Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Getting tired of the USA

Getting tired of the USA

Old Jun 30th 2016, 9:56 am
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting tired of the USA

Originally Posted by rocketronn
OP for some people the USA definitely has a shelf life.
I know 3 people that left after 7, 9 & 25 years and never went back.
If you were in another country it would just be a bunch of annoying americans, but because you are swamped & surrounded by them it becomes normal albeit a constant source of irritation.
Globally they are not liked, quite often you will hear them described as "ugly", repugnant, arrogant etc. but don't expect a receptive audience in here because after all this is a trailer park,usa forum.
On the contrary, this being a bunch of ex pats, talking down America is the done thing, sticking up for America and Americans is frowned upon. God forbid you say you like guacamole or bbq food or baseball, everything in America sticks according to many on this forum

You're a bigot, btw
Old Jun 30th 2016, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
America is the seat of power in the world and along with that occurs a lot noise. One has to learn to ignore the noise.

Originally Posted by katzgar
Probably be cheaper in the long run to seek professional help
Originally Posted by themadpooper
No idea why anyone would choose to move to America, or indeed remain here if they had a problem with Americans - or guns for that matter. Amazes me how many stories I read on this forum of people not liking these things. Religion, too, is another often thrown into the mix. Who knew so many people who probably view themselves as super tolerant had so many prejudices. Perhaps it's an expat/foreigner thing and perhaps because so many come here for the wrong reasons in the first place, I shouldn't judge. I mean, I came here 10 years ago because I wanted to. My USC wife wanted to come back but we didn't have to, I liked America and Americans even before I met her so it was a no brainier. Maybe, if I couldn't have imagined going a day without the BBC and a cup of tea every 5 minutes, queuing up for no apparent reason and whinging for the 100th time that week about the weather, and I was having to follow a spouse over here because their work dictated it, I'd be as equally resentful of this country
And this is why I am bowing out from this site, time to leave.

I gave my opinion. I am not anti American. I expressed how I have seen changes and how I don't see the country I have enjoyed over the last 2 decades being the way I enjoyed it.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 12:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Only 40% of Americans even own a gun ....
That is true, but I suspect that the turnout for elections is considerably higher among the gun-owning population than it is for the general public.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 12:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Can you support that with any evidence
Do you know what "suspect" means? I choose my words very carefully.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 12:49 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

...getting all sideways over gun ownership is just suggesting somebody is sitting in front of the damn TV too much and needs to get out and have a life
I recognise all the individual words but can make no sense at all of them in the order provided
Old Jun 30th 2016, 1:37 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Pretty much. Sick of reading this shit all over the forum to be honest.

Think I'm done.

Last edited by Nutek; Jun 30th 2016 at 1:48 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek

Think I'm done.
There's not much fun at the moment, that's for sure - lots of threads arguing about Brexit, and in the US forums about the coming election, guns, and laws that some people are offended about. I have withdrawn from all those topics (occasionally I sneak a peak in the Brexit threads, but then wish I hadn't ), but that doesn't leave many active threads.

Maybe all the US forum's political threads, political in broad sense (elections, guns, toilets, etc.) could be moved to a US TIO-style subforum. Any thoughts for a name for it? I'll open the suggestions with "The OK Corral".
Old Jun 30th 2016, 2:10 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek

Think I'm done.
If the blatantly nasty posting -- including the name calling that is supposed to be against site rules -- that is becoming the norm is permitted to continue, I think a lot of people are going to be done.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
If the blatantly nasty posting -- including the name calling that is supposed to be against site rules -- that is becoming the norm is permitted to continue, I think a lot of people are going to be done.
Yes, it seems Site Rule #4 is not being applied much at all. There have been quite a few trolls around now for quite some time.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 2:17 pm

Making assertions without any proof or evidence doesn't help either
I think I am allowed to have an opinion.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Yes, it seems Site Rule #4 is not being applied much at all. There have been quite a few trolls around now for quite some time.
At the risk of breaching Rule #15, I have given up complaining about abusive posts, against others as well as me. There are some people (three or four spring to mind), who drag everything down, and resort frequently to raw insults, not just a difference of opinion, or even "doubting someone's intellect", but the sort of insult that most people grew out of when they stopped being teenagers.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 2:29 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There's not much fun at the moment, that's for sure - lots of threads arguing about Brexit, and in the US forums about the coming election, guns, and laws that some people are offended about. I have withdrawn from all those topics (occasionally I sneak a peak in the Brexit threads, but then wish I hadn't ), but that doesn't leave many active threads.

Maybe all the US forum's political threads, political in broad sense (elections, guns, toilets, etc.) could be moved to a US TIO-style subforum. Any thoughts for a name for it? I'll open the suggestions with "The OK Corral".
It's fashionable to hate everything now. And if you don't hate it, either you like it because it's the opposite of what you hate, or you haven't yet made up an excuse to hate it.

Maybe I live in some sort of bubble, but I sure don't sense those same sentiments in either of my haunts. Yes, there's always somebody somewhere unhappy about something (often for good reason), but the collective hatred and intolerance expressed so often, especially by many Brits and Americans, is not the general feeling here on the continent. Some of it may be apathy, but I've come to suspect it's more a result of how a culture views life in general.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously not. If you give your opinion then you are told you need help or you are ridiculed.

I've been here a long time, they have been some great posters over the years but it's time I left the building.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 2:43 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

You are definitely allowed to have an opinion.

At least, that's my opinion, which I may or may not be allowed to have.

Things get confusing...everything seems to have to be binary for some posters, but life just isn't like that.
Old Jun 30th 2016, 2:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Have you reported the posts? I've not seen any reported posts, and unless people do take the time to give the mods a heads up, we just won't be aware of what's going on - we simply can't read every thread.

I've only skimmed the last page or so of this thread, if there are posts in it that you feel break site rules then just report them and then the mods/supermods/admin can take a look and take any action necessary.

Thx.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.