Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Going to be a hot night in Ferguson

Going to be a hot night in Ferguson

Old Nov 26th 2014, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going to be a hot night in Ferguson

Perhaps it is that in Hollywood the good guys need to be hit many times and go down slowly whilst the bad guys go down instantly having been hit once?
Old Nov 26th 2014, 4:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnybrown532
But the decision would have to unanimous like in jury trials?
Depends on the rules for GJs in the state (they vary a good bit), but I heard it was 9 (or more)/12 that had to vote for a trial in Missouri.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Depends on the rules for GJs in the state (they vary a good bit), but I heard it was 9 (or more)/12 that had to vote for a trial in Missouri.
That is what I read.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

And all they were looking for is whether there was a case to be answered.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

johnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Perhaps it is that in Hollywood the good guys need to be hit many times and go down slowly whilst the bad guys go down instantly having been hit once?
But no one goes down instantly after being shot unless shot in head or spinal cord is severed and no flies through the air. There was a bank robbery in the 80s during which the robber was shot quite quickly but was able to exchange gunfire with police and try to steal cars before finally dying of the fatal wound.

Last edited by johnnybrown532; Nov 26th 2014 at 4:23 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

But they usually do in Hollywood and that seems how many people judge these issues.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 5:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
But they usually do in Hollywood and that seems how many people judge these issues.
In Hollywood bullets fired at critical moments in the story line remarkably often hit their targets precisely, even when fired from a short-barreled pistol and/ or at distances of 100ft or more.

The Hollywood scenes where hundreds of bullets are fired and nobody is hit are arguably closer to reality.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Did anything come of this event: Mentally disturbed man with knife shot to death in Ferguson. This happened shortly after the 'Brown' case. I just watched the video again (link below). It's not clear why TWO armed officers needed to shoot this guy. Yes, he's yelling at the cops, and he has a knife ... but he looks like a man of slight build incapable of doing much harm - and could have been 'contained'.

How many times do the locals have to witness this kind of behavior before they 'give up'? Can you honestly say all those black kids witnessing this should 'respect' the police?

Video: Police Kill Kajieme Powell Near Ferguson -- NYMag
Old Nov 26th 2014, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Can you honestly say all those black kids witnessing this should 'respect' the police?
Anyone should be respectful to the police in order to minimize the risk of being shot.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Anyone should be respectful to the police in order to minimize the risk of being shot.
I agree with this. The lack of respect for authority is a big contributor to the anti-social behavior that is so widespread today. We were taught to respect people in authority (teachers, police and generally anyone who is older than you).

As others have said/implied, if an officer asks you to do something, you just do it. By not complying, you are immediately setting off alarm bells for them and they may already be on edge.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnybrown532
But the decision would have to unanimous like in jury trials?
There are several different mechanisms to indict someone in the US. A grand jury is just one that not all states use. Missouri needs a 3/4ths majority to make a finding and recommendation. All a grand jury has to find is that there is enough evidence to indicate there is enough evidence to bring a person to trial. The finding and recommendation of a grand jury is used by the DA to assist him/her to decide whether there is enough evidence for an indictment. The advantage of using a grand jury is that subpoenas can be used to gather evidence.

In most cases a preliminary hearing is used instead and a judge rules as to whether there is sufficient evidence to bring a person to trial. Normally the DA and/or defense just presents evidence as to whether there is or is not probable cause. The defense can often request that a preliminary hearing be waived which is often the case when the evidence is strong or the offense is minor (the defense by law gets to see the current DA's evidence in advance).
Old Nov 26th 2014, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

Did anything come of this event: Mentally disturbed man with knife shot to death in Ferguson. This happened shortly after the 'Brown' case. I just watched the video again (link below). It's not clear why TWO armed officers needed to shoot this guy. Yes, he's yelling at the cops, and he has a knife ... but he looks like a man of slight build incapable of doing much harm - and could have been 'contained'.

How many times do the locals have to witness this kind of behavior before they 'give up'? Can you honestly say all those black kids witnessing this should 'respect' the police?

Not sure what you mean by anything come of the event.

I assume he was buried or cremated.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if you actually watched/listened to the video that you shared. If anything perhaps the 'locals' that you mention will realize that if you yell: "Shoot me you motherf***ers" at a police officer, you may in fact end up getting shot. I'm not sure what other outcome could be expected?
Old Nov 26th 2014, 6:02 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate your insight into this. Do you have a link to the specific parts above? I'm sure I can find the entire text, but I imagine that is a pretty overwhelming body of work.
The best I found was Ferguson Documents: Officer Darren Wilson's Testimony : The Two-Way : NPR

It links to the original document as well as gives a summary of it.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike
I'm not sure if you actually watched/listened to the video that you shared. If anything perhaps the 'locals' that you mention will realize that if you yell: "Shoot me you motherf***ers" at a police officer, you may in fact end up getting shot. I'm not sure what other outcome could be expected?
The penalty for yelling "Shoot me you motherf***ers" at the police is to be shot dead?? How strange.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.