Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Frivolous things I don't understand

Frivolous things I don't understand

Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:32 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frivolous things I don't understand

Originally Posted by Pica
You surely are joking!!!? People eat dolphins?
Oh yeah, we just love flipper, preferrably with a slice of skippy too.

Its the local name for what you call mahi mahi.

To be fair, most of the islands have some people that will eat one of the dolphin types, not sure which, but they are definitely not short on numbers. Dont get all human about it, its a fish...

We also [not personally] eat manicou [possum] tatou [armadillo] iguana and some of the turtles [not leatherback, endangered, also far too big.]

Turtles ok, had it about 20 years ago, the rest, nope, i tried and passed... Some also eat the mona monkeys, i prefer to see them alive, they are protected too.

Last edited by uk_grenada; Sep 21st 2017 at 8:37 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:40 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Deep fried cheese curds are the food of the gods. We're not usually actually in Madison, usually we're passing through on the way to points north or west. Maybe next time we're at the House on the Rock we'll stop off for some dinner on the way back.
Try a breaded deep fried camenbert, or the french cheese made for melting - raclette. Also aged gouda makes awesome melted cheese on toast.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Oh yeah, we just love flipper, preferrably with a slice of skippy too.

Its the local name for what you call mahi mahi.

To be fair, most of the islands have some people that will eat one of the dolphin types, not sure which, but they are definitely not short on numbers. Dont get all human about it, its a fish...

We also [not personally] eat manicou [possum] tatou [armadillo] iguana and some of the turtles [not leatherback, endangered, also far too big.]

Turtles ok, had it about 20 years ago, the rest, nope, i tried and passed... Some also eat the mona monkeys, i prefer to see them alive, they are protected too.
Dolphins are not fish.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Deep fried cheese curds are the food of the gods. We're not usually actually in Madison, usually we're passing through on the way to points north or west. Maybe next time we're at the House on the Rock we'll stop off for some dinner on the way back.
If you want the exact ones I sampled and loved, the place is called Graze. Right by the capitol building in downtown Madison. The Mac n Cheese pizza is nearby too!

Also, not sure if you've been yet, but I'd recommend HopCat. Awesome beers, and some strange ones (bacon beer, anyone?). But the creme de la creme, is the crack fries. But a word of warning - you won't be able to eat just one portion, you'll want more.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 9:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Try a breaded deep fried camenbert, or the french cheese made for melting - raclette. Also aged gouda makes awesome melted cheese on toast.
That all sounds great.

I have heard that gouda is a good melting cheese. Though there is something to be said for a nice mature (English) cheddar on toast with a bit of Worcestershire sauce. Mmmmmm.

Originally Posted by Maste
If you want the exact ones I sampled and loved, the place is called Graze. Right by the capitol building in downtown Madison. The Mac n Cheese pizza is nearby too!

Also, not sure if you've been yet, but I'd recommend HopCat. Awesome beers, and some strange ones (bacon beer, anyone?). But the creme de la creme, is the crack fries. But a word of warning - you won't be able to eat just one portion, you'll want more.
Duly noted. Though again, the next time we're heading that way we will be whizzing by Madison on 90 as we're heading for another destination to the north.

I haven't been to HopCat yet, either. We're not in the city that often, we're way up by the WI state line. There's a Metra station a mile from my house, but usually when we do go to Chicago it's for a concert, or to go to a museum or something and we're in and out pretty quickly. Except when I go to the yard there for work, but that's off of Cicero, so I don't hang around too long there.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 9:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste

I couldn't resist finding out what crack fries are. Sound delish.

America's 10 Best French Fries : Food Network | Restaurants : Food Network | Food Network
Old Sep 21st 2017, 9:08 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Dolphins are not fish.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 9:26 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Pica
You surely are joking!!!? People eat dolphins?
People still eat whales too.

----- will eat one of the dolphin types, not sure which, but they are definitely not short on numbers. Dont get all human about it, its a fish...
A dolphin is not a fish. Neither is a whale.
Both are cetaceans & are mammals.
They are highly intelligent social animals . They are self-aware .
They are far more complex than us. We could learn a lot from them .

For anyone interested. Himself and me are trained marine medics. That means that if there is a stranding or a cetacean/pod is in trouble in our area we will help with a rescue.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 9:37 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
People still eat whales too.

A dolphin is not a fish. Neither is a whale.
Both are cetaceans & are mammals.
They are highly intelligent social animals . They are self-aware .
They are far more complex than us. We could learn a lot from them .

For anyone interested. Himself and me are trained marine medics. That means that if there is a stranding or a cetacean/pod is in trouble in our area we will help with a rescue.
A dolphin is far more complex than a human? What in terms of breathing? Please don't say you think it's intelligence is anywhere near a human's.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 10:14 pm
`

I suppose it depends how one views intelligence.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 10:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I suppose it depends how one views intelligence.
Or humans
Old Sep 21st 2017, 10:42 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Dolphins are not fish.
The Dolphin Fish is a fish.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 10:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by caretaker
The Dolphin Fish is a fish.
Uk_grenada didn't say Dolphin Fish...he said dolphin.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 11:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Uk_grenada didn't say Dolphin Fish...he said dolphin.
He said "Its the local name for what you call mahi mahi."
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 12:02 am
`

Originally Posted by caretaker
He said "Its the local name for what you call mahi mahi."
In which case he referred to a fish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.