Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Good ol' English Style curry

Good ol' English Style curry

Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:22 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good ol' English Style curry

Originally Posted by jumping doris
apparantly there is one in downtown Pittsburgh but we haven't been there either.

do tell where as we are heading there in May
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:24 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glos2PA
Cornish pasty and fish and chips
i'd kill for some of that right now

From your user name can we presume your from sunny Glawster??
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:38 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Good ol' English Style curry

Aw thanks for the kind welcome! Thanks too for the good advice! Looks like we might have to plan a trip to NY. We've tried lots of places and found a good one in Harrisburg PA, but its closed now! I always have a curry on my first eve back in the UK, followed by a nice Cornish pasty and fish and chips the next day! Mmmm and Americans think English food is rubbish!?!
Well, if you come to NYC you can have the pasty AND the fish and chips as well! In Greenwich Village is 'A Salt and Battery' which is an authentic English chippy (I do like their curry sauce on their chips, washed down with some Boddingtons). Next door is a 'corner' shop which sells English choc bars, Easter eggs in season & Xmas stockings in season, plus stuff like Irn Bru, Lucozade, England & GB flags, shower curtains, boxer shorts etc. etc. Then next door to that is 'Tea and Sympathy' an English tea shop & British nosh (I think the same people operate the chippy). Next to that is another British shop (haven't been there) selling mostly baby clothes with funny slogans.

Within an easy walking distance is Myers of Keswick which is a butchers shop - you can get your Cornish pasty or a pork pie there!

http://www.asaltandbattery.com/indexb.html

http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com/home.php

http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com...enu_dinner.php

http://www.myersofkeswick.com/main.asp

I don't know where Hanover is in PA but NYC is a bit nearer to PA than Blighty!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:01 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul S
working away in Dayton, OH at the mo
went here http://www.amarindiadayton.com/ tonight, very nice

more local to me up in Cleveland, OH we have a choice of Cafe Tandoor on the eastside or India Garden on the westside (Lakewood) $10 for an all you eat buffet which is flippin out of this world
Thanks for the tip about India Garden in Lakewood. I have family who live on that side of town and next time I'm in Cleveland, I'll be going there (with or without the in-laws).

NC Penguin
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:06 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Thanks for the tip about India Garden in Lakewood. I have family who live on that side of town and next time I'm in Cleveland, I'll be going there (with or without the in-laws).

NC Penguin

yer welcome (its on Detroit Avenue if thats of any use ) Funnily enough when the inlaws come over in Spring I'm guessing we wil be heading there again
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Aw thanks for the kind welcome! Thanks too for the good advice! Looks like we might have to plan a trip to NY. We've tried lots of places and found a good one in Harrisburg PA, but its closed now! I always have a curry on my first eve back in the UK, followed by a nice Cornish pasty and fish and chips the next day! Mmmm and Americans think English food is rubbish!?!

Is that Passage To India, in Harrisburg that's closed? Are you sure?
There's a new one that has opened on the West Shore in Camp Hill, it's located in Hartzdale Plaza on Hartzdale Drive opposite the Capitol City Mall. Haven't tried it yet so can't say what it's like and can't for the life of me remember what it's called.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:39 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have a damned hard time finding your 'English-style' curry here. However, all is not lost.

Go to Amazon and get yourself this for eight bucks: linky goodness

This book will teach you how to make your 11:30-and-just-kicked-out-of-the-pub take away curry perfectly. It's very easy - I can personally vouch for this one. Cook up a vat of the sauce, keep it in the freezer, and you'll be ~20 min away from the perfect madras or vindaloo or whatever you fancy. It'll taste just like you remember.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

yer welcome (its on Detroit Avenue if thats of any use ) Funnily enough when the inlaws come over in Spring I'm guessing we wil be heading there again
Is that the one that opened maybe 6 months or so ago? If so, I believe it is run by the same people who owned Passage to India in Westlake. According to a guy who used to work there, they closed down and relocated because of hygiene issues. Hygiene problems or not, they made a cracking curry!

There is also Saffron Patch which is good but expensive and a couple of others that I forget the names of that I hear are good. Personally I give Kashmir Palace and Cafe Tandoor a miss, had some absolutely awful meals at them both.

Last edited by Duncan Roberts; Feb 28th 2007 at 2:34 am.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:10 pm
spuggy

spuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to beholdspuggy is a splendid one to behold

working away in Dayton, OH at the mo
went here http://www.amarindiadayton.com/ tonight, very nice

more local to me up in Cleveland, OH we have a choice of Cafe Tandoor on the eastside or India Garden on the westside (Lakewood) $10 for an all you eat buffet which is flippin out of this world

I agree, amarindia is nice. Luckily we have quite a few good indian grocery stores around dayton.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:25 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

do tell where as we are heading there in May
To live
The local one is called "The Tamarind" and it is in Scott Township which is a few miles south of Pittsburgh city centre (8?). Easy drive out , would take 15 mins in the evening.
I will find out the name of the one in the city and let you know.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:29 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tbag
Me too I make my own, even managed to master fairly well Onion bahjees and samosa. The curry gets alot of help from my hoard of Tesco's own range of curry powders and spices Can't beat 30 to 40 pence per container.

My mum brought loads over in November and customs decided to open them yet soon regretted it as they got Tikka powder all over them when opened
That taught them a lesson.......
Don't come between a Brit and her Indian food
We brought loads of Tesco spices over and huge catering bags of Tandoori masala powder.Luckily no one opened the container because we also had large bags of white drinking chocolate powder and they were unmarked!!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:29 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

2 bags wal mart chicken breast
6 onions
4 jars pataks madras paste

fry chicken and onions add madras paste and boil for 10 mins
let sit in fridge 2 days
then eat and freeze surplus

simple and perfect hits every spot
Old Feb 28th 2007, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
We brought loads of Tesco spices over and huge catering bags of Tandoori masala powder.Luckily no one opened the container because we also had large bags of white drinking chocolate powder and they were unmarked!!
That's very interesting.
I had been kidding my mum on that she should bring tins of SMA across for me in July for our new arrival as it's so bloody expensive here compared to the UK. Anyway I told her that I was just joking as it may look dodgy but after reading your post I may reconsider. What's the worst that could happen?, my parents subjected to anal probes????
Old Feb 28th 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vegas
2 bags wal mart chicken breast
6 onions
4 jars pataks madras paste

fry chicken and onions add madras paste and boil for 10 mins
let sit in fridge 2 days
then eat and freeze surplus

simple and perfect hits every spot
That sounds simple enough! Maybe a daft question but do you get the pataks paste in Walmart too?

I once had an argument with a sales assistant in Tom Thumb as they were advertising Patak sauce on their weekly flyer. Anyway I went along all excited only to be told they had no idea what it was and would not help me any further.

I was not a happy camper as we were relatively new here and the OH and I were having serious curry withdrawals.

If anybody is desperate for curry another simple suggestion is Walmarts Golden Curry sauce mix. We like it, but have kind of sickened ourselves by having it too much, it's great with lots of chunky bits of onion!
Old Feb 28th 2007, 2:35 pm
Who?

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
That's very interesting.
I had been kidding my mum on that she should bring tins of SMA across for me in July for our new arrival as it's so bloody expensive here compared to the UK. Anyway I told her that I was just joking as it may look dodgy but after reading your post I may reconsider. What's the worst that could happen?, my parents subjected to anal probes????
A minor inconvenience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.