British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Google Voice; second phone numbers. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/google-voice%3B-second-phone-numbers-925769/)

Steerpike Jun 14th 2019 9:19 pm

Google Voice; second phone numbers.

I need to set up a second phone number to give out to some folks I'm going to be working with on a temporary assignment. Their need for my number is reasonable in this particular situation, but I've been burned in the past by giving out my number in such situations, because once they get your number it tends to get 'remembered' by all kinds of people (I still get calls from a job I left back in 2009!).

I have a spare iPhone and just acquired a second SIM card for it. This is a good solution in some ways as it gives complete isolation from my personal number / phone. BUT - it means I have to carry two phones and I'm not too keen on that. (I know I can forward one phone to another, but outbound calls will reveal my callerID unless I remember to prefix the call with *67. ) (note - I'm aware that 'dual SIM' phones now exist, but I don't own one).

Today I was reminded of 'Google Voice' and signed up for a number and set it up on my personal phone. So now, my personal phone has two numbers. It looks ideal, in that, I can configure it so that every outbound call I make asks me what number to 'use' as callerID. Further, each incoming call to the Google Voice # gets screened with a prompt to the caller asking them to state their name, which is then announced to me prior to accepting the call. So I may abandon the idea of using a second phone/SIM and rely solely on the 'Google Voice' number.

Does anyone have experience in using Google Voice in this manner?

petitefrancaise Jun 15th 2019 1:35 am

Re: Google Voice; second phone numbers.

Yes. I had one - you'll need a hangouts dialler app to make calls,
I have a dual sim now and I'd probably just use that if I needed another work number.

wtkp0u Jun 15th 2019 2:17 pm

Yes, been using one since before Google bought them (2007?). Works fine, only issue is some automated systems and two-factor authentication can't send SMS to Google's numbers.

Another option is a Skype number that costs a few $ per month https://www.skype.com/en/features/online-number/

SpoogleDrummer Jun 17th 2019 5:00 pm

Yep, though for me Google Voice is my primary number, work provides me with a phone and I give that number out for work stuff but have my Google Voice number direct to it too. That way if I wanted to I could leave my work phone behind/off and still get my Google Voice calls.

Steerpike Jun 18th 2019 7:29 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12698342)
Yes. I had one - you'll need a hangouts dialler app to make calls,

Not any longer, at least, not with an Android phone; the Google Voice number is tightly integrated into the phone such that you just use the native 'phone' app to make and receive calls.

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12698342)
I have a dual sim now and I'd probably just use that if I needed another work number.

The sales person in the Verizon store told me (for what it's worth) that if you have a dual-SIM phone, only one 'number' can cause the phone to ring at any given time; calls to the 'other' number (2nd SIM) will route to voicemail. You can 'toggle' which number/SIM is 'primary', but only one can be 'primary' (ring) at one time. This sounded bogus to me but since I wasn't about to purchase a dual-SIM phone anyway, I let it go. With Google Voice, the phone rings for both numbers - the basic 'phone' number and the GV number. Although - just tested this now - you don't know WHICH number was called to cause the phone to ring - you just know a call is coming in to one of your numbers.
For outbound calls, with a dual-SIM phone, can you arbitrarily switch between the two numbers when making a call? With GV, I was able to set it up such that every time I make a call, it asks me which number to use (for outbound caller-ID, etc). I thought this was really cool, and it will serve me very well at times, but it is proving a bit of a hassle. I can, though, default it so that all outbound calls use one or the other.

Steerpike Jun 18th 2019 7:34 am

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12699318)
Yep, though for me Google Voice is my primary number, work provides me with a phone and I give that number out for work stuff but have my Google Voice number direct to it too. That way if I wanted to I could leave my work phone behind/off and still get my Google Voice calls.

If you left your work phone at work, or off, how would you be physically receiving those GV calls? Are you saying you can tie the GV number to multiple phones?

sid nv Jun 18th 2019 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12699542)
If you left your work phone at work, or off, how would you be physically receiving those GV calls? Are you saying you can tie the GV number to multiple phones?

Go one better and build yourself a home PBX using an old computer and free Asterisk software. Configure Google Voice as an inbound trunk route. Add some extensions and use software VOIP clients to make calls. Use 5-digit extension numbers to make it look like a big operation. Or give yourself an amusing extension number such as 666.

petitefrancaise Jun 18th 2019 3:58 pm

I have a oneplus6 and although I haven't used it, both sims are supposed to work su

SpoogleDrummer Jun 18th 2019 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12699542)

I use Google Hangouts so calls can come through on my laptop, iPad, Gmail etc. I used to have it direct to 2 phones but it sort of made the second phone redundant so I got rid of it.

Steerpike Jun 18th 2019 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by sid nv (Post 12699789)
Go one better and build yourself a home PBX using an old computer and free Asterisk software. Configure Google Voice as an inbound trunk route. Add some extensions and use software VOIP clients to make calls. Use 5-digit extension numbers to make it look like a big operation. Or give yourself an amusing extension number such as 666.

That's an intriguing project! One job in my distant past got me heavily into the weeds of phone systems, so I could probably figure this out. SIP trunking was pretty new back then so I didn't get into that aspect, so it would be fun to try.

As an aside ... you posted elsewhere that you are looking for work, and considering all manner of jobs such as Amazon delivery, etc. If you know how to configure asterisk servers and deal with trunking, VOIP, etc then surely you can do some IT consulting from the comfort of your own home? I retired from full-time corporate IT over 5 years ago but I have a constant flow of people who 'need help', all related to the people / companies I worked for in my career. I don't advertise, and only work for people I know so the work comes and goes, but I'm able to charge over $100/hr so I don't need to do much to keep just enough money coming in. This particular job I'm setting up the number for now - a guy I hired back in 2008 who has changed jobs 4 times since then is now at a company where they need 'transition' help for a few months while they locate a new director; perfect for me, and will probably let me meet my 'quota' for the year. Two years ago, a former colleague at that same company from 2008 called me in for a similar gig at some new company he was at. I ended up billing them over $50k one year and $35k the second year for easy work.

sid nv Jun 18th 2019 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12699915)
That's an intriguing project! One job in my distant past got me heavily into the weeds of phone systems, so I could probably figure this out. SIP trunking was pretty new back then so I didn't get into that aspect, so it would be fun to try.

As an aside ... you posted elsewhere that you are looking for work, and considering all manner of jobs such as Amazon delivery, etc. If you know how to configure asterisk servers and deal with trunking, VOIP, etc then surely you can do some IT consulting from the comfort of your own home? I retired from full-time corporate IT over 5 years ago but I have a constant flow of people who 'need help', all related to the people / companies I worked for in my career. I don't advertise, and only work for people I know so the work comes and goes, but I'm able to charge over $100/hr so I don't need to do much to keep just enough money coming in. This particular job I'm setting up the number for now - a guy I hired back in 2008 who has changed jobs 4 times since then is now at a company where they need 'transition' help for a few months while they locate a new director; perfect for me, and will probably let me meet my 'quota' for the year. Two years ago, a former colleague at that same company from 2008 called me in for a similar gig at some new company he was at. I ended up billing them over $50k one year and $35k the second year for easy work.

Google Voice uses a proprietary protocol rather than SIP, but fortunately someone has written an open-source module to interface to Asterisk. I would not recommend this for serious PBX use as Google could probably kill it at any time.

Thanks for the job suggestions, but I think IT Consulting is above my pay grade. If I get anywhere with my job search I will update the other thread.

markonline1 Jun 20th 2019 12:18 am

I use a google voice number for our work on call number. I can swap between the 3 of us depending on who’s on call, and have had no issues whatsoever. Works just like a regular phone.

Steerpike Jun 20th 2019 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12700490)
I use a google voice number for our work on call number. I can swap between the 3 of us depending on who’s on call, and have had no issues whatsoever. Works just like a regular phone.

Are you saying you have one GV number, and then you 'tie it' to any one of three physical phones depending on who's on call? Can this be done through a web interface, or does it have to be done on the phone(s)? Can I 'take' the number away from you without your cooperation? (eg, you are unexpectedly out sick, and I need to quickly 'grab' those calls. So I can somehow 'pull' the GV number to my phone (as long as I know ... presumably ... the associated Google account credentials, etc)?

What's the general feeling about the 'screening' feature? By default, any call to a GV number has screening on - you are asked to state your name before the call will be 'put through'. In theory, sounds like a wonderful feature to block spam calls. But are there any downsides to it?

markonline1 Jun 23rd 2019 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 12700766)
Are you saying you have one GV number, and then you 'tie it' to any one of three physical phones depending on who's on call? Can this be done through a web interface, or does it have to be done on the phone(s)? Can I 'take' the number away from you without your cooperation? (eg, you are unexpectedly out sick, and I need to quickly 'grab' those calls. So I can somehow 'pull' the GV number to my phone (as long as I know ... presumably ... the associated Google account credentials, etc)?

What's the general feeling about the 'screening' feature? By default, any call to a GV number has screening on - you are asked to state your name before the call will be 'put through'. In theory, sounds like a wonderful feature to block spam calls. But are there any downsides to it?

Yep, one google voice number that can be pushed to any one of 3 phones depending who’s on call. If we wanted, we could have all 3 phones accept the calls. Or one phone accept the call but all 3 get the voicemail notification etc etc. The phones can be switched by either the web (via your google account) or via the google voice app. Provided they have the log on details, anyone can switch the phones. I set up a new google account and the 3 of us that are on call have access. So far it has worked perfectly.

Steerpike Jun 24th 2019 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 12701545)

Yep, one google voice number that can be pushed to any one of 3 phones depending who’s on call. If we wanted, we could have all 3 phones accept the calls. Or one phone accept the call but all 3 get the voicemail notification etc etc. The phones can be switched by either the web (via your google account) or via the google voice app. Provided they have the log on details, anyone can switch the phones. I set up a new google account and the 3 of us that are on call have access. So far it has worked perfectly.

I'm continuing to learn about how this works on my Android phone. Curious to hear from others if it's the same on an iPhone.
These are some interesting observations
1) When making a call OUT using the stock 'phone' app (green icon, lower left on a standard android/samsung phone), I get to chose which number gets used to call out. Practically, this means, I get to choose which callerID the recipient sees. This is really nice. I don't know if this is a bog-standard 'android' app or if it's some Samsung version that only appears on Samsung phones (I've only ever had samsung Androids). This is highly desirable because I want to control who sees what number when I call - I don't want to reveal my 'personal' number to clients, and by having it integrated into the core phone app, and being asked each time, prevents me from forgetting!
2) when sending a text message OUT using the stock 'phone' messaging app (orange-ish icon on a standard android /s samsung phone) it only sends out using the 'main SIM number' on the phone (the verizon number, in my case). This is NOT desirable since I want to send out texts using different numbers, depending on who I'm sending to.
3) ALTERNATIVELY, I can launch the 'Google Voice' app on the phone (which I didn't even know I had until now!). With that, I can call out or text out, but ONLY using the Google Voice number, not my 'SIM based number from Verizon'. So I can use this method to send out texts and be sure not to reveal my personal number.

The one part I haven't figured out yet is ... When a call comes IN to the phone - phone rings, caller's number appears - I have no way of knowing 'which number they called' - the phone is ringing identically whether the other party called my Verizon SIM number OR my GV number. I suspect I could 'fix' this by somehow breaking the tight-integration between the phone app and the GV number. I've seen others here say they answer the GV call with the GV app; but in my case only the standard phone app kicks in on a call. Any thoughs on this one? I'm thinking I may be better served by not having such tight integration between the phone's 'core phone app' and GV ...

Thanks!