Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Forgetting English Words

Forgetting English Words

Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:17 pm
Banned

Stirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to all
Default Forgetting English Words

Do you ever forget the English word for something? Recently I was reading a book and someone mentioned a "spanner". That sounded familiar, I thought, and turns out it is a wrench. I was once writing a letter to a brother and wanted to describe where a baby sleeps. Couldn't for the life of me remember the English word. Turns out it is cot, which has a somewhat different meaning here. Was in an English cafe once and wanted a napkin. Knew that wasn't the right word, but couldn't think of serviette. So just pointed at the pile and said I wanted one of those!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forgetting English Words

Originally Posted by Stirchley
Do you ever forget the English word for something? Recently I was reading a book and someone mentioned a "spanner". That sounded familiar, I thought, and turns out it is a wrench. I was once writing a letter to a brother and wanted to describe where a baby sleeps. Couldn't for the life of me remember the English word. Turns out it is cot, which has a somewhat different meaning here. Was in an English cafe once and wanted a napkin. Knew that wasn't the right word, but couldn't think of serviette. So just pointed at the pile and said I wanted one of those!
I can answer your question in one word....No.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:39 pm
Banned

Stirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I can answer your question in one word....No.
Gotta challenge you on this. What is the word for a store that sells sewing notions and stuff like that?
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta challenge you on this. What is the word for a store that sells sewing notions and stuff like that?
Haberdashery shop. See it's shop not store.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:46 pm
Banned

You're right. I have been here a long, long time.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:18 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

So you were born in 1890 or thereabouts ??
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:20 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I'm free!

I loved Mrs Slocomb's pussy.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:26 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I decided to fire up the Oxford English Dictionary to look up "notions." They have eleven basic meanings of the word "notion," the American "Small wares, esp. cheap, useful articles. Now chiefly: spec. haberdashery; buttons, hooks, ribbon, thread, etc." being meaning number eleven. Apparently it's been in common use in the US since the 18th century, funny that it doesn't have that meaning at all in Britain.

Now "pussy" is a funny one. I must admit I persist in using pussy as a term of endearment for a nice cat.. I can't quite bring myself to say "kitty cat."
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:31 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I'm free!

I loved Mrs Slocomb's pussy.

Originally Posted by robin1234
Now "pussy" is a funny one. I must admit I persist in using pussy as a term of endearment for a nice cat.. I can't quite bring myself to say "kitty cat."
I just say "kitten". All cats are kittens.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

I've come across what looks to me like a mistake in the Oxford English Dictionary!!!

So I look up "pussy." They have a number of definitions, the main ones being;
A cat. Freq. used as a proper or pet name.
The female genitals; the vulva or vagina

For both of these, the OED gives the same first instance of use, namely;
1699 T. D'URFEY New Songs & Ballads 7. As Fleet as my Feet Could convey me I sped; To Iohnny who many Times Pussey had fed.

Without the context, it's hard to tell which meaning of pussy this illustrates...??
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Englishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud of

I decided to fire up the Oxford English Dictionary to look up "notions." They have eleven basic meanings of the word "notion," the American "Small wares, esp. cheap, useful articles. Now chiefly: spec. haberdashery; buttons, hooks, ribbon, thread, etc." being meaning number eleven. Apparently it's been in common use in the US since the 18th century, funny that it doesn't have that meaning at all in Britain.
I also had no notion what it meant in this context.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:02 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

And yet, the more common use of 'Haberdasher' in the US is a men's clothing/accessory store.
John Helmer Haberdasher

There's just no making sense of it all.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You're right. I have been here a long, long time.

I wouldn't have used the word 'notion' in the same context you did but I knew what you meant.

So you were born in 1890 or thereabouts ??

BTW another Robin from Upstate NY introduced himself today...you've been cloned.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

chrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to all

Was in an English cafe once and wanted a napkin. Knew that wasn't the right word, but couldn't think of serviette. So just pointed at the pile and said I wanted one of those!

Napkin is British English too. I remember some programme on TV discussing class and how the 'French version' of a word is usually the less preferred. So it's napkin not serviette, loo not toilet, living room not lounge, jam not preserve, sofa not settee, lunch not dinner. (for midday food, the Frenchy dinner is correct for the evening meal, tea for this use annoys me far more than it should)

This is not a reflection or suggestion of you, it just reminded me of Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen, looking everything like someone from Louis XVI's court (long curly hair, very frilly shirt) saying that French things are bad.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:01 pm
Banned

I wouldn't have used the word 'notion' in the same context you did but I knew what you meant.
You're right, I didn't even realize that "notions" is an American word. Which goes back to the point of my thread -- I don't know what the Brit word for "notions" would be as "notions" is a perfect word!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.