Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Freaked out by some High School activities

Freaked out by some High School activities

Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:33 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Freaked out by some High School activities

My son is a Freshman in what is considered to be a nice, affluent area just outside of Houston, Texas. I am really freaking out about the stories he has told me so far about the drugs and violence that is taking place in his school everyday. Now, I can get carried away with sensationalism like the best of them BUT these are stories that I am now getting first hand accounts of and they're freaking me out!!!

In his school the other day a fellow freshman was locked in a restroom by five other kids who beat the crap out of him because he had accidentally bumped into one of them in a corridor. The main perpetrator had just returned to the High School from some kind of juvenile center so obviously has some kind of dodgy history, but there were four others with him who stopped rescuers (so to speak) getting into the rest room while he did his worst to the boy in question. My son was outside the restroom and heard the screams so called for security and then tried to bust his way into the rest room to rescue the boy - not really the kind of stuff, or danger, I wanted my son exposed to.

On other days, he has been in the rest rooms (obviously the place where it all happens) and he has seen kids exchanging either weed or prescription drugs like vicodin etc. He was offered a half of one the other day as the person in the rest room didn't want a whole one - thankfully he said no but I'm not naive enough to think it might not be a yes one day. He said they shut some of the rest rooms of a lunch time because they are aware this happens.

WTF is going on????? I didn't lead the most sheltered of upbringings but this is truly freaking me out!! Anyone around who can slap me around the face and stop the hysteria with some wise words.....................
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:49 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freaked out by some High School activities

God I miss high school.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukintexas
WTF is going on????? I didn't lead the most sheltered of upbringings but this is truly freaking me out!! Anyone around who can slap me around the face and stop the hysteria with some wise words.....................
I don't think it is unusual these days, even some private schools are having these same problems, I knew it went on in a lot of High schools, but it is even in the middle schools now (some anyway)

To be honest, I think a lot of the UK schools are having these issues too, just not so many. When we moved to TX in the early 90's they had metal detectors at the entrance to the school, the school here in our small town, just put a security system on their front door to stop undesirables walking into the school...or maybe it's to stop the kids from escaping?

Really, all we can hope (as parents) is that we gave our kids a good enough grounding and they know better than to get dragged into any of that crap!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:57 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

sorry hear that you're freaking out.

My step daughter was at a "nice" afluent school.... BMW's & mercs in teh student lot, and the hunk of junks in the teachers..

The drug situation at that school was awful - plus she spent more time trying to be popular than studying - terrible grades, bad attitude and more drama than you could shake a stick at.

she moved away with her mother and went to a school that was much rougher and far less afluent and is doing so well that she's like a differnt teenager.

The drugs are differnet, less likely to be perscription, more likely to be a bit of pot.

she's the flyer in the cheer squad and is keeping up the grades - she may actually graduate high school now where she was heading for failure at the last one.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

My son is a Freshman in what is considered to be a nice, affluent area just outside of Houston, Texas. I am really freaking out about the stories he has told me so far about the drugs and violence that is taking place in his school everyday. Now, I can get carried away with sensationalism like the best of them BUT these are stories that I am now getting first hand accounts of and they're freaking me out!!!

In his school the other day a fellow freshman was locked in a restroom by five other kids who beat the crap out of him because he had accidentally bumped into one of them in a corridor. The main perpetrator had just returned to the High School from some kind of juvenile center so obviously has some kind of dodgy history, but there were four others with him who stopped rescuers (so to speak) getting into the rest room while he did his worst to the boy in question. My son was outside the restroom and heard the screams so called for security and then tried to bust his way into the rest room to rescue the boy - not really the kind of stuff, or danger, I wanted my son exposed to.

On other days, he has been in the rest rooms (obviously the place where it all happens) and he has seen kids exchanging either weed or prescription drugs like vicodin etc. He was offered a half of one the other day as the person in the rest room didn't want a whole one - thankfully he said no but I'm not naive enough to think it might not be a yes one day. He said they shut some of the rest rooms of a lunch time because they are aware this happens.

That's American high school - drugs, sex and <whatever-the-current-music-fad>.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is doing substitute teaching at the moment and brings back many horror stories, she agrees that the drug problem is more prevelant in the schools with better off kids/parents.

I couldn't even get a can of beer when I was at school never mind getting high on any kind of drugs.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
My wife is doing substitute teaching at the moment and brings back many horror stories, she agrees that the drug problem is more prevelant in the schools with better off kids/parents.

I couldn't even get a can of beer when I was at school never mind getting high on any kind of drugs.
I heard, from a teacher, that schools in bad neighbourhoods sometimes have better behaved kids; the reasoning behind this was kids from 'bad' households get beaten to s**t when their parents find out they've been naughty.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
That's American high school - drugs, sex and <whatever-the-current-music-fad>.

Not just American high school, unfortunately. Happens in most developed countries.

Also unfortunately, it is not just HS but middle schools as well and not poor ones but the affluent ones as others have said.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

As they should.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:30 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is turning into a cross between The Breakfast Club and Dangerous Minds...

Bullying and drugs.. typical day in the life of High Schools.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rete
Not just American high school, unfortunately. Happens in most developed countries.

Also unfortunately, it is not just HS but middle schools as well and not poor ones but the affluent ones as others have said.
I don't think it happens on the same scale anywhere else to be honest.

In my local high school, in a middle class neighbourhood, they've found 14 year-olds having sex in the bathrooms. Nothing like that ever happened in my high-school, and still doesn't.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:53 pm

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

In my local high school, in a middle class neighbourhood, they've found 14 year-olds having sex in the bathrooms.
Not helping with the freaking out !!!!!!!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:57 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone seen the movie Charlie Bartlett?

Now there's an introduction to prescription drugs in schools.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not helping with the freaking out !!!!!!!
Actually to be fair, I went to school in a rather rural town. I live in a metro-area now...

Not helping you am I?
Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:00 pm

Actually to be fair, I went to school in a rather rural town. I live in a metro-area now...

Not helping you am I?
No! Stop!

You're making me laugh tho, so perhaps that's better than a slap round the face to ease the hysteria

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.