Brentwood, there's a terrific bakers on San Vicente, not far from Barrington. Can't remember the name, now, but they're in that little open air shopping centre just east of the intersection of San Vicente & Barrington.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OurLass
Really surprised no one has mentioned Trader Joe's yet. They usually are good for a bit of the weird & wonderful, at least when compared to your average American supermarket. I'd always heard "granary" bread described as "whole grain" bread before moving to the UK.

If you're anywhere near Brentwood, there's a terrific bakers on San Vicente, not far from Barrington. Can't remember the name, now, but they're in that little open air shopping centre just east of the intersection of San Vicente & Barrington.
Jayzeus, don't get them started again. It's a miracle of science that this is only a one-page bread thread.
There's 4000 places to shop for bread, good bread, in California alone. You just might not find it next to the Wonder Bread.

Last edited by meauxna; Jun 17th 2008 at 7:11 pm. Reason: mangled language
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

If you live in the SF Bay Area look for this.

http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace....ad_company.php

San Francisco Farmers Market at the Ferry Building.
Attached Thumbnails Granary bread confusion-bread.jpg  
Old Jun 17th 2008, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Jayzeus, don't get them started again. It's a miracle of science that this is only a one-page bread thread.
There's 4000 places to shop for bread, good bread, in California alone. You're just might not going to find it next to the Wonder Bread.
What would B.E. be without the ubiquitous bread thread.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

Vons supermarket (which may be called Safeway in your area), do a range of Organic breads including a 'seeds and grains' which is the closest I've found to a UK granary loaf.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:48 am
Just Joined

OurLass is an unknown quantity at this point

I can only imagine, meauxna - no matter what sort of expat, the home country really does have you by the tastebuds. And besides, who can resist all the bread puns & innuendo? (nice baps, use your loaf - more where that came from, free of charge!)

Agreed, there are a million places to buy good bread in CA, if you just look. Even in my backwater home town, it wasn't too hard. I seem to remember DH liked a particular Orowheat soft seeded whole grain loaf when we were in CA.

Have you tried ethnic supermarkets? Not so much for whole grain bread, but for fresh baked white bread and other sorts of food, they're terrific. Rolls for tortas are very much like breadcakes/stotties if you're in a butty mood (soft, round, fluffy, non-hamburgerbun or sourdough)... chicharrones are like crackling (or pork scratchings)... ingredients for pork pies and the like are a breeze to find. One stop at our local supermercado when DH was in one of his cravings fits and you'd be amazed how many of his flavour itches could be scratched.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Oh dear I gather from reading this that this question may have arisen before - feel like the innocent newbie that I am!! But I have to say that I am most grateful for the response on this one - have started to look around the area more now and have now found out what you all mean, there is so much to choose from and so many different places to go to get a loaf of bread!!

Now trying out the Wholefood ones, also been told that mexican bread is interesting, not to sure what to make of that one, so will have to try and see what happens, hopefully it wont contain any chillies!!

Going into San Fran tomorrow, taking advantage of the free transport day in the Bay area, so will see what I can come with with, Have to get this sorted before I get my work permission thingy while I have time on my hands - which I have to say I am quite enjoying!

So thanks again for helping out the newbie to the site and area!!! This is the most useful place I have found for all those crazy random questions that crop up when you first get here!! and its good to find a lot of really great sounding people here as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.