Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Getting tired of the USA

Getting tired of the USA

Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting tired of the USA

Originally Posted by fakey
Oooh oooh Im an epicurean
Yeah, it happens sometimes
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Yeah, it happens sometimes
Sometimes don't you just want to have a nice big mucky slice of something bad for you, though?
Old Jul 6th 2016, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Sometimes don't you just want to have a nice big mucky slice of something bad for you, though?
I eat all sorts of stuff. I eat Nutella from the jar. I can finish a whole jar in one go. These days I'm onto mochi ice cream. I can finish a whole box of them from Trader Joe's in one go. I love chocolate and regularly finish a whole bar. (Not to set you off again, but I don't eat Cadbury's or Hershey's.)
So yes, I eat stuff without thinking about whether it's good or bad for me. Again, we're back to the subjective subject of taste.

Also, having a big slice of murky something isn't necessarily bad for you, depending on the rest of your diet. I eat like I described, but I'm a size 2 and pretty healthy, because I also love to eat a variety of other things plus I keep active.

My tone of delivery - if it sounds snobbish or pretentious to you like you wrote before - well, I don't mean it to be - but I understand if you think so.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

These days I'm onto mochi ice cream. I can finish a whole box of them from Trader Joe's in one go.
That's Sarah & Duck food. Only a few people will understand that one.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter loves mochi
Old Jul 6th 2016, 9:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I eat all sorts of stuff. I eat Nutella from the jar. I can finish a whole jar in one go. These days I'm onto mochi ice cream. I can finish a whole box of them from Trader Joe's in one go. I love chocolate and regularly finish a whole bar. (Not to set you off again, but I don't eat Cadbury's or Hershey's.)
So yes, I eat stuff without thinking about whether it's good or bad for me. Again, we're back to the subjective subject of taste.
There, see. Except you're still doing your best not to 'slum it' there, aren't you?

Also, having a big slice of murky something isn't necessarily bad for you, depending on the rest of your diet. I eat like I described, but I'm a size 2 and pretty healthy, because I also love to eat a variety of other things plus I keep active.
Well, obviously one slice isn't what's bad for you, it's what it's a slice of that is.

Diet isn't that complicated anyway. Calories in vs calories out is perfectly adequate for most people. I've dropped 25 pounds without even faffing about with micronutrients, simply by maintaining a deficit and I haven't had to change too much of what I eat, other than volume.

Could I have lost twice as much in the same time had I done something like a ketogenic diet, or some other macronutrient focused plan? Yes, maybe, but I would also have been 100% more likely to fall off the wagon and eat an entire bag of Doritos for breakfast one day as well. I'll stick to CICO with a week or two of low carb here and there and I'll get where I need to be before I'm 40, which is more important that anything else.

Might as well continue enjoying to eat along the way though, right?

My tone of delivery - if it sounds snobbish or pretentious to you like you wrote before - well, I don't mean it to be - but I understand if you think so.
Some of it does, but such are the limitations of the written word versus the spoken word, I suppose.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 9:49 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'd argue that good quality, unadulterated food and drink is more widely distributed and accessible in the UK than the U.S. There's the excellent phenomenon in UK supermarkets of presenting two or three ranges of equivalent products on the same shelf at each branch. "Taste the difference," standard middle of the road, and "everyday value." In my local Tesco in England, I can get good products that I'd have to go to Wholefoods or similar in the U.S. to find. By contrast, in our local Save-a-Lot or Walmart in the U.S., almost all the food is substandard crap (except for some staples such as butter.)

Can't blame the U.S. for the fact that it's a huge country, often sparsely populated. To find a Trader Joes, a high quality supermarket, a decent liquor store, a French or German bakery, I have to drive about 130 miles (Syracuse, NY or Burlington, VT.)
Found your problem right there. By contrast, there are about eight high quality, cheaper than Whole Foods supermarkets within ten miles of my house.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 9:54 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, they seem to want to add a weight of cheese equal to the weight of the pizza dough, then fry it. .... I ate at Pizzeria Due in Chicago once, it was an interesting experience, but not one I have ever felt the urge to repeat. Maybe when we visit Chicago some time with little Miss P.
1. Pizzeria Due sucks.
2. Thin crust is sold at every pizza place in Chicago (a fact I've noted repeatedly here). This notion that somehow Chicago pizza uniformly = deep dish / stuffed is a notion that only people not from Chicago believe.

Essentially you went to a tourist trap and ordered a tourist pizza and then were disappointed. Let me know the next time you're here and I'll tell you where to go.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 9:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Found your problem right there. ....
I suspect that Robin has local access to extremely fresh free-range venison, turkey, rabbits, as well as some more niche game animals, and a variety of fish. ..... He would just have to go out and catch them!
Old Jul 7th 2016, 11:48 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
A big plate of crisp fried bacon does it for me
Old Jul 8th 2016, 12:20 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Found your problem right there. By contrast, there are about eight high quality, cheaper than Whole Foods supermarkets within ten miles of my house.
Yes, my point exactly.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I suspect that Robin has local access to extremely fresh free-range venison, turkey, rabbits, as well as some more niche game animals, and a variety of fish. ..... He would just have to go out and catch them!
I threaten my neighbour I'll catch and skin her bloody cat if I catch it sh!tting in my garden. But I wouldn't eat it. She knows I'm (somewhat) joking, and she gives us eggs on a regular basis, and very good they are too.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 3:17 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

1. Pizzeria Due sucks.
2. Thin crust is sold at every pizza place in Chicago (a fact I've noted repeatedly here). This notion that somehow Chicago pizza uniformly = deep dish / stuffed is a notion that only people not from Chicago believe.

Essentially you went to a tourist trap and ordered a tourist pizza and then were disappointed. Let me know the next time you're here and I'll tell you where to go.
We were in Chicago last week, went to Lou Malnati's, ordered our first ever proper deep dish pizza and were NOT disappointed. That was some good shit
Old Jul 9th 2016, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I miss having US cultural experience. What is the US equivalent of farleys rusks, calpol, sudocreme , TCP, ant pens, etc. If had had grown up in the US I would know about Elmer's glue and not Copydex.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 4:19 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
farleys rusks.
Yum!

Uhh.. Sorry... Carry on...
Old Jul 9th 2016, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Nutek
Yum!

Uhh.. Sorry... Carry on...
Exactly , YUM. I would have liked my kids to have experienced the yumminess. maybe amazon, back later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.