Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Got my first unsolicited CC offer this morning

Got my first unsolicited CC offer this morning

Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Got my first unsolicited CC offer this morning

So how do these credit card companies get your address?

I've been here just over 6 months now.....so do they monitor new folks' credit scores until they appear to be above a certain level, then offer them a card? Of course it's just an application form....it doesn't mean to say they'd issue me a card should I apply for one.

The company is Chase - Dave Ramsey says that they are among the worst in the industry, but I guess they are all nice to you until they don't pay the bill.

I don't really need another card, I have one with US Amex and a UK Barclaycard Goldfish, plus a debit card on my checking account....just wondering whether you normally get spammed with CC applications after you've been here a while.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:49 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got my first unsolicited CC offer this morning

Add youself to the no junk mail list, if takes some time but they do stop.

You're right in that once your credit score reaches a certain level they send out offers. They get lists of people from many sources and run credit checks to find the scores. If you look at your credit record there will probaly be a check on it by Chase.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:49 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36

I've been here just over 6 months now.....so do they monitor new folks' credit scores until they appear to be above a certain level, then offer them a card? Of course it's just an application form....it doesn't mean to say they'd issue me a card should I apply for one.

The company is Chase - Dave Ramsey says that they are among the worst in the industry, but I guess they are all nice to you until they don't pay the bill.

I don't really need another card, I have one with US Amex and a UK Barclaycard Goldfish, plus a debit card on my checking account....just wondering whether you normally get spammed with CC applications after you've been here a while.
It's nothing to do with your credit score. Many people (possibly including you) who apply for these unsolicited offers will be refused due to their low credit score.

There are many ways for them to get your address. We received our first offers within a month of moving into our new home here.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We just put all that junk mail, because that's what it is, through the shredder.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't want 'em, just opt out of this "pre-approved" nonsense:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt063.shtm

I was getting about one a week on average before I did this. Of course, the credit environment is rather different now than a few years ago.

Having been away for a couple of months, it's been interesting coming back and seeing what my mail over that period consists of. What's shocked me is the volume of mail from... charities, including some who mailed me several times over that period. And I don't think the direct marketers list stops you getting this (or stuff from politicians, ha!).
Old Jun 13th 2009, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Once you to give to a charity, every charity in the country will send solicitations. Now I'm getting watches and various other gifts from these charities.

Last edited by surly; Jun 13th 2009 at 6:39 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Once to give to a charity, every charity in the country will send solicitations. Now I'm getting watches and various other gifts from these charities.
The day I arrived in the US on my K1, all those years ago, the first piece of mail I got was a request from a charity. It began 'My fellow American....'

still, it did include some of those address labels, which was useful. Now those address labels clog up the shredder...
Old Jun 13th 2009, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Stockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to all

These companies target people with poor credit histories. The theory is, they'll be more likely to run up a balance, which they'll be unable to pay off on a monthly basis and will sooner or later make a late payment, which gives the CC companies the excuse to jack up the interest rates. I know people who've ended up paying many, many times the amount they originally borrowed. And some who will probably never be done paying.

A co-worker was forced to declare bankruptcy a few years ago after her marriage break up. She told me that for the next year or two she received an average of 5 credit card solicitations a day.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Stockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
They purchased it. Any time you give your address to a company, it will almost certainly be sold.

Ever entered a raffle to win a Harley Davidson while at the mall? Your address has been sold. Subscribed to a magazine? Donated money to charity? Bought something online? Same thing.

Most astonishing to me, even your bank has probably sold your personal details.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 8:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

USPS Change of Address: your address has been sold.
(that one burns me the most for some reason)
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
It's nothing to do with your credit score. Many people (possibly including you) who apply for these unsolicited offers will be refused due to their low credit score.
Unless it's one of those pre-approved offers, in which case they can't deny giving you a card, but that doesn't mean they'll give you a good card, usually a low limit, $100-500 and a shit rate.

Shred them.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:48 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had a couple already. I think that doing the AMEX thing might have been a factor, as it effectively gave me a backdated credit history.

I haven't taken any of them up, on account of not having a job but definitely having vague memories of reading that it's illegal to lie on credit applications.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:55 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

There are many ways for them to get your address. We received our first offers within a month of moving into our new home here.
indeed, it's the machine gun philosophy.

spray enough bullets eventually you'll hit something.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 2:08 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
If you don't want 'em, just opt out of this "pre-approved" nonsense:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...ts/alt063.shtm

I was getting about one a week on average before I did this. Of course, the credit environment is rather different now than a few years ago.

Having been away for a couple of months, it's been interesting coming back and seeing what my mail over that period consists of. What's shocked me is the volume of mail from... charities, including some who mailed me several times over that period. And I don't think the direct marketers list stops you getting this (or stuff from politicians, ha!).
Great link thanks.
Anything to stop Citibank and Chase doing soft pulls, in the month of May I got 9 Citibank pre-approved crap in the mail
Old Jun 14th 2009, 4:17 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Trust me, it doesn't take much to get on those mailing lists:

Mark came to the US to meet me for the first time and visited for a month back in Sept/Oct 2002. While here, he ordered a book online from Barnes & Noble and had to shipped by my home, but addressed to his name. A month later, when he was already back in the UK, the first of several pre-approved CC offers arrived for him in my mailbox -- for an MBNA Barnes & Noble credit card with a pre-approved limit of up to $100,000.

Mark had absolutely no US credit rating and had never even been to the US before that visit. He was not a USC or even an LPR, which were eligibility requirements. All that triggered the application being sent was him ordering a book and having it sent to my address.

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.