Reload this Page >

Giving up on the iPhone ...

Giving up on the iPhone ...

Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Giving up on the iPhone ...

Originally Posted by Desdemona
A question about using your iphone in the UK. How does one do that and bypass the service with AT&T? All I need is the phone service while I'm there. I know I can turn data roaming off thereby avoiding roaming charges. Is it possible to purchase any sim card in the UK and use it in my phone ?
Tesco sell it, so my assumption would be you would just need your US one unlocked and a Tesco SIM.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:41 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Tesco sell it, so my assumption would be you would just need your US one unlocked and a Tesco SIM.
But how does that work when I return to the US and want to resume my service with AT&T which we will continue to pay for while we're gone ?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

But how does that work when I return to the US and want to resume my service with AT&T which we will continue to pay for while we're gone ?
Take out your UK SIM, put in you US one.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:53 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Take out your UK SIM, put in you US one.
That's what I was hoping But how do I get my iphone unlocked ??

Last edited by Desdemona; Jan 7th 2010 at 11:56 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 1:34 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I was hoping But how do I get my iphone unlocked ??
Can't do it through AT&T. You can google for "unlock iphone" and see what you find. Warning: it's possible to brick the 'phone by doing this, and also, you may need to relock it to receive firmware updates from Apple.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I'm leaning toward getting a Blackberry Curve to replace my plain jane phone that's battery is failing fast. It sounds like experiences with that model on Verizon are fairly positive ... looking forward to reading more reviews.

Am I the only one who likes flip phones? I still hold it between my shoulder and ear sometimes and it makes me crazy that you can't do that with smartphones. I'd like a smartphone that's also a flip phone but would allow me to access e-mail. I could skip the music, etc.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 2:14 am
Banned

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Can't do it through AT&T. You can google for "unlock iphone" and see what you find. Warning: it's possible to brick the 'phone by doing this, and also, you may need to relock it to receive firmware updates from Apple.
Nah, I don't think I'll take a chance. Just get the service so I can use it in the UK to call back home. However I found an old Samsung phone with GSM 850/GSM1900. Could I possibly use this in the UK ?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 2:44 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, I don't think I'll take a chance. Just get the service so I can use it in the UK to call back home. However I found an old Samsung phone with GSM 850/GSM1900. Could I possibly use this in the UK ?
No: UK is 900/1800. You need a UK dual-band, or international tri- or quad-band 'phone.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:03 am
Banned

No: UK is 900/1800. You need a UK dual-band, or international tri- or quad-band 'phone.
Thanks for the info. I'll figure out something. Thanks to everyone for all the useful tips
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

Iv'e had an iphone since they first came out. Dropped two and had to buy new one's. But, well worth it, being 50, and being shortsighted I need to be able to spread out the text. As far as i'm cencerned, I am happy with the technology in my pocket!!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:08 am
Shocked of Redmond

Thanks for the info. I'll figure out something. Thanks to everyone for all the useful tips
If you don't really mind whether you get a super-spiffy new 'phone, but just want something to make calls, try eBay.

If you want something compact look for something like the Sony Ericsson T68. I had one of those, and they're pretty good, and you can pick one up unlocked for around $20 including shipping. For a much better 'phone in terms of signal and reception, but a bit bigger and a little more expensive, I recommend the Nokia 6310. These grab onto a signal and never let go. An old, but really great 'phone, if all you want to do is make calls.

Last edited by nettlebed; Jan 8th 2010 at 3:18 am.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:24 am
Banned

If you don't really mind whether you get a super-spiffy new 'phone, but just want something to make calls, try eBay.

If you want something compact look for something like the Sony Ericsson T68. I had one of those, and they're pretty good, and you can pick one up unlocked for around $20 including shipping. For a much better 'phone in terms of signal and reception, but a bit bigger and a little more expensive, I recommend the Nokia 6310. These grab onto a signal and never let go. An old, but really great 'phone, if all you want to do is make calls.
Now I know what should be looking for and where. Probably save a bundle getting it on ebay before I leave. You have been so helpful, thanks a million
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:33 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

That's probably the best plan. I used my iPhone mostly for data - only made a few short phone calls. Although.... I just checked my usage on AT&T's website. Right now they are listing my international calls as coming out of my standard minutes, whereas I had thought that I would be billed per minute on those in addition to the $5 charge for the roaming plan. I guess I'll have to wait for the actual bill to see what they did.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I'm leaning toward getting a Blackberry Curve to replace my plain jane phone that's battery is failing fast. It sounds like experiences with that model on Verizon are fairly positive ... looking forward to reading more reviews.

Am I the only one who likes flip phones? I still hold it between my shoulder and ear sometimes and it makes me crazy that you can't do that with smartphones. I'd like a smartphone that's also a flip phone but would allow me to access e-mail. I could skip the music, etc.
I had the Google Droid last month for a couple of weeks; not bad, but keyboard is worthless (given that they went to the trouble of giving you a physical keyboard). The browser scales (can make text bigger) but not the email appliction - very frustrating for me. Calls were rock solid.

Today I got the HTC Touch Pro 2; having trouble setting up email at the mo but it's got a great keyboard and the display looks good; will report back later ...

After playing with these two phones, though - the iPhone really stands head and shoulders above them, in terms of the 'user interface/experience'. IF ONLY they could fix the dropped call issue ...
Old Jan 8th 2010, 1:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
That's probably the best plan. I used my iPhone mostly for data - only made a few short phone calls. Although.... I just checked my usage on AT&T's website. Right now they are listing my international calls as coming out of my standard minutes, whereas I had thought that I would be billed per minute on those in addition to the $5 charge for the roaming plan. I guess I'll have to wait for the actual bill to see what they did.
What I was told was that any international calls I made would be charged per minute and incoming calls would come out of my standard minutes ?! I have been using my skype phone to make international calls. Or the landline. Hopefully, you can get back to us on what you find out Another thing I need to find out from AT&T is if the calls I make back home to the rest of the family on my family plan will come out of my standard minutes ??

Last edited by Desdemona; Jan 8th 2010 at 1:03 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.