Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Funny licence plates

Funny licence plates

Old Jul 17th 2011, 3:06 am
Just Joined

Desmodronic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Funny licence plates

The original post on this topic was what brought me to this site , so I joined.

I am the owner of the New York BOLLOKS plate. It cost me about 43 bucks.As other posters have said you go on your state DMV site and they have a page for this.You put in what you want and if it is available and allowed you get it.

First off I put in BOLLOCKS but someone has that in NY allready, I later found out that its on a commercial vehical in Manhattan. And funnily enough, the guy is Welsh , just like me.

I put the BOLLOKS spelling in and got it.

When you apply you have to say what it means, I didnt lie, I said it was an English word for nut.

I have also seen BOLLIX 1 BOLLIX 2 and BOLLIX 3 on three commercial trucks owned by an Irish construction company. All issued by NY state.

I think its a combination of British humour and the fact that back home you have to be creative to form a cherished plate out of letters and numbers, or pay a fortune to buy someone elses.

NY just changed over to these ghastly yellow plates which I think are for the red light cameras that are popping up every where now. If you own a vanity plate you dont have to replace the plate when you reregister, so the one advantage is that I get to keep the old blue and white ones which actually look better on my car.

One word of warning, going on the DMV site and seeing what you can get and cant get can get addictive. Just to see what you can get away with. The restrictions differ from state to state. Here in NY you cant get anything that has FU, 53X, 8L0W, C11NT etc etc.............But you can get WANKER ( still available last time I looked ) 4FOXSAKE , 80L W0J8 and X32 JARO......Those last two can only be seen in the rear view of the car in front which is subtle but sorta defeats the object.

Ive heard though that if someone makes a complaint about a plate then the DMV can revoke a plate. The different combinations of BOLLOCKS seem to be pretty popular amongst the 7 and 8 letter state plates but I think that as the yanks dont really know the word it isnt that much of an issue.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 12:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funny licence plates

Originally Posted by Desmodronic
NY just changed over to these ghastly yellow plates which I think are for the red light cameras that are popping up every where now. If you own a vanity plate you dont have to replace the plate when you reregister, so the one advantage is that I get to keep the old blue and white ones which actually look better on my car.

Just to put it in historical perspective, the new yellow NY plates are a return to the plates that were current in the 60s, 70s and 80s.. almost identical, except that the new plates say "Empire State" and the old ones just had "New York."

Last time I reregistered I had the option of keeping the old white plates or switching to the new yellow ones... but maybe next time I'll have to switch? (I like my plates but they don't say anything special either directly or read in the mirror..)
Old Jul 17th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...license-plates...

Old Jul 17th 2011, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is, smutty words on license plates aren't 'funny' though. Childish and banal, perhaps - funny, no.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 3:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The original post on this topic was what brought me to this site , so I joined.

I am the owner of the New York BOLLOKS plate. It cost me about 43 bucks.As other posters have said you go on your state DMV site and they have a page for this.You put in what you want and if it is available and allowed you get it.

First off I put in BOLLOCKS but someone has that in NY allready, I later found out that its on a commercial vehical in Manhattan. And funnily enough, the guy is Welsh , just like me.

I put the BOLLOKS spelling in and got it.

When you apply you have to say what it means, I didnt lie, I said it was an English word for nut.

I have also seen BOLLIX 1 BOLLIX 2 and BOLLIX 3 on three commercial trucks owned by an Irish construction company. All issued by NY state.

I think its a combination of British humour and the fact that back home you have to be creative to form a cherished plate out of letters and numbers, or pay a fortune to buy someone elses.

One word of warning, going on the DMV site and seeing what you can get and cant get can get addictive. Just to see what you can get away with. The restrictions differ from state to state. Here in NY you cant get anything that has FU, 53X, 8L0W, C11NT etc etc.............But you can get WANKER ( still available last time I looked ) 4FOXSAKE , 80L W0J8 and X32 JARO......Those last two can only be seen in the rear view of the car in front which is subtle but sorta defeats the object.

Ive heard though that if someone makes a complaint about a plate then the DMV can revoke a plate. The different combinations of BOLLOCKS seem to be pretty popular amongst the 7 and 8 letter state plates but I think that as the yanks dont really know the word it isnt that much of an issue.
Hi and welcome to the site.

One of our members who used to live in NYS had the plate WANKER...or it could have been UWANKER...something like that.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
The thing is, smutty words on license plates aren't 'funny' though. Childish and banal, perhaps - funny, no.
Is, too :raspberry:
Old Jul 17th 2011, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

Generally agree with your comment about smutty words. However should the day ever arrive when I can afford to buy the Jaguar I drool over I intend to have "CHUFFED" on my plate. One can dream............
Old Jul 17th 2011, 5:36 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw MSNTHOP not so long ago. Probably fitting for a few around here...
Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget, most states have provisions to rescind plates if they receive a complaint.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Desmodronic is an unknown quantity at this point

Well in my opinion what is offensive to some is non offensive to others. For starters 99% of people who live here have to ask what my plate means. A plate reading MUSLIM or GODISGUD may offend someone. And define offended, you see my plate and what exactly happens to you, do you start convulsing wildly and get angry because of the wording on the plate?If we start banning everything that may offend a minority is not very fair on the majority that are not offended. Look how the BBC react because of one complaint about a show watched by a few million.And half the time you'd be hard pressed to find what exactly was offensive.I find some perfume effects my allergies, is that a good enough reason to complain and make a big stink?In this day and age there are more important things to complain and direct anger at than the wording on what is in effect a perfectly legal licence plate. And I believe I create more grins than scowls.When a sense a humor is not your thing then why should you make every one else miserable?
Some people would religiously watch a show that they know will offend them just so they could have something to complain about.
Personally. Those are the types that have a problem

Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

And define offended, you see my plate and what exactly happens to you, do you start convulsing wildly and get angry because of the wording on the plate?
Hell that happens to some people just because they see this sticker in my rear window:

<-----
Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Well in my opinion what is offensive to some is non offensive to others. For starters 99% of people who live here have to ask what my plate means. A plate reading MUSLIM or GODISGUD may offend someone. And define offended, you see my plate and what exactly happens to you, do you start convulsing wildly and get angry because of the wording on the plate?If we start banning everything that may offend a minority is not very fair on the majority that are not offended. Look how the BBC react because of one complaint about a show watched by a few million.And half the time you'd be hard pressed to find what exactly was offensive.I find some perfume effects my allergies, is that a good enough reason to complain and make a big stink?In this day and age there are more important things to complain and direct anger at than the wording on what is in effect a perfectly legal licence plate. And I believe I create more grins than scowls.When a sense a humor is not your thing then why should you make every one else miserable?
Some people would religiously watch a show that they know will offend them just so they could have something to complain about.

Never underestimate those who wield power to be utterly lacking in the humor gene:

http://jalopnik.com/5724684/virginia...-license-plate

http://jalopnik.com/5805965/virginia...ng-sex-pervert
Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they are

"KLUNGE" is still the best one though

One thing that's annoying about MA, anyone who has the old plates with green lettering don't need to have front plates, but anyone with the newer red lettering does...meh.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, it's all about context and the type of plate, what was the one in Ohio that was something to do with helping hands, a kids charity and someone had a fairy lame plate, but because of the text on the plate became a bit rude
Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, it's all about context and the type of plate, what was the one in Ohio that was something to do with helping hands, a kids charity and someone had a fairy lame plate, but because of the text on the plate became a bit rude
This one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.