Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

This is going to be fun for those living on the East Coast

This is going to be fun for those living on the East Coast

Old Apr 17th 2013, 12:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is going to be fun for those living on the East Coast

Originally Posted by RICH
Now giant snails are invading South Florida. ..... In 15 years time, Tampa Bay could be over-run by these monsters
Are they edible, or could they be used to make animal feed? Anything? Anything caught/ hunted seems to be in perpetual threat of extinction if we don't have quotas, closed seasons, and monitoring/ enforcement. So if we found a use, and a market, for them surely they'd be gone in a few years?
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:38 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

How are we doing stopping the Asian clam invasion in the northeast and upper midwest?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
We can stop this..Just put a line of salt along the Florida/Georgia border.
Originally Posted by RICH
Now giant snails are invading South Florida

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22155219

In 15 years time, Tampa Bay could be over-run by these monsters
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

While I'm waiting for the cicadas to crawl up out of the woodland at the back of my house (literally, can touch the trees from my deck), I noticed a couple of inchworms this evening. That annual invasion is obviously imminent, so I've liberally sprayed front and back with stuff this evening. I hate coming out of my front door and finding them all in my porch dangling down at head hight. Bleeeuuurrrghhh.

I'm trying organic insect repellent first to try and avoid polluting the food chain, but if that doesn't work I will be resorting to full chemical warfare. Sorry birdies.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 1:40 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Are they edible, or could they be used to make animal feed? Anything? Anything caught/ hunted seems to be in perpetual threat of extinction if we don't have quotas, closed seasons, and monitoring/ enforcement. So if we found a use, and a market, for them surely they'd be gone in a few years?
Perhaps snorting ground snail shells is good for erectile disfunction. That would f**k them up.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

MtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond reputeMtbbikeVanlife has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
While I'm waiting for the cicadas to crawl up out of the woodland at the back of my house (literally, can touch the trees from my deck), I noticed a couple of inchworms this evening. That annual invasion is obviously imminent, so I've liberally sprayed front and back with stuff this evening. I hate coming out of my front door and finding them all in my porch dangling down at head hight. Bleeeuuurrrghhh.

I'm trying organic insect repellent first to try and avoid polluting the food chain, but if that doesn't work I will be resorting to full chemical warfare. Sorry birdies.
Yep - they're back, not too many yet but still had to remember to keep my mouth closed whilst biking round the James River Parks system last night.... Although the extra protein might have been good for me.

Looking forward to crushing the cicadas under the wheels......

Carl.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CeejaySmiff
Yep - they're back, not too many yet but still had to remember to keep my mouth closed whilst biking round the James River Parks system last night.... Although the extra protein might have been good for me.

Looking forward to crushing the cicadas under the wheels......

Carl.
Yup, I'm sure I heard some last night....... eeewwwwwww
Old Apr 20th 2013, 12:54 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Yes, the inchworms are more annoying than cicadas, IMO. The dangling inchworms get so easily stuck on your clothes or hair & squish disgustingly if you try to brush them off. Cicadas at least stay up above in the trees or down on the ground underfoot.

...Though the cicada noise can be earsplitting sometimes, whereas the inchworms only make a quiet pitter-patter noise when they're in the trees in great numbers. (That's the noise of all their miniature poo hitting the ground, ha!)
Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

No sign of any cicada swarms yet here, though I am at the southern fringe of the predicted range. What's the situation further north?
Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No sign of any cicada swarms yet here, though I am at the southern fringe of the predicted range. What's the situation further north?
Apart from a few days of warm weather last week it's still pretty cold here...especially at night.

I believe the grubs don't emerge until the top 9 inches of soil reach around 64F...so it could be a while.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:38 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Apart from a few days of warm weather last week it's still pretty cold here...especially at night.

I believe the grubs don't emerge until the top 9 inches of soil reach around 64F...so it could be a while.
Today may be the day, though--supposed to reach to the mid- or upper-60s today, & a few forecasters say we may actually see 70 degrees here in the northeast USA!

So today the cicada grubs could begin their emergence from the dark cold ground??? Hmmm... casts a bit of a pall over the happy prospect of the first warm sunny day in a week....
Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:43 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Today may be the day, though--supposed to reach to the mid- or upper-60s today, & a few forecasters say we may actually see 70 degrees here in the northeast USA!

So today the cicada grubs could begin their emergence from the dark cold ground??? Hmmm... casts a bit of a pall over the happy prospect of the first warm sunny day in a week....
Never fear... I am putting my snow blower away this week and on Saturday will be swapping to summer tyres on my Miata.
Therefore, we will have at least 8 inches of snow by Sunday.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
Never fear... I am putting my snow blower away this week and on Saturday will be swapping to summer tyres on my Miata.
Therefore, we will have at least 8 inches of snow by Sunday.
Or maybe 8" of cicadas. Maybe you could use the snow blowers on those?
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:16 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Or maybe 8" of cicadas. Maybe you could use the snow blowers on those?
Hmmm... Blended cicadas.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue

It will take more than one day for 9" below ground to get to 64F...hopefully.

In NJ they are estimating over a billion per sq mile.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It will take more than one day for 9" below ground to get to 64F...hopefully. ....
Good, that'll give more time for the anticipation to build!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.