British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Global Entry (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/global-entry-875278/)

AndFinally Apr 2nd 2016 9:35 pm

Global Entry

So I finally got round to applying for Global Entry, from applying in the UK to my interview in the USA it took 4 days. Remarkable.

I used it last weekend at EWR for the first time and I was super excited to experience entry into the USA without standing in line.

First problem was that of the 10 or so kiosks at Terminal C, only 2 had paper in them so 8 were out of order. A large line had formed naturally. Undeterred I waited in line (how ironic) just to see if it worked nd after 15 minutes I was at the front.

Second problem was that it didn't appear to read my passport and the kiosk "helper" was not sure if I should present my passport photo page or L1-A Visa page. After quite a few attempts we managed to get it to read my passport photo page. I answered the questions and I got the Global Entry special receipt with a huge black "X" marked across it. I had to then wait in line at primary. The CBP officer seemed quite puzzled at how my Global Entry account had been setup by her colleagues. She informed me it had been setup incorrectly and there was a problem with my L1-A. She promptly sent me to secondary where I waited for over an hour before being spoken down to. (Literally) The secondary CBP officer said my Visa had been linked to my passport incorrectly and that I needed to apply for Global Entry again. I wasn't going to argue as I just wanted to get home.

Not a fantastic experience and back to the drawing board with my Global Entry application!

loubiblu Apr 2nd 2016 11:08 pm

Re: Global Entry

Originally Posted by AndFinally (Post 11912032)
So I finally got round to applying for Global Entry, from applying in the UK to my interview in the USA it took 4 days. Remarkable.

I used it last weekend at EWR for the first time and I was super excited to experience entry into the USA without standing in line.

First problem was that of the 10 or so kiosks at Terminal C, only 2 had paper in them so 8 were out of order. A large line had formed naturally. Undeterred I waited in line (how ironic) just to see if it worked nd after 15 minutes I was at the front.

Second problem was that it didn't appear to read my passport and the kiosk "helper" was not sure if I should present my passport photo page or L1-A Visa page. After quite a few attempts we managed to get it to read my passport photo page. I answered the questions and I got the Global Entry special receipt with a huge black "X" marked across it. I had to then wait in line at primary. The CBP officer seemed quite puzzled at how my Global Entry account had been setup by her colleagues. She informed me it had been setup incorrectly and there was a problem with my L1-A. She promptly sent me to secondary where I waited for over an hour before being spoken down to. (Literally) The secondary CBP officer said my Visa had been linked to my passport incorrectly and that I needed to apply for Global Entry again. I wasn't going to argue as I just wanted to get home.

Not a fantastic experience and back to the drawing board with my Global Entry application!

4 days? I'm intrigued by this timeframe. We are on L1-A and L2 visas. I applied on behalf of my husband and myself on 22nd Feb. First stage was applying to the UK for an access code. It took 10 days for the UK to do their checks and send the code. Next step was to apply via the GOES website. Initial checks took a further 8 days, at which point we were invited to make an appointment for an interview. Earliest available was 4/20

Have we been unlucky with our dates? They seem to follow what the website said so how did you do it in 4 days?

Mind if your experience in using it is typical then maybe I should stick to the regular lines.

AndFinally Apr 3rd 2016 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by loubiblu (Post 11912074)
4 days? I'm intrigued by this timeframe. We are on L1-A and L2 visas. I applied on behalf of my husband and myself on 22nd Feb. First stage was applying to the UK for an access code. It took 10 days for the UK to do their checks and send the code. Next step was to apply via the GOES website. Initial checks took a further 8 days, at which point we were invited to make an appointment for an interview. Earliest available was 4/20

Have we been unlucky with our dates? They seem to follow what the website said so how did you do it in 4 days?

Mind if your experience in using it is typical then maybe I should stick to the regular lines.

I have to admit I was surprised at how quick it was. A colleague of mine got it in just under 10 days. I am in NYC and had quite a few options of location for interview, I found the downtown in Manhattan had the most availability.

Maybe I got lucky.

For reference, I applied for the UK code and got it same day. I created an account on GOES and it was pending review for a couple of days and then it asked me to schedule and interview. There was availability same day so I went in and did the interview. It's not really an "interview", they review your passport, Visa and take a photo and some fingerprints.

Good luck!

lansbury Apr 3rd 2016 3:18 pm

Mrs L and I applied for ours here as we are both USC. I waited 3 months for an interview. and Mrs L who submitted her application last November had her interview mid March.

Orangepants Apr 6th 2016 2:32 pm

I just received my approval code from the UK, registered yesterday, so am now registering for GOES. I am a visa holder so am I considered a Lawful Permanent Resident of the US? I believed that term applied to GC holders but in this context, would I considered as such?? Thanks

Edit: Went with No and then was asked for visa category so application now complete. So the answer is no.

rpjs Apr 7th 2016 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Orangepants (Post 11915347)
I just received my approval code from the UK, registered yesterday, so am now registering for GOES. I am a visa holder so am I considered a Lawful Permanent Resident of the US? I believed that term applied to GC holders but in this context, would I considered as such?? Thanks

Edit: Went with No and then was asked for visa category so application now complete. So the answer is no.

That's right - the "Permanent" bit is what means the term applies to Green Card holders. You are a Lawful Resident of the US, just not a Permanent one.

Orangepants Apr 12th 2016 8:15 pm

So received my approval from the US side and now to schedule interview. None available in Charlotte! Guess I just keep checking back for dates but the notice says I have to schedule interview within 30 days of approval. Does it then expire and I have to get approval again.. I will keep you posted.

tonrob Apr 12th 2016 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Orangepants (Post 11921186)
So received my approval from the US side and now to schedule interview. None available in Charlotte! Guess I just keep checking back for dates but the notice says I have to schedule interview within 30 days of approval. Does it then expire and I have to get approval again.. I will keep you posted.

You have to schedule it, not attend it, within the timeframe.

Steve_ Apr 14th 2016 1:33 am

I think your problem is because of your visa, I know the NEXUS office here struggles with that one. It's a good idea to keep an eye on your GOES record.

If you're a Canadian or US citizen, it goes much more smoothly.

All I can say is, I've lost count of the number of times it has saved my ass.

For example I was at Orlando airport a couple of months ago, the building was literally FULL of people waiting for TSA, I mean so full I had to walk along the edge of the walls to get around the massive number of people waiting, to get to the Precheck line. Huge wave of relief came over me as there were only about 20 people waiting.

Forget about $60, I'd pay $600 for it without thinking twice.

Steve_ Apr 14th 2016 1:36 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11912526)
Mrs L and I applied for ours here as we are both USC. I waited 3 months for an interview. and Mrs L who submitted her application last November had her interview mid March.

I got quoted 5 months I think last time I renewed, if you show up first thing and wait though they'll make time for you if you can, which is what I did at YYC.

Peace Arch is the worst one, trying to get an appointment there is next to impossible. Even Sweet Grass is pretty busy, I was looking at two months wait there and it's not near anywhere.

Orangepants Apr 14th 2016 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 11921286)
You have to schedule it, not attend it, within the timeframe.

So I believe the system has now caught up with me. I tried to schedule immediately as it told me that was the next step. I received an email this am that I should schedule so went online and hey presto - all the dates are now open starting next Tuesday. So excited. Maybe I wont dread Miami airport so much anymore:unsure:

Former Lancastrian Apr 16th 2016 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11922496)
I got quoted 5 months I think last time I renewed, if you show up first thing and wait though they'll make time for you if you can, which is what I did at YYC.

Peace Arch is the worst one, trying to get an appointment there is next to impossible. Even Sweet Grass is pretty busy, I was looking at two months wait there and it's not near anywhere.

For renewals for NEXUS its a 60% chance you won't have to go for a renewal interview I didn't.
Now that Westjet are a designated airline NEXUS just got sweeter as you now get TSA pre check providing you enter your pass id# when booking flights online or via a travel agent.

Orangepants Apr 21st 2016 4:14 pm

So my GOES application is complete - 2 weeks start to finish. The Officer told me the application is linked to my visa so I scan the visa page not the passport page on entry. I'm heading to London in a couple of weeks for a new visa so I have to go back to the office and they'll scan the new visa. Looks like I cant use GE to come back in this time. He said to try and I'd have to be processed at the desk anyway.
Others in the waiting room I heard had been waiting for 3 months for their interviews! They were US passport holders.

Westham Jun 1st 2016 1:21 pm

My wife and I applied online (we are both USC) and within 2 weeks got approval and then scheduled our appointments, first available at Long Beach CA was September (approx. 6 month wait) I then checked LAX and got an appointment for both of us on June 13th (7 weeks after application was approved) We were also surprised that you can schedule up to and including 8.30 p.m. We took 8.00 p.m. so we don't have to miss a work day and should also miss most of the Los Angeles/LAX traffic.

Steve_ Jun 2nd 2016 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11924830)
For renewals for NEXUS its a 60% chance you won't have to go for a renewal interview I didn't.

Well I did, lucky me. Not sure why but I know they had problems with the "issuing authority" on the passports, they couldn't change it but now they can so perhaps they wanted to physically see it.

Westham Jun 15th 2016 2:12 pm

My wife and I both had our interviews at LAX on Monday evening, we were scheduled at 8.00 p.m. and got there at 7.00 p.m. We check in and they called us within 5 minutes, there were about 6 officers conducting the interviews in an open area which take approx. 5-6 minutes, simple questions just really confirming basic knowledge of the applicant along with some international travel history, take photo and full set of finger prints from both hands and two thumbs together.
We can use our TSA fast security check and the Global Entry Kiosks immediately and we will receive our Global Entry photo ID cards in the mail
within two weeks of the interview.
Seems more travelers are applying since the recent reports of extra long security lines have made the news on the media. Hopefully not too many have applied which may well defeat the operation, we shall see :fingerscrossed:

Westham Jun 21st 2016 12:55 pm

My wife and I received our Global Entry ID cards in the mail on Saturday just four days after our evening interview at LAX. Really surprised how quick these arrived, had to verify receipt of cards online by entering 3 digit security codes on the back of the cards and that's it good to go (or rather return) for 5 years. :-)

g1ant Jun 23rd 2016 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Westham (Post 11979411)
My wife and I received our Global Entry ID cards in the mail on Saturday just four days after our evening interview at LAX. Really surprised how quick these arrived, had to verify receipt of cards online by entering 3 digit security codes on the back of the cards and that's it good to go (or rather return) for 5 years. :-)

You are good to go as soon as your interview is finished. You don't need the actual card for anything at all.

lansbury Jun 23rd 2016 6:10 pm

Arrived back at PDX yesterday and all the GE terminals were out of order. Got taken straight to the front of the main line, while being glared at by everyone who was waiting.

Westham Jun 23rd 2016 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11981832)
Arrived back at PDX yesterday and all the GE terminals were out of order. Got taken straight to the front of the main line, while being glared at by everyone who was waiting.

My wife returned from London yesterday to LAX and had the same problem and was also taken to the front of the line. Teething problems with their system:ohmy: Hopefully:fingerscrossed: better lick next time

rbackhouse Jun 23rd 2016 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Westham (Post 11981909)
Hopefully:fingerscrossed: better lick next time

I don't think licking them is going to help

Westham Jun 27th 2016 5:24 pm

We can always try :p:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by rbackhouse (Post 11981912)
I don't think licking them is going to help