Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Fragomen's Warning to Brits Re: Pot Use in US

Fragomen's Warning to Brits Re: Pot Use in US

Old Nov 15th 2019, 11:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fragomen's Warning to Brits Re: Pot Use in US

I read this article today in Newsweek but it is also reported in The Guardian. Something for all foreign tourists, legal permanent residents and

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...being-deportedUK visitors can still be arrested and deported from the US even if they consume cannabis in states such as California and Colorado, where the drug is legal, said Charlotte Slocombe, a senior partner at Fragomen in London.Slocombe says her firm and others that deal with US immigration laws have seen a rise in cases where British holidaymakers and green card holders, working legally in the US, are being expelled or denied entry because of cannabis consumption in states where it is legal.

The article goes on to tell about foreign investors losing their entire investment in the marijuana business.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 2:59 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fragomen's Warning to Brits Re: Pot Use in US

Originally Posted by Rete
The article goes on to tell about foreign investors losing their entire investment in the marijuana business.
.... extend that to also include commercial/residential scenarios, too - not just foreign owners. Although some states may allow domestic growing of pot plants, such activity may violate lender's promissory note/deed of trust and can also trigger property seizure by lender; basis being criminal activity and can face loan fraud charges if they so should wish to pursue - especially relevant for the case of FHA VA loans.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 9:33 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I can't understand anyone who would not research the legality or otherwise of their proposed activities abroad before engaging in them, but then I also don't and have never partaken in 'wacky baccy'.... so......
Old Nov 16th 2019, 2:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

One problem is that from what the article says is banking. The proceeds cannot go into a bank that is FDIC insured as it is considered federal. So people are placing the earnings into bank vaults, etc.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 2:17 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by civilservant
I can't understand anyone who would not research the legality or otherwise of their proposed activities abroad before engaging in them, but then I also don't and have never partaken in 'wacky baccy'.... so......
I've been to Amsterdam several times and although I haven't indulged while there, I have wanted to and have smoked in my mid-20's. I did not research ramifications of buying and using marijuana in Amsterdam for a USC.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 2:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

When you fly from Canada to US now, as you queue up to go through US preclearance, there’s a sign on the wall that says something like “Do not transport marijuana to the US”, and a large bin to place your marijuana in. Of course everyone lining up is joking, where do you apply for the job to empty the bin (etc.)
Old Nov 16th 2019, 10:11 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by robin1234
When you fly from Canada to US now, as you queue up to go through US preclearance, there’s a sign on the wall that says something like “Do not transport marijuana to the US”, and a large bin to place your marijuana in. Of course everyone lining up is joking, where do you apply for the job to empty the bin (etc.)
I didn't notice a sign when I flew out of Montreal in June back to the US. Guess I wasn't really looking for it.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I didn't notice a sign when I flew out of Montreal in June back to the US. Guess I wasn't really looking for it.
Most airports also have this sign warning of crossing international borders with pot.

This is what the box looks like in Montreal at least as of last November. Say's its just before entering CATSA check point so before passengers even go through security.

https://www.mtlblog.com/news/montrea...solutely-reeks