Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Going back for the 1st time in 14 years!

Going back for the 1st time in 14 years!

Old Oct 19th 2015, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

SallyT18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going back for the 1st time in 14 years!

Originally Posted by mrken30
Not sure if contactless would cap out in the same way as an Oyster card, though? It caps out in the same way.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless

You need either an oyster card or contactless card per person.

When you use your contactless payment card to travel you will be charged an adult-rate pay as you go fare each time you make a journey. All the features of pay as you go on Oyster are available if you use a contactless payment card, and you also benefit from daily and Monday to Sunday capping.
Good to know.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

SallyT18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrken30
Something else to do, setup google voice or similar in case you need to call the US , for instance your card gets blocked. I used vonage, but it means you can make a call where ever there is wifi and it wont cost a fortune. We did find that there were a lot of places with wifi available.
I text my family in the UK with WhatsApp and lately we've been using the voice option too--pretty good. Not a bad idea to load Skype with a few bucks in case you need to make an internet-to-phone call, too. My brother uses Google Voice and it seems to garble a lot, but then, Skype does too from time to time.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SallyT18
I text my family in the UK with WhatsApp and lately we've been using the voice option too--pretty good. Not a bad idea to load Skype with a few bucks in case you need to make an internet-to-phone call, too. My brother uses Google Voice and it seems to garble a lot, but then, Skype does too from time to time.
I also use whatsapp , seems to work well with friends and family
Old Oct 20th 2015, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

explorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to all

Ugh this just sucks, so much conflicting information. I got in touch with cap one and they say they don't issue PIN's for US based cards. After plenty of research it seems that chip and sig is widely accepted just not at unmanned kiosks. I'll be travelling all over the UK so this could get interesting. Typical of the US to be different from the rest of the civilized world
Old Oct 20th 2015, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by explorerman
Ugh this just sucks, so much conflicting information. I got in touch with cap one and they say they don't issue PIN's for US based cards. After plenty of research it seems that chip and sig is widely accepted just not at unmanned kiosks. I'll be travelling all over the UK so this could get interesting. Typical of the US to be different from the rest of the civilized world
Just tell them you need a PIN to use the ATM, dont mention chip and pin they get so confused
Old Nov 11th 2015, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

explorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to all

Just got back and had no issues using my chip and sig card in the UK. Everyone was good with it being a sig card as there is a provision for people with difficulties that can't use the pin.
I even used it at an unattended machine in Ealing North tube/train station to buy a day travel card. Popped the card in and it gave me my ticket, no fuss.
I'll pen a longer post about the rest of my experiences in a few days when I've settled back in.