Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Getting a bank account!!!!

Getting a bank account!!!!

Old Sep 27th 2009, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice
Default Re: Getting a bank account!!!!

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I have posted this a few times on here, but happy to do so again.

Just go into Lloyds TSB. They gave me one after only being in the country 2 weeks and also told me to bring my Kiwi husband in when he got his spouse visa, which I did and he now has one too. As long as you have no previous bad credit rating and can show an address you are now living at theres no problem. We have debit cards and cheque books etc. But i think you have to wait 6mths before you get a credit card, but we havent bothered with one yet. As you can use your debit card in the same way you use a credit card i cant see the point of one unless you need to borrow money!
Will definitely use them - doesn't seem to be that difficult at all if the info here is anything to go by

http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_acc..._to_the_uk.asp
Old Sep 27th 2009, 4:53 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patzy
Will definitely use them - doesn't seem to be that difficult at all if the info here is anything to go by

http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_acc..._to_the_uk.asp
No its not difficult at all. We were in and out in 10 minutes both with a bank account!

To boost your credit rating in the UK for the future, I also suggest getting a Next catalogue account which they gave me after only being back here 2mths! I just bought a few items which i could easily have paid off straight away but made sure i did it in 3 motnhly payments to accrue a credit account. This also allowed me an increased credit limit and now i just hang onto the account for when i get a permanent home.
Also try getting a 3 mobile broadband dongle account. I needed a new laptop as mine was stolen 2mths before i left Australia. I paid £200 upfront towards the laptop tied in with the dongle account. After a couple of months they were begging me to take out a phone contract which does great things for your credit rating.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Patzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nicePatzy is just really nice

No its not difficult at all. We were in and out in 10 minutes both with a bank account!

To boost your credit rating in the UK for the future, I also suggest getting a Next catalogue account which they gave me after only being back here 2mths! I just bought a few items which i could easily have paid off straight away but made sure i did it in 3 motnhly payments to accrue a credit account. This also allowed me an increased credit limit and now i just hang onto the account for when i get a permanent home.
Also try getting a 3 mobile broadband dongle account. I needed a new laptop as mine was stolen 2mths before i left Australia. I paid £200 upfront towards the laptop tied in with the dongle account. After a couple of months they were begging me to take out a phone contract which does great things for your credit rating.
Thanks for this - also, which I think has been mentioned before, Lloyds TSB has good international banking options particularly if you are living in US - you can open account in US dollars, euros or sterling.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Cherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Quokka
Try Barclays. I just opened one there no problem, considering I live in Aus.
I just looked into this and can't open one without a deposit of $50,000
I just want to open a account to move money into for when I leave here ( Jan)
How did you do it..
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

When I moved back 5 years ago I had an awful time getting a bank account open. I had of course shut everything down being that I had been away for a number of years and thinking that I would not return.

Although I had a contract to start my new job and a rental agreement for a property I was about to move into I was told because I had no credit rating, no utility bill and was no longer on the electoral role that they could not open an account for me anywhere. I spent probably the best part of 2 weeks going from one bank to another with 2 young children in tow being told the same story. Then HSBC said they would, when I turned up they then told me they could only open one up if I was a foreigner coming to the UK to work. Thank god I had my other passport with me and used that instead otherwise I don't know what I would have done.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:49 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Just go into Lloyds TSB.
When I came back last year, I tried HSBC first and was told they couldn't help me, so I went to Lloyds and had absolutely no problem -- for account w/debit card and 500 pounds overdraft. I recently got a credit card and a loan through them -- though I got the loan from them because everywhere else I looked at online wanted UK address for 3 years.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

pintofbitter is an unknown quantity at this point

Lloyds TSB have been amazing. Walked into a branch and came away with a current account and savings account in less than half an hour. Why other banks can't be like that, I don't know.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 3:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=22395.0

Additionally, the British Bankers' Association has published a document for new arrivals wishing to open an account. It can be found at: http://www.bba.org.uk/content/1/c4/3...eaflet2004.pdf

There is an important paragraph at the end of the document that says:

If you have followed the advice in this leaflet and
you are still finding it difficult to open an account
with a bank in the UK, you may find it useful to
talk to the Branch Manager of the bank you have
visited.

This is quite important because, as a few bankers have said, some of these people opening accounts don't always fully understand the documents required for opening accounts. If in doubt, always ask for someone more senior.