Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Good insurance companies for new (US) drivers with UK experience?

Good insurance companies for new (US) drivers with UK experience?

Old May 29th 2015, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Good insurance companies for new (US) drivers with UK experience?

I am finally getting around to buying a car, and there is a 2010 Nissan Versa Hatchback that I am interested in ($7700).

So, I asked for a quote from Geico for insurance and they came up with $111 a month with me being the primary driver, and my missus being allowed to use the car with a learner permit (I will be teaching her to drive).

It seems very high and I am going to check out other companies, but what do you guys think? Should I be able to get it lower? I have 8/9 years driving experience in the UK, no accidents, no fines etc. My credit score here is 729.

Hoffage
Old May 29th 2015, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good insurance companies for new (US) drivers with UK experience?

Geico is always cheapest for us, albeit still eye wateringly expensive - we pay $350 a month for an F150, a Flex and an old Miata in Michigan (no fault state). Who do you have home/ any other insurance with, could you see if they offer discounts for bundles of policies?
Old May 29th 2015, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB View Post
Geico is always cheapest for us, albeit still eye wateringly expensive - we pay $350 a month for an F150, a Flex and an old Miata in Michigan (no fault state). Who do you have home/ any other insurance with, could you see if they offer discounts for bundles of policies?
We have renters insurance with Allstate, so I am going to try them and there is an organisation collaboration with Metlife as well ...
Old May 29th 2015, 6:19 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I checked with AAA and Geico but didn't look around further as I need to get straight onto the road. That's about what I pay for a 2009 Prius. No credit score and wife as secondary driver (but with clean US driving history).

I'll get around to shopping for a better deal soon.

Also, one thing that's slightly more complicated here is you need ot make sure you're comparing apples with apples on the insurance quotes - they let you twiddle the liability limits on all areas of the policy which can affect the final quote significantly.

I borrowed a copy of my brother in law's policy to get a better idea of where to look and thought about appropriate levels for us (don't want to risk losing our deposit for a house etc.).
Old May 29th 2015, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by username.exe View Post
I checked with AAA and Geico but didn't look around further as I need to get straight onto the road. That's about what I pay for a 2009 Prius. No credit score and wife as secondary driver (but with clean US driving history).

I'll get around to shopping for a better deal soon.

Also, one thing that's slightly more complicated here is you need ot make sure you're comparing apples with apples on the insurance quotes - they let you twiddle the liability limits on all areas of the policy which can affect the final quote significantly.

I borrowed a copy of my brother in law's policy to get a better idea of where to look and thought about appropriate levels for us (don't want to risk losing our deposit for a house etc.).
Yeah, I spoke to them on the phone and they (GEICO) wouldn't really budge much ... I may just take it as it is a comprehensive policy and then in 6 months I will have found a better deal etc.
Old May 29th 2015, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoffage123 View Post
We have renters insurance with Allstate, so I am going to try them and there is an organisation collaboration with Metlife as well ...
If you have house insurance (if you're a home-owner of course) often you'll get a discount on that if you take your car insurance out with the same company.

It seems odd to me - basically, in our case we were saying to our insurance company "Hello, you know the house you've insured us for fire etc? Well, can you give us a discount on that insurance if we regularly store inside it a machine that's powered by a highly flammable fuel and has an auxiliary power source that uses concentrated acid? You can? Wonderful!"
Old May 29th 2015, 8:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Our 2012 Fusion SEL (financed) with me as a driver without a permit costs us $91 a month fully comp with Farm Bureau ($500 deductible)
Old May 29th 2015, 9:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't sound that bad for no US history...especially for a learner driver.

Big discount comes from home insurance policy with the same folks. If you're renting and it's renters insurance, it's a small discount, on par for making the renters being a few bucks a month.

Another big saving is knocking up the default $500 deductible to either $1K or $1.5K per incident.

Anything else, makes a difference, but not that noticeable in comparison.
Old May 29th 2015, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

We are with Mercury and got a good deal because they fully took into account my UK history. Hubby also gets an applied discount because he is a scientist and works for one of their preferred employers.

We pay $125 a month for 2 cars - one leased (brand new Chevy) and one 6 years old (Toyota Minivan). Have $500 deductibles, fully comp with coverage far above the recommended minimum (can't remember the exact figure). We also get a discount on our renters insurance so that is $99 a year. I'm in CA.
Old May 29th 2015, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Missus is the learner, I have the full driving license ....

UPDATE: So, I spent two hours at the dealership and there are two possible deals on the table.

1) The used car mentioned originally on a 48 month financing deal ($211/month)

2) New car 2015 Nissan Altima on a lease for 36 months on a 0% lease ($211/month)

The payment is higher than I expected, but I can make it work. I will let you know what happens as it will all be confirmed tomorrow.

Hoffage
Old May 30th 2015, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

That original quote probably sounds about right with a learner driver on the policy. For info, I'm with Geico and they accepted my No Claims Bonus as good driving history.
Old May 30th 2015, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey View Post
We are with Mercury and got a good deal because they fully took into account my UK history. Hubby also gets an applied discount because he is a scientist and works for one of their preferred employers.

We pay $125 a month for 2 cars - one leased (brand new Chevy) and one 6 years old (Toyota Minivan). Have $500 deductibles, fully comp with coverage far above the recommended minimum (can't remember the exact figure). We also get a discount on our renters insurance so that is $99 a year. I'm in CA.
Also should add, my husband was a learner/new driver.
Old May 30th 2015, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

LotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm paying $379 / month for me and my wife fully comp on a brand new Ford Focus and 2006 Prius

With GEICO

I'm looking to change that soon
Old May 30th 2015, 5:31 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The answers on payment amounts may very well be "comparing apples to oranges." One needs the level of coverage and then compare to other people in Rochester NY, perhaps Monroe County.

Sometimes, the companies give discounts if you have homeowners/renters insurance with them. Also, you may want to look into "Umbrella" coverage. Sometimes the umbrella allows one to lower the liability limits on the primary coverage and end up with more liability coverage for not much more in the way of premiums.

If you are financing, do look at credit unions.

For your entertainment, perhaps a little
Old May 30th 2015, 5:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky View Post
The answers on payment amounts may very well be "comparing apples to oranges." One needs the level of coverage and then compare to other people in Rochester NY, perhaps Monroe County.
Location also makes a huge difference.

When we were in Maine, the first year, insurance was $620 a year that went down to $480 the next year.

When we moved to MA, the exact same level of coverage was $1500 for the year