Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Ford, Hyundai or Subaru?

Ford, Hyundai or Subaru?

Old Aug 20th 2018, 8:03 pm
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ford, Hyundai or Subaru?

I am at last moving across the pond at the beginning of October. Although not a priority I will eventually need to get myself a car. I am after a car as opposed to SUV or truck, as I have access to these types of vehicles. I will be buying new and have got my list down to Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata or Subaru Legacy.

Has anyone out there in BE world had any experience of these vehicles?

I have almost made my mind up, but some experiences good or bad would be useful.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ford, Hyundai or Subaru?

Subraru's seem to hold their value pretty well (at least here in CO). I personally wouldn't own anything Japanese but that's just a preference. Have you looked at any of the Toyota offerings? if you're leaning Japanese, that's what I'd be looking at.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 8:26 pm
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I'm not a fan of Toyota, I've currently got a Honda Accord which I love, but I'm leaning towards the Subaru because as you say they seem to hold their value and I quite like the idea of AWD.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Toyota have a fantastic rep here, there line of SUV and Trucks are arguably the most popular, I'd assume their other vehicles are to a similar standard.

Depending on where you'd be living, 4WD may not even be needed. It snows pretty damn bad here in CO (especially up in the mountains) and I've only ever had to switch my truck to 4WD once.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

If you love your current Honda Accord, I'd recommend you buy another one.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 9:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Ford, Hyundai or Subaru?

Originally Posted by StuBear65
I have to say I'm not a fan of Toyota, I've currently got a Honda Accord which I love, but I'm leaning towards the Subaru because as you say they seem to hold their value and I quite like the idea of AWD.
We have a Subaru Outback and our son has the smaller (eg similar in size to a Ford Focus hatchback) Subaru XV Crosstrek (he used to have the older model Outback...had it for 7 years, totally reliable and never had a problem with it, other than a silly young woman going into the back of his car when she was too busy texting).

We are in the north east (20 miles west of New York City) and the winters can be brutal (as they can be in Washington DC too, I don’t know where you will be moving to in relation to DC?). After a very nasty storm earlier this year and we had no power for four nights/five days and no snow ploughs for a couple of days due to downed live power lines in our neighbourhood, our Subarus were brilliant on the road and getting up hills (we knew which roads were passable even when a few hundred yards from our house one end of our street was impassable). I saw other cars without AWD unable to cope and had to be towed up the local small hills. I love our Outback....very roomy inside, we got the largest 3.6 engine and it pulls away like a dream. Sometimes rather than attach the bike hitch to the car, I just turn down the seats and throw my bicycle in the back. Servicing is inexpensive (especially compared to the Volvo XC90 we used to have, now that car was a money pit once it was out of warranty). As already mentioned, these Subarus hold their value well and quite sought after in the second hand market, although it’s common for people to keep them for a decade or longer.

Will you be planning to go to any ski resorts in your car eg. The Poconos in PA or upstate New York, Vermont etc? You would feel more comfortable in the knowledge that you have an AWD car, it’s not really worth buying special snow tyres unless you live up in the mountains.

Subaru often has a promotion for 0% interest free finance for 4 years (which we took advantage of nearly two years ago and some friends have just bought their new Outback on finance. I doubt you could take advantage though without a US credit rating, but it may be worth checking out via the dealer....print off your UK credit history reports from Experian, Equifax and TransUnion (formerly CallCredit), bank statements and if will or you have transferred to the US on an L1 visa, your offer letter and social security number....you may need to speak to a few finance managers but you never know, a deal may be possible but don’t count on it.

Beware.....in some States you can’t purchase a car (from a car dealer/garage forecourt) until you have a US driving license (you can’t here in New Jersey, a UK license just won’t do.

Which model Legacy are you interested in, the saloon/sedan or estate/station wagon (although I think they don’t do the Legacy these days as an estate car and just have the Outback instead, although a few years ago you had the choice of Legacy and Outback station wagons,

My other friends lease two Subaru Foresters (smaller cargo space than an Outback but higher seating position) and they are on their second set of leases as they love their cars too.

Last edited by Englishmum; Aug 20th 2018 at 9:35 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 9:37 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Ford, Hyundai or Subaru?

Originally Posted by BenK91
Toyota have a fantastic rep here, there line of SUV and Trucks are arguably the most popular, I'd assume their other vehicles are to a similar standard.

Depending on where you'd be living, 4WD may not even be needed. It snows pretty damn bad here in CO (especially up in the mountains) and I've only ever had to switch my truck to 4WD once.
The Toyota Sienna was on the national TV news a few days ago (Friday?) stating that it has failed the crash safety tests in a front collision crash.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 10:12 pm
Go Braves!

I'm going to be in the south of VA, I don't really need AWD to be fair, but I've always quite liked Subaru's and the way they handle. Although I love my Honda, I fancy a change.

I'll be getting my VA driving licence before I buy anything.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 11:56 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs L had a Legacy for 7 years. It was a very nice car, only in workshop for routine service. The only reason we traded it in was because she needed something a bit bigger because she was involved in disaster response and was carrying lots of gear around. When we traded it in it had held its value very well.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 1:16 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

All three are decent cars IMO. I have an Outback and often have the other two as rentals. If you want AWD, the Subaru is hard to beat at the price point because it has an active AWD system. Certainly mine performs better in snow than anything I’ve had before.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenK91
Subraru's seem to hold their value pretty well (at least here in CO). I personally wouldn't own anything Japanese but that's just a preference. Have you looked at any of the Toyota offerings? if you're leaning Japanese, that's what I'd be looking at.
Good thing none of the cars the OP is looking at is Japanese, then, but I LOVE the way you go on to suggest a Japanese car!

Anyway...

I believe the Honda Accord here is a different car to the UK version. I know that was certainly true of earlier models (the Acura TSX was based on the UK chassis, which is smaller).

Hyundai has just about the same reputation here as it dies in the US (maybe just slightly higher when it comes to the SUVs). Personally, that is NOT a brand I'd invest in. Of the other two, Ford's quality has come a long way. I, myself, drive an Edge, which is a pretty good car. Subarus do still have a certain stigma to them, but are solid, reliable transportation.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 3:44 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

The Toyota Sienna was on the national TV news a few days ago (Friday?) stating that it has failed the crash safety tests in a front collision crash.
Most cars that are not of a new design fail that test. The front collision standards were changed about a year ago and just about all cars designed before the change fail the test. Doesn’t mean they are not safe, just that they not able to meet the very latest standard.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 4:35 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StuBear65
I'm going to be in the south of VA, I don't really need AWD to be fair, but I've always quite liked Subaru's and the way they handle. Although I love my Honda, I fancy a change.
Yeah, if you drive an active AWD car (Subaru, Audi, etc) hard even on dry roads, you’ll always be slightly disturbed by a 2WD or passive/reactive AWD. I used to have a CRV, and while it handled better than 2WD vehicles, it could never hold a candle to Subaru.

if you want AWD, get the Subaru. If you don’t, the Fusion (while you can still get them) is a nice car. You may be able to get a Sonata cheaper but IME, there is a very wide range between top and bottom trim levels, so keep that in mind. Hyundai might have a ‘reputation’ but I know several who feel they’ve had very good value out of that brand.

I should add that the downside to the Subaru AWD is that the other two will probably give you better gas mileage, and that some Subarus start burning up engine oil after some time.

Last edited by AdobePinon; Aug 21st 2018 at 4:38 am.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 9:39 am
Go Braves!

Thank you everyone for your input, it's been really helpful.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 11:05 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a mdsized sedan, I recommend the Accord and the Mazda 6. Out of the three you are thinking about, I like the Sonata best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.