British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Free movment between UK, NZ, Aus, and Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/free-movment-between-uk-nz-aus-canada-867632/)

kimilseung Nov 6th 2015 11:57 pm

Free movment between UK, NZ, Aus, and Canada?

Free movement between Canada, UK, New Zealand and Australia.

Skinner, who is the founder and executive director of the Commonwealth Freedom of Movement Organization, is calling on politicians in Canada, the U.K., Australia and New Zealand to loosen restrictions on visas and work permits between the four countries. He says citizens within the European Union can work and reside indefinitely in each of the 28 member states, and a similar policy occurs between Australia and New Zealand. There's no reason why something similar can't happen between Canada, the U.K., Australia and New Zealand, he argued. "We've had that Commonwealth tie for generations and decades in the past, we've stuck together through thick and thin, [we] share the same head of state, the same native language, the same respect for the common law," he said.
About Us ~ The Commonwealth Freedom of Movement Organisation

He talks about the Commonwealth, but the countries discussed are not all the countries of the Commonwealth Realms (PNG, Belize, Jamaica not included), never mind the Commonwealth of Nations.(Cameroon, India, Kenya amongst those ignored). Am I alone in thinking that it is a step backwards to have our immigration policies dictated by countries being highly white? Which is what I suspect is the motivator here.

BritInParis Nov 7th 2015 12:00 am

Re: Free movment between UK, NZ, Aus, and Canada?

More to do with how rich and stable those nations are relative to the rest of the Commonwealth.

Pulaski Nov 7th 2015 2:17 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11788257)
More to do with how rich and stable those nations are relative to the rest of the Commonwealth.

And therefore that there is unlikely to be massive tidal flows into any one country, i.e. that flows will substantially net off against each other.

RoadWarriorFromLP Nov 7th 2015 3:09 pm

Mr Skinner founded the organisation after his own experience moving from the UK to Melbourne, Australia, where he encountered difficulties establishing permanent residency.

He ultimately ended up in Vancouver, Canada, but he does not hold permanent residency.
'Commonwealth' movement petition gains 35,000 backers - BBC News
It seems to be somewhat personal. The founder of the group encountered immigration issues that were a PITA for him, and he's focusing on the places that most interest him.
A proposal that was open to all of the Commonwealth nations would never fly because of fears of mass immigration from poorer countries. Something more narrow such as this might have better odds of winning approval.

not2old Nov 7th 2015 6:36 pm

I'd like to see this die quickly & likely its never going to happen & why should it?

Seems the founder indeed has something up his 'whatever' doing this

https://ca.linkedin.com/in/jrskinner

kimilseung Nov 7th 2015 6:46 pm

As has been pointed out the four countries in question are socially and economically stable. If the four were just added to a list of free movement, I do not think I would bat an eye lid. I have been trying to work out what gets under my skin about it, at the moment I think it must be the appropriation, and reduction in its meaning, of the word Commonwealth, to fit his goal.

RoadWarriorFromLP Nov 7th 2015 7:02 pm

It could be pitched as a sort of logical extension of the working holiday visa program.

BritInParis Nov 7th 2015 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11788310)
And therefore that there is unlikely to be massive tidal flows into any one country, i.e. that flows will substantially net off against each other.

Indeed. If the UK was to cut its ties with Europe completely in terms of freedom of movement then it would make more sense to have a Common Travel Area made up of the Five Eyes countries minus the USA. If you wanted to include the USA then the freedom of movement needn't even be absolute, for instance implementing something akin to the US E-3 visa for all the countries involved.

Steve_ Nov 13th 2015 9:11 pm

I think it's a bad idea and it will never happen.

There's no way Canada is going to give preferential treatment to that degree to British citizens, Québec would go bonkers.

NZ and Australia already have a free movement agreement and the UK will never do it because it's grasping at any straw to offset inward migration from the EU.

I mean, there is free movement in the EEA and in Australia/NZ and Canada and the US will probably never follow suit because Americans are paranoid about immigration and Canada is worried about a brain drain to the US.