Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

This is going to be fun for those living on the East Coast

This is going to be fun for those living on the East Coast

Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:30 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is going to be fun for those living on the East Coast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Good, that'll give more time for the anticipation to build!

Old Apr 24th 2013, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

This seems like a useful site - it's monitoring ground temperature in northern VA, so in the middle of the predicted affected geographical area. Presumably those in the south will be ahead of the graph, and those in the north will be behind.....
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
This seems like a useful site - it's monitoring ground temperature in northern VA, so in the middle of the predicted affected geographical area. Presumably those in the south will be ahead of the graph, and those in the north will be behind.....
I'm hoping that it will be at least 5 weeks before they emerge in my area. Their reign of terror was supposed to be mid April to late May.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to be out of the country for a couple of weeks, I suppose it would be too much to hope they would get it over with in that time.

In reality I suspect they will emerge just as I return in May. there doesn't seem to be an appropriate yuk smilie to express how I feel. not sick, just "get those things away from me otherwise I'll scream like a girl". If they really cover the ground so you can't avoid walking on them to get from car - house, work or shops, then I'm going to have to invest in some of those chest high fishing waders or something. Obviously wellies aren't long enough - they may jump up and get IN the wellies. Those and a bee-keepers hat and veil to stop them falling out of the trees and into my hair. Then I might leave the house.

Last edited by yellowroom; Apr 24th 2013 at 9:34 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I'm going to be out of the country for a couple of weeks, I suppose it would be too much to hope they would get it over with in that time.

In reality I suspect they will emerge just as I return in May. there doesn't seem to be an appropriate yuk smilie to express how I feel. not sick, just "get those things away from me otherwise I'll scream like a girl". If they really cover the ground so you can't avoid walking on them to get from car - house, work or shops, then I'm going to have to invest in some of those chest high fishing waders or something. Obviously wellies aren't long enough - they may jump up and get IN the wellies. Those and a bee-keepers hat and veil to stop them falling out of the trees and into my hair. Then I might leave the house.
They can't jump. They are actually quite cumbersome and are almost blind. Trouble is they fly into you. My husband was in Princeton a couple of years ago when they had a lesser outbreak. One flew into his colleague's mouth.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

I am also terrified of these along with most other flying insects. I remember watching a news article on this phenomena a few years ago (I think they were filming in Washington DC) and my OH laughingly said "Bet you're glad you don't live there". I think I said something along the lines of I would have to leave the country until they'd gone. We are due to move to NJ in May. I feel like someone up above is having a good laugh.

Which leads me onto the question, is there any other nasties I should know about? Over the past couple of weeks I've read about black bears, eagles, cicadas and the cicada killer
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
I am also terrified of these along with most other flying insects. I remember watching a news article on this phenomena a few years ago (I think they were filming in Washington DC) and my OH laughingly said "Bet you're glad you don't live there". I think I said something along the lines of I would have to leave the country until they'd gone. We are due to move to NJ in May. I feel like someone up above is having a good laugh.

Which leads me onto the question, is there any other nasties I should know about? Over the past couple of weeks I've read about black bears, eagles, cicadas and the cicada killer
We moved here in mid June 1996...a few weeks after the last emergence of the 17 yr cicadas. I remember thinking...I'll be long gone before the next lot arrive...but I'm still here...for the next few weeks at least.

Add 6" praying mantis to that list...and stink bugs...and wheel bugs...and snakes.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 24th 2013 at 10:07 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

Might need to learn to drive after all as I will be too terrified to walk the streets!
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Might need to learn to drive after all as I will be too terrified to walk the streets!
You're not familiar with NJ drivers then?

Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:11 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to know how to drive here. No-one else does.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

I must say, when we came over for our visit last month, the driving on the interstate did seem pretty horrific. OH was cursing more than usual, although we did seem to keep missing our exit signs and ended up going miles out of our way. The plus to this was that we inadvertently discover the location of the IKEA store at Paramus
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zargof
You don't need to know how to drive here. No-one else does.
****! I did have 40 lessons in an automatic (on top of 60 in a manual), so maybe I will pass my test after all!
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I must say, when we came over for our visit last month, the driving on the interstate did seem pretty horrific. OH was cursing more than usual, although we did seem to keep missing our exit signs and ended up going miles out of our way. The plus to this was that we inadvertently discover the location of the IKEA store at Paramus
OK...now that's where your husband is going wrong. Tip #1...if you miss the exit on the interstate...you stop...then reverse back until you reach the exit. Tip #2...if you are in the outside lane and you suddenly remember you need to get off at the exit looming very close. No need to look or indicate...just do a 90 degree turn and you should make the exit. If not use tip #1.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They can't jump. They are actually quite cumbersome and are almost blind. Trouble is they fly into you. My husband was in Princeton a couple of years ago when they had a lesser outbreak. One flew into his colleague's mouth.
yep, definitely need a bee-keepers veil .

Work's parking lot is full of old established trees, so coming into work will be interesting. A colleague suggested keeping an umbrella up and a broom in front to sweep the path as you walk. I modified the broom to a can of hairspray and a lighter to make a flame thrower to clear the path.

But seriously, open toed shoes will be out and keeping mouth closed will be in! Eurgh.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You're not familiar with NJ drivers then?
Why are NJ drivers so mental compared to everywhere else in the US? I swear you could tell when you crossed over the state border - everyone just went bonkers. It was very reminiscent of Italian driving. Only this time I was in my own car so a bit more worried!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.