Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Going to be a hot night in Ferguson

Going to be a hot night in Ferguson

Old Dec 12th 2014, 11:09 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to be a hot night in Ferguson

Cops use taser on woman while she recorded arrest of another man | Ars Technica

And then try to erase her phone.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 5:58 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Would you allow an interpretation of this that suggests it is their knowledge of the system that allows them to manipulate it to their advantage?
Not sure I would use manipulate. But they know what they need to say to justify their actions. They know what a prosecutor needs to prove to get them indited. But the point you are making is valid.

Are you suggesting that Darren Wilson was giving us an entirely truthful account, or one that he knew would accommodate all the facts while still letting him off?
The forensic evidence supports his account, which I believe is truthful. To me the crucial points in his statement were where he describes the strength of Brown in comparison to his own. Where he describes how Brown tried to reach the trigger of his gun, how he describes what he thought Brown was trying to do at that moment. So when Brown turned and charged back at him it was a reasonable assumption based on what had just occurred that if Brown reached him he would attempt to takes his gun, he had the strength to do so, and would use it on the officer. The officer had reasonable grounds to be in fear of his life. That fear doesn't have to be right, it only has to be reasonable. The law allowed him to use deadly force to prevent Brown from doing what the officer feared he would do.

Most civilians would not know what the law required them to show to be allowed to use deadly force. They will tell you they were in fear of being killed but not articulate why they had that fear. You might get he was charging at me, but that isn't sufficient. They cannot explain themselves in a way that fulfills the requirements of the law. Cops can, that is why I think so few get indited.

In that situation at the scene the only comment anyone should make is "I was in fear on my life, I acted in self defense. I require to speak to a lawyer. Something else a cop knows. I want my union rep now.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
That article contains a much more chilling link ... Illinois moving to make it illegal to record police activity with (eg) cell phones ...

Illinois—again—moves to ban recording the police | Ars Technica
Old Dec 12th 2014, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
Not sure I would use manipulate. But they know what they need to say to justify their actions. They know what a prosecutor needs to prove to get them indited. But the point you are making is valid.

The forensic evidence supports his account, which I believe is truthful. To me the crucial points in his statement were where he describes the strength of Brown in comparison to his own. Where he describes how Brown tried to reach the trigger of his gun, how he describes what he thought Brown was trying to do at that moment. So when Brown turned and charged back at him it was a reasonable assumption based on what had just occurred that if Brown reached him he would attempt to takes his gun, he had the strength to do so, and would use it on the officer. The officer had reasonable grounds to be in fear of his life. That fear doesn't have to be right, it only has to be reasonable. The law allowed him to use deadly force to prevent Brown from doing what the officer feared he would do.

Most civilians would not know what the law required them to show to be allowed to use deadly force. They will tell you they were in fear of being killed but not articulate why they had that fear. You might get he was charging at me, but that isn't sufficient. They cannot explain themselves in a way that fulfills the requirements of the law. Cops can, that is why I think so few get indited.

In that situation at the scene the only comment anyone should make is "I was in fear on my life, I acted in self defense. I require to speak to a lawyer. Something else a cop knows. I want my union rep now.
Police are civilians...

Say nothing, I would think most people know that.
Old Dec 13th 2014, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

reading the news today it appears the thugs were the protesters once they found out police were present. His partner was hit on the head and forced to the ground. Witnesses say his actions were justified. I think so too.
Old Dec 13th 2014, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
reading the news today it appears the thugs were the protesters once they found out police were present. His partner was hit on the head and forced to the ground. Witnesses say his actions were justified. I think so too.
Most accounts suggest the undercover cop was trying to get the crowd to be violent and cause damage. Perhaps he got what he deserved. Of course escalating the situation by drawing his gun gangsta style was awesome judgement too.
Old Dec 13th 2014, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Of course escalating the situation by drawing his gun gangsta style was awesome judgement too.
Military and law enforcement are sometimes trained to hold sidearms at an angle, or "sideways" when presenting the weapon with their non-dominant hand. This allows the sights to line up better with your dominant eye.
Old Dec 13th 2014, 9:37 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Military and law enforcement are sometimes trained to hold sidearms at an angle, or "sideways" when presenting the weapon with their non-dominant hand. This allows the sights to line up better with your dominant eye.
Oh what bullshit.
Old Dec 13th 2014, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Leslie
Oh what bullshit.
We agree!
Old Dec 13th 2014, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

he had already drawn his baton with his dominant hand before he felt the need to draw the gun with the other hand.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 12:21 am
Account Closed

Old Dec 14th 2014, 1:44 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Oh what bullshit.
I didn't know. I did some Google research. This is what I found in Wikipedia:
..... Law enforcement officers will sometimes use the side grip to shoot while holding a riot shield or ballistic shield with their other hand. Because the shield limits the field of view, lifting and tilting the gun may make the sights more visible under these circumstances.[1] Some shooters with issues of ocular dominance will tilt the gun at a 15 to 45 degree angle in order to take advantage of their better eye; the gun held in the left hand and the sights aligned to the right eye, for example.[3] ....
It looks like Uncle Bob might have a point. As I have not seen video of this latest incident I am not certain if it helps explain what happened.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 3:03 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

It looks like Uncle Bob might have a point. As I have not seen video of this latest incident I am not certain if it helps explain what happened.
Assuming the police are even using sights. How many times have I read or heard of 2 or more officers fire 15-20 rounds, suspect hit twice.
Old Dec 14th 2014, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I guess how he was holding the weapon is not really relevant. The point is he should not have been instigating violence which put him in the situation of being called out as a cop and he should not have escalated the situation by drawing his weapon. What was he going to do, shoot his way out?
Old Dec 14th 2014, 12:25 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Since you're fact checking me, why didn't you "research" my earlier question about witness 40?

The bullshit aspect is thus. Just because (Wikipedia says so!) some cop somewhere may have been trained to hold a gun sideways, that's no defense for pointing a gun at somebody who is HOLDING A CAMERA. Probably not even a camera, probably a cell phone. The lengths you fanboys will go to, to defend thuggish behavior, has devolved to beyond absurd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.