Gizza Job

Old Aug 30th 2019, 1:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gizza Job

If the pizza place is paying hourly plus tips you will probably be doing other things when there is nothing to deliver, cleaning, food prep-etc.

Originally Posted by sid nv
The attraction of working for the UBERs is that you get to pick and choose what orders to accept, so in theory you have complete flexibility with hours and you are your own boss. The reality is as I found out yesterday when I accepted an order to drive to the other end of town (which itself is unusual), I arrived at Round Table to discover the order was not ready to pick up but I had to order and pay for the Pizza which is another 20 minutes waiting for the Pizza to be prepared during which I am not being paid.
As it happens, Round Table are hiring delivery drivers. So how does this work if there are no orders coming in? Is it a fixed hours shift? Does the driver have to accept any other duties while idle on shift: cleaning the kitchen, restrooms etc?
Old Aug 30th 2019, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
This deal where orders don't seem to be placed for you, and aren't paid for by the original buyer through their 'app', suggests a really crappy outfit doing the service. Is this one of the many companies I've seen out and about (doordash, grubhub, postmates, etc)? It would be interesting to see if your particular service is just a bad implementation.

I eat out all the time and see all these companies doing pickups, so I know they are busy - especially doordash and grubhub. They show up at the restaurant and seem to pick up their order and leave without any fuss.

https://urbantastebud.com/best-food-...-service-apps/

However, I have never in my life ordered home delivery (not even pizza!) so I can't say I know how the whole process works, end-to-end. I prefer my food freshly prepared and don't trust the delivery folks to handle the order cleanly/safely. Also, I don't like having strangers come to my door ... (Amazon delivery is blowing that particular fettish! ).
The company in question is the outfit that was recently in the news when their tipping policy was described in a New York Times article. I read that one Alan Arkin in NYC has started a class action suit against them for deception over their claim that the drivers receive tips on the app.
Some orders are placed and paid for on the app (Appleby's, Denny's), and some have to be ordered and paid for on arrival - fast food outlets and now it appears some pizza places.
There have been some reports of drivers helping themselves to a few french fries etc. Tampering with food is I believe a felony offence.
Old Aug 30th 2019, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

The company in question is the outfit that was recently in the news when their tipping policy was described in a New York Times article. I read that one Alan Arkin in NYC has started a class action suit against them for deception over their claim that the drivers receive tips on the app.
Some orders are placed and paid for on the app (Appleby's, Denny's), and some have to be ordered and paid for on arrival - fast food outlets and now it appears some pizza places.
There have been some reports of drivers helping themselves to a few french fries etc. Tampering with food is I believe a felony offence.
Interesting! So they are trying to catch a wide audience by offering not only 'associated' / 'signed up' vendors (Denny's, Appleby's), but 'any vendor you want', and then asking you to place the order for these 'non-associated' vendors. What's really odd here is - almost every restaurant I know will accept a direct 'take out' order from a member of the public, totally independent of whether they support these new 'app' services. So I can call my local Pizza place, or my local Indian restaurant, and place an order. They take my name, and that's it. I drive there, tell them my name, and pick up the order, which was started / placed the minute I hung up the phone. But in your case, they go through this 'app', and have to wait till you get to the restaurant before the order even gets started - so much longer process - longer time before I get my food.

I'll keep the name anonymous in this thread but if you google the particulars you mention above, it's super easy to find. So this really is one of the mainstream players, and ... wow ... their tip process is downright fraudulent (or was until that buy blew the whistle).

I think I watched a movie once where it showed kids 'doing stuff' with the pizzas they were delivering and it really put me off Also, I spent the last 25 years living in a house at the end of a steep, winding private road with no turnaround. so anyone who came to our house had to figure out how to turn around in a tight spot, and 50% of the time they would hit the fence or the wall or something ... which meant I was forever repairing the stuff ... so I've always tried to minimize the number of strangers coming to my home!
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 2:51 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I asked the mods about posting about what I do for a living - I'm a "destination services consultant" which means I help people move into the city I live in - dealing with housing/ssn/banks/schools. I'm an independant contractor and I work with "Destination Services Providers' who are contracted on behalf of multi-national companies.
The age range of us is mid 20's-60's, mostly female but some blokes. Backgrounds are usually pretty international - moving around and experienced in what our "assignees" are going through isn't a pre-requisite but very much liked - often bi-lingual but not always and often a professional background of some kind. It's a great job and pays pretty well. If you live in a place where there are a lot of people arriving/departing then it might be something to look out for?
In my case, I contacted the company that organised my move state-side and they took me on. Then I updated my LinkedIn profile to have "destination services consultand + city name" and I've had others contact me through that. One of them has an alert in place on LinkedIN and I was contacted by them within a couple of days of updating my profile
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I asked the mods about posting about what I do for a living - I'm a "destination services consultant" which means I help people move into the city I live in - dealing with housing/ssn/banks/schools. I'm an independant contractor and I work with "Destination Services Providers' who are contracted on behalf of multi-national companies.
The age range of us is mid 20's-60's, mostly female but some blokes. Backgrounds are usually pretty international - moving around and experienced in what our "assignees" are going through isn't a pre-requisite but very much liked - often bi-lingual but not always and often a professional background of some kind. It's a great job and pays pretty well. If you live in a place where there are a lot of people arriving/departing then it might be something to look out for?
In my case, I contacted the company that organised my move state-side and they took me on. Then I updated my LinkedIn profile to have "destination services consultand + city name" and I've had others contact me through that. One of them has an alert in place on LinkedIN and I was contacted by them within a couple of days of updating my profile
I do indeed live in a place where there are a lot of people arriving and departing, but since this is a popular destination for older folk, our perception of departing may differ. I have seen a few jobs advertised with descriptions such as Removal Technician, with requirements including ability to lift 100 lbs+, ability to work with kindness and compassion for the deceased and their families, and ability to work in a fast paced environment. As to their destination, this is a grave question and one can only hope their SSN will admit them to the right place.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 9:00 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent, Sid!
Old Sep 4th 2019, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

I do indeed live in a place where there are a lot of people arriving and departing, but since this is a popular destination for older folk, our perception of departing may differ. I have seen a few jobs advertised with descriptions such as Removal Technician, with requirements including ability to lift 100 lbs+, ability to work with kindness and compassion for the deceased and their families, and ability to work in a fast paced environment. As to their destination, this is a grave question and one can only hope their SSN will admit them to the right place.
ha ha... Wicked Whack...
Did you write that while queuing for the pizzas?
Old Sep 4th 2019, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

That is a good question, and can probably only be answered accurately in the long term. However if I take today as an example, I earned $31.51 over a period of 5.5 hours and drove 32 miles. If I use the IRS mileage rate of 58c per mile to calculate expenses, I have $18.56 in costs, resulting in a profit of $12.95, or $2.35 per hour. And that is on a good day. Businesses often benefit from employing relatives, so if I take my wife along for the ride there should be some consideration for her effort but I have not yet figured out how that works.

As admirable as this bit of capitalist exploitation is, I have to wonder how long this practice will stand up to scrutiny especially in libtard states like California.
I earn money in a similar way - my ‘boss’ is an algorithm in an app - but mine is for personal grocery shopping and delivery. It pays MUCH better than that. I make around $12-$13 on average for every hour I’m on shift, either working or sitting around st home waiting for an order. For the time when I’m actively working an order, it’s around $17-$18 an hour, or about $13-$14 after allowing for mileage and additional SE taxes.

Be happy to tell you more more if you’re interested in giving it a try (but not sure I can name my app company on the forum, so maybe via PM).
Old Sep 5th 2019, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MMcD
ha ha... Wicked Whack...
No, but I really must stop posting when I am tired and emotional.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kodokan

I earn money in a similar way - my ‘boss’ is an algorithm in an app - but mine is for personal grocery shopping and delivery. It pays MUCH better than that. I make around $12-$13 on average for every hour I’m on shift, either working or sitting around st home waiting for an order. For the time when I’m actively working an order, it’s around $17-$18 an hour, or about $13-$14 after allowing for mileage and additional SE taxes.

Be happy to tell you more more if you’re interested in giving it a try (but not sure I can name my app company on the forum, so maybe via PM).
Would PM be an abbreviation for PostMates?
Old Sep 5th 2019, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Would PM be an abbreviation for PostMates?
Ha, no! I meant personal message, via the messaging system.

I am actually signed up to PostMates, but have so far only done one delivery. It was underwhelming.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
ha ha... Wicked Whack...
No, but I really must stop posting when I am tired and emotional.
To the contrary - I was actually applauding your reply - (to what struck me as a pretty self-serving post.)
It was *very* funny.

Matter of fact - I've actually been admiring the ironic detachment and grim humour you sometimes summon in recounting this impasse in your life.
Can't be easy for you....But keep on keepin' on, as they say...
It's all relative...
And could be a whole lot worse. See here:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/21/nyregion/doordash-ubereats-food-app-delivery-bike.html

Last edited by MMcD; Sep 5th 2019 at 5:13 am. Reason: Added link
Old Sep 5th 2019, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

What's the tax filing situation when you earn money this way? Will it be easy?
Old Sep 5th 2019, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Very. The company sends me a 1099 at year-end, which I then use to complete a Schedule C. I track my mileage automatically using an app that detects when I’m driving, and deduct the standard IRS rate as a business expense. I pay self-employment/ FICA taxes on the net amount, and it also goes into the overall income pot for income taxes, along with W2, dividends, etc; TurboTax sorts it all out.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tax filing easy? Aliens from the planet Britain, start here:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.