Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Got me Greenie in Tampa

Got me Greenie in Tampa

Old Feb 7th 2009, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Frederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really nice
Default Got me Greenie in Tampa

We had our green card interview on december the 10th and it all went pretty smoothly. The lady interviewing us was professional perhaps because she was training someone during our interview Got the passport stamped and a 2 year conditional sent in the post!
Side note, We didnt have any joint accounts setup however she did look at all our photos and stuff plus my job offer letter.

I heard a rumour that Obama will make it easier for green card holders to become naturalized, is this true?

Thanks.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 1:32 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got me Greenie in Tampa

Congratulations.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frederick
I heard a rumour that Obama will make it easier for green card holders to become naturalized, is this true?
The requirements are pretty easy just now, so how much easier do you want it? Currently you can apply for naturalization after being a PR for 5 years (or 3 years if married to a USC). Those seem to be pretty simple requirements.

Ian
Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Frederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really niceFrederick is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The requirements are pretty easy just now, so how much easier do you want it? Currently you can apply for naturalization after being a PR for 5 years (or 3 years if married to a USC). Those seem to be pretty simple requirements.

Ian
3 years not including the 2 years of the conditional green card? Meaning does the 2 years of my conditional green card go towards the tally?
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

3 years not including the 2 years of the conditional green card? Meaning does the 2 years of my conditional green card go towards the tally?
You start counting 3 years from the time you become a PR. That includes time as a conditional PR. So if you just now got your 2-year green card, you can apply for citizenship in 3 years minus 90 days, if you are still married to a USC, and qualify on the other items such as physical presence in the USA, etc. Look up the USCIS Guide to Naturalization...its' all in there.

And Congratulations!

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Meaning does the 2 years of my conditional green card go towards the tally?
Yes - it's 3 years marriage to the USC that's important - usually because of the processing time on the AOS and the I-751 you'll be married for much longer than 3 years when you file your N-400. You can apply in the 90-day time-frame before the 3 years
When is the expiry date on your 2-year GC? Remember you'll have to lift conditions on this (I-751). Apply within the 90 day time-frame before the expiry date on the 2-year card. You'll should then if all is OK get a 10-year card (you're still legal of course after 10 years. The card expires but your status doesn't - unless you commit an inappropriate crime...).
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Rene's reply is much clearer than mine! Thanks!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanR
Yes - it's 3 years marriage to the USC that's important -
HI Alan,

I knew what you meant here, but just to be clear for the OP, there are 2 requirements here (among others):

1. You must have been a PR for 3 years minus 90 days (including the conditional status); and

2. Your marriage to the USC must be MORE than 3 years old.

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, Rene.
That's why your reply was much clearer than mine!
Generally because of the USCIS processing times the marriage will be much longer than 3 years before the non-USC can apply for N-400 (as the 'official' date that one actually becomes a LPR is usually quite some time after the marriage). As you say there are 2 things in operation here....
Old Feb 7th 2009, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Sept 11th 2010 is the time they told me apply to have my conditions removed so 11th December 2010 is when it expires.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 6:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We had our green card interview on december the 10th and it all went pretty smoothly. The lady interviewing us was professional perhaps because she was training someone during our interview Got the passport stamped and a 2 year conditional sent in the post!
Side note, We didnt have any joint accounts setup however she did look at all our photos and stuff plus my job offer letter.

Thanks.
Congratulations!!!

Here's some info on your new rights & responsibilities:

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Sept 11th 2010 is the time they told me apply to have my conditions removed so 11th December 2010 is when it expires.
Excellent... you can apply for naturalization anytime after about September 11, 2011. Note: for removing conditions, be sure to count back 90 days from the exact expiry date on your GC... 90 days is *not* the same as 3 months! Don't send the I-751 too soon! Do the same for naturalization when the time comes.

Ian