Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Freaked out by some High School activities

Freaked out by some High School activities

Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freaked out by some High School activities

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I went to school in Camberley in Surrey. This girl (who I hung out with often) stabbed someone in the bathroom at school and locked my French teacher in a closet.

When they questioned her further... more info came out

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/i-...s-1275032.html

Yep, I can pretty much beat anyone's scary high school story
I went to a pretty decent highschool too in a decent area...

one kid stabbed another in the face over nothing and another occasion someone stiffed a drug dealer so he came to the school to get the kid and beat up a teacher in the way, I say beat up, pushed him over and the guy broke his arm but he was one of the nicest guys ever that the PE teacher who was coming by opened up the baseball bat bag to let the kids get stuck in...was the funniest thing I think I've ever seen, a group of hard dealers getting seven bells of shit beaten out of them on school property with all the teachers looking the other way

On the plus side, our leaving party, we were allowed booze, everyone got a free glass of wine or a pint of beer and everyone got shit faced in a huge marquee on the rugby field.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
How do you know? Are you back in the UK? Still living in the old neighborhood? Still friends with the school staff with insider information?

You are probably old enough to have been out of high school for at least 10 years and not 14 for at least 16 years or more so how can you be so sure?

Hell, I'm 62 and there were girls in my HS class who got pregnant back in the 60's.

Remember one thing that situations like this were not publicized back in our days. Newspapers did not spread the word on teenage indiscretions and that was what pregnancy was back then. Drug use and heavy drinking has always been a right of passage for most teenagers. For my age group it was marijuana and beer. Today's kids use different recreational drugs and hard liquor. Nothing has changed under the sun or stars.
I still have friends in the same town. And it's a town where everyone knows everything about what goes on.

I've only been out of "high-school" for 10 years. We did have one teenage pregnancy at 16, that girl left IIRC for a special school.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 3:01 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I went to a pretty decent highschool too in a decent area...

one kid stabbed another in the face over nothing and another occasion someone stiffed a drug dealer so he came to the school to get the kid and beat up a teacher in the way, I say beat up, pushed him over and the guy broke his arm but he was one of the nicest guys ever that the PE teacher who was coming by opened up the baseball bat bag to let the kids get stuck in...was the funniest thing I think I've ever seen, a group of hard dealers getting seven bells of shit beaten out of them on school property with all the teachers looking the other way

On the plus side, our leaving party, we were allowed booze, everyone got a free glass of wine or a pint of beer and everyone got shit faced in a huge marquee on the rugby field.
I love that image of a group of schoolchildren going to town on some hardnuts with baseball bats.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom60
No, that was her. I googled Sharon Carr and found a site that talked about the crime, which was as bad as one of the Manson killings. The crime was 18 years ago, so she's older in this picture. She kept a diary detailing her state of mind, and she had done things like decapitating a neighbor's dog, and frying some hamsters alive.
Like I said, I actually went to school with Sharon Carr.

That picture is of Katie Rackliff, the girl she killed. Was in all the papers at the time, particularly the local ones in my town for obvious reasons.

Also, while I know strange things happen with age, Sharon Carr was black last time I saw her...

One of Sharon's close "friends" at my school made a pretty penny by selling her story to the tabloids at the time

Last edited by hobbes79; Jan 30th 2010 at 12:47 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, while I know strange things happen with age, Sharon Carr was black last time I saw her...
I guess I misread the article (obviously).
Old Jan 30th 2010, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

My senior school ('s) in the UK were pretty 'quiet' compared to some of your guys ones, I think the worst thing that happened was bullying and it wasn't all that prevelant. Although it was over 30 years ago

I have family/friends with kids in the UK schools now and they paint a very different picture, I know I wouldn't want to be a kid in school these days!

A friend in WI was telling me that her daughter got caught in school last week, wasted on booze and drugs, the daughter denied taking the drugs apparently she got a 'smoke high' from being in the same room, she ended up in the ER because she has very bad asthma and had a severe attack This was a girl (15) that was supposedly a really good kid, no previous issues, but she had got into a bad crowd

Peer pressure is a bugger and sometimes I think it's tougher for girls, her Mom is moving back to IL in the Summer to get her kids away from the school in WI. It's not easy for anyone nowadays
Old Jan 30th 2010, 3:12 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My UK school was pretty calm and nice, but there was always one pregnant girl in the senior year it seemed. Plus the well off kids were the ones with drug access. This was the 70's
My two boys have been through High school here in US, oldest graduated 4 years back, drugs were available for anyone who wanted, he didn't (thank god) and neither has the 16 year old so far
Each of them knows girls that have become pregnant over the years, and there was one or two in each of their 8th grade class before heading to high school (so age 14 or so) For such a small area we have three continuation high schools where they dump all the pregnant, druggie, criminal types. So the high school looks quite good on paper.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I don't think it happens on the same scale anywhere else to be honest.

In my local high school, in a middle class neighbourhood, they've found 14 year-olds having sex in the bathrooms. Nothing like that ever happened in my high-school, and still doesn't.
At my UK high school, in the 1980s, pretty much every girl had sex by 14 - many were pregnant at 15. If you didn't take drugs or get involved in fights, drinking and vandalism then you were weird.

Doesn't sound like it's changed much. One girl was recently bullied until she committed suicide. The drama teacher has recently been jailed for stabbing her boyfriend.

Lovely place.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 11:31 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Jesusgod.

Not having any is working out pretty good for me.
Pluswhun!

Although my niece is at a good private school in Portland, Ore., and she reports drugs and sex being endemic, most especially among the kids from wealthier families...

Last edited by nettlebed; Jan 31st 2010 at 11:33 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:29 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Pluswhun!

Although my niece is at a good private school in Portland, Ore., and she reports drugs and sex being endemic, most especially among the kids from wealthier families...
Those kids killed one of my cats you know.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:31 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
The drama teacher has recently been jailed for stabbing her boyfriend.
'Kin hell - looks like a right nutter.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
At my UK high school, in the 1980s, pretty much every girl had sex by 14 - many were pregnant at 15. If you didn't take drugs or get involved in fights, drinking and vandalism then you were weird.

Doesn't sound like it's changed much. One girl was recently bullied until she committed suicide. The drama teacher has recently been jailed for stabbing her boyfriend.

Lovely place.
You school sounds like fun...

You were in a city, right?