Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Getting tired of the USA

Getting tired of the USA

Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting tired of the USA

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I was talking about atomic similarity. You were banging on about taste being objective which it absolutely isn't, or I'd like bananas.

And don't twist my words because you've got your knickers in a twist, sharing your knowledge wasn't what made you pretentious, it was the method of delivery and your absolutism that did.
Huh?

To the contrary. I said taste is subjective. You even quoted me on it, even further, you tried to call me out on it.

There's nothing to twist for me or that I have twisted (pretzels?). You got argumentative and just aren't getting it. Atomic similarity is irrelevant here. I haven't even started sharing scientific knowledge because you obviously aren't open to it and further you're hostile to it. I'm not going to say anymore. This is one of those situations where a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Enjoy your cake. Seriously. Atomically - if we don't count the atoms - it's not too different than steak or fish.

OK, I'm out.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Anybody whose familiar with cities such as New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New Orleans and even the lesser large populated cities would know that the variety of food of all types whether home grown or from other parts of the world is staggering beyond belief. We're a land of immigrants and have the most diverse population in the world. Immigrants bring all their skills with them including culinary skills, some of the worlds finest chefs reside here. Whether you want prepared Maine lobster or a delicacy native to the Himalayas you'll find it here somewhere.

Talking about Chinese food, hamburgers and pizzas is only a small part of the big picture. When it comes to really good food America has it all and more
I'm not really convinced by this. Britain, Germany, Australia (etc etc.) "has it all and more" too. The fact is, there is such a thing as standard American food. Small town diner, IHOP, fast food places, Cracker Barrel, supermarkets such as Walmart. And I'd still contend that this standard American food is seriously substandard. To go back to my original example, the apple pie you'd get in a typical American diner, or Cracker Barrel etc.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Huh?

To the contrary. I said taste is subjective. You even quoted me on it, even further, you tried to call me out on it.

There's nothing to twist for me or that I have twisted (pretzels?). You got argumentative and just aren't getting it. Atomic similarity is irrelevant here. I haven't even started sharing scientific knowledge because you obviously aren't open to it and further you're hostile to it. I'm not going to say anymore. This is one of those situations where a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Enjoy your cake. Seriously. Atomically - if we don't count the atoms - it's not too different than steak or fish.

OK, I'm out.
Cake isn't different to steak or fish ?
Have you lost your mind ?
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I used to pine away for all the British fare in the early days. Now I try to associate it with trips back there, so it becomes part of that holiday instead of something I miss all the time.

Seems to have worked so far, but YMMV
i just have memories of the food back in the UK. We don't visit that much, twice in 8 years, and one of those was for a funeral.

The biggest problem I still have is what to buy in a grocery store. My wife does 99% of the shopping and I think UK style on what I would buy for a quick snack. I can only eat so much pizza.

No baked bean worth eating, frozen food department is pizza, icecream and chicken nuggets. No good sausages, chicken kievs ect. No curry in the deli , just fried chicken wings.

It's just a different selection of food, not bad but making a meal takes mental energy.

I also try to buy foods without hydrogenated fats or HFCS

Last edited by mrken30; Jul 6th 2016 at 8:20 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fakey
I thought fish cakes were an English thing
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

I live approx 30 miles west of NYC & the food is fine.
This forum must be one of the only places on the planet where people laud the glories of English cuisine.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrken30
I thought fish cakes were an English thing
At a sub-atomic level they're identical apparently
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it's very different. That's the point I was trying to make. SoS keeps saying that all cake is atomically the same, and I pointed out that you and I, a cat and a dog, a steak and fish are all "atomically" more or less the same as well in the way he (SoS) is describing it. So, that way of putting it is really totally off.

So, no, I haven't lost MY mind.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

At a sub-atomic level they're identical apparently
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

What's a few atoms and quarks between friendson BE, eh?
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I live approx 30 miles west of NYC & the food is fine.
This forum must be one of the only places on the planet where people laud the glories of English cuisine.
In post #15 of this thread I made a tongue in cheek throwaway remark about crappy American food (more a reference to threads here past & present) and the fallout is still going strong.

Yup, there's good food and not so good food.

But yeah, English food is better.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
In post #15 of this thread I made a tongue in cheek throwaway remark about crappy American food (more a reference to threads here past & present) and the fallout is still going strong.

Atomic fallout
Where's the shelter?
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:49 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Huh?

I went back and found it, you're right, I didn't remember that one correctly. That being said, you were going on about how everything just has to be done this one way to be right, which seems pretty absolute to me.

Show me a universe where describing yourself as an 'epicurean' isn't pretentious though.

Don't patronise me.

If you think I'm not open to science, you're not as good at reading as you are at making cakes.

OK, I'm out.
The cake is bloody irrelevant, I just kept bringing that up because you were looking down on store bought cakes as if I'd just suggested having a nice warm cup of AIDS to drink before bed.

It's unbelievably snobbish.

Of course it's very different. That's the point I was trying to make. SoS keeps saying that all cake is atomically the same, and I pointed out that you and I, a cat and a dog, a steak and fish are all "atomically" more or less the same as well in the way he (SoS) is describing it. So, that way of putting it is really totally off.

So, no, I haven't lost MY mind.
No I ****ing wasn't. I was saying all carbon is the same, that's all. You can claim a superior variety of butter or whatever, but deep down it's all hydrocarbons.

Jesus, if we could power cars with your sense of superiority, we'd solve the oil crisis tomorrow.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Oooh oooh Im an epicurean
Old Jul 6th 2016, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robin1234

No way. No. Just- no

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.