Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Frivolous things I don't understand

Frivolous things I don't understand

Old Sep 21st 2017, 3:46 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frivolous things I don't understand

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Are you saying that you definitely don't get the same oils as the US? We get semi and fully synthetic oils too, "labeled as such", but the legal definition of what can be sold as "fully synthetic" is flawed.
As shard said, we should really be talking about nice [black?] olive or whatever edible oil, but yes, we dont have any issues with labelling or understanding what goes where AND how often.

I could think of something more contentious even... Ever looked at the difference between anti freezes? Toyota and some other makers use long life organic acid tech antifreeze 'OAT' standard. In europe the first oat anti freezes were all a zingy pink colour deliberately because, not only do they not mix with the older blue/green stuff, but together they make an instant sludge or porridge that screws up cooling and therefore the engine... After a few disasters the laws mandated the colour, but then i went to the caribbean and discovered american manufacturers dont stick to the colours, and in murica its still possible to screw up. Fortunately if you flush out the cooling system a few times with just water, you can convert to OAT and that is worthwhile as it has a much longer life, but JEEZ - WHY MURICA - oh - thats another thread...
Old Sep 21st 2017, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
If a Chicago native gives it the thumbs up, it's good pizza

I'll check out the BBQ chicken next time I'm ordering from Pizza Hut.
I figured as much, since she has taken me for the best pizzas I've ever had (Lou Malnati's and Giordano's anyone?).

Pizza hut allow you to design your own pizza, I prefer to make it a hunters chicken style pizza (chicken, bacon and bbq sauce) instead of their generic chicken and onion with bbq sauce one. Much better
Old Sep 21st 2017, 3:51 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the 1980s I had a weekend job in a hotel in Scotland which used to get coach tours of American and Canadian middle-aged tourists.

One day one of them (it was Canadian, you could tell by the clothes) asked me, "Say, what kinda oil are the fries cooked in?"

I had no idea there were even options, so I went into the kitchen and asked the chef. "Hey, there's a customer out there who wants to know what kind of oil the chips are cooked in."

Now, to be fair, the chef at this hotel wasn't exactly trained by Escoffier, and he looked blankly at me too. Eventually he went and checked the big tins, told me the answer which I duly relayed to the customer...

"Cooking oil."

Simpler days.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 4:05 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

"Waiter, can you tell me how you prepare your chickens?"
"Nothing special, we just tell them they're going to die."

Last edited by caretaker; Sep 21st 2017 at 4:35 pm. Reason: schpelling
Old Sep 21st 2017, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I hope they are dressed chickens
Old Sep 21st 2017, 4:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
None of you hosers north of the border have run into a Poutine pizza, then?
The closest I've come to poutine was last Sunday...Lays new flavored crisps are poutine.

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
I could make it to Jersey. Where is this?? (Drooling face emoticon)
I am now living in Toronto.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The grade of oil specified by Toyota (5w30, 10w30, etc), and you can't do better than using the Mobil 1 "full synthetic" brand of that grade IMO. All the other leading brands of oil are selling oil that is not full synthetic but marketing it as "full synthetic", which thanks to an idiot judge, in Chicago IIRC, is legal!
I think they quote 0w20 for hybrid models, I know Nissan does and they use a Toyota drive. Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Case-Quarts-T...+synthetic+oil
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

"Bacon is just not right" is not an argument that you're going to win around here! ... Unless you're talking about bacon in the US, which really is "just not right".

I like proscuitto, and salami, and buy both frequently, but Canadian bacon is just disappointing.
😊 proper bacon belongs between 2 hearty slices of fresh white bread- condiments of your choosing
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:49 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
😊 proper bacon belongs between 2 hearty slices of fresh white bread- condiments of your choosing
That will not stand, ketchup only , brown sauce is the work of the devil. (😅) But murica does blotting paper bread just like the uk, but a bulletproof baguette makes an interesting change...
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pica
Originally Posted by uk_grenada
That will not stand, ketchup only , brown sauce is the work of the devil. (😅)
No, no, no, no, no...a British bacon sarnie doesn't need anything on it but more bacon.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No, no, no, no, no...a British bacon sarnie doesn't need anything on it but more bacon.
Always more bacon, I could be persuaded lurpak butter too. Personally I also favour the bottom bread toasted (fried even very occasionally) but the top bread au naturel...
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Really made me laugh. Karma.
Grazie! Like peanut M n M's bought mistakenly for the chocolate ones- suck off the coating & throwthe nuts into the garden for the birds
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Hearty healthy of butter on either slices of bread, with more bacon than needed. That dripping, warm buttery bacon taste is beautiful.
Old Sep 21st 2017, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maste
I figured as much, since she has taken me for the best pizzas I've ever had (Lou Malnati's and Giordano's anyone?).

Pizza hut allow you to design your own pizza, I prefer to make it a hunters chicken style pizza (chicken, bacon and bbq sauce) instead of their generic chicken and onion with bbq sauce one. Much better
That's not pizza it's an open bbq chicken sandwich 😂
Old Sep 21st 2017, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by caretaker
do they get last rites? I heard a chicken die this morning- made me feel sad til I imagined it roasting in Anna Maria's wood fired outdoor oven

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.