Food snob

Old Dec 8th 2013, 3:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food snob

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC

The things Speedwell mentions sound great, sadly there isn't that variety in Augusta Maine
Bit tougher in winter, but you've got a pluck shed ton of farmers markets within a half hour of there for fresh fruit/veg/fish and to a lesser extent meat in the summer.

Does mean venturing with cash and buying from some really weird looking people though
Old Dec 8th 2013, 4:00 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Being a food snob is, I think, about making unnecessarily detailed choices.

A food snob gets upset because they were making Hungarian goulash but ran out of Hungarian paprika and has only Spanish smoked paprika in the house, and refuses to use the spice grinder to grind the fresh dried chilies because "they aren't the right variety".

A food snob prefers the biryani place two hundred yards from her apartment complex entrance to the biryani place fifty yards from the entrance because the first one makes more authentic goat curry.

A food snob has five different kinds of cooking oil, three kinds of sugar, four kinds of flour, three kinds of salt, three kinds of natural non-sugar sweeteners, eight different kinds of curry powder organized by the dish they go in, and three different kinds of flower water for flavoring. She's capable of making Dobos torte from scratch and a Roman lasagna that would make you weep, and her husband won't let her buy potatoes unassisted because HE is picky about potatoes.

A food snob is anyone who routinely refuses to eat dishes at a restaurant on the grounds that "I can make it better myself at home".

A food snob is someone who likes making ramen by first going to the Asian grocery for the noodles, then making miso broth at home with the chicken stock she always has on hand.

I am a food snob. It's a disease of prosperity, but it's also a reaction to having been poor. Well, I don't know; when I was poor I was still picky about things like proper food prep and having fresh things. Heh.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Bit tougher in winter, but you've got a pluck shed ton of farmers markets within a half hour of there for fresh fruit/veg/fish and to a lesser extent meat in the summer.

Does mean venturing with cash and buying from some really weird looking people though
I think they're called Mainers
Old Dec 8th 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

have you ever been to the market in Portland, Deering Oaks Park? Worth a visit in April through November for all kinds of stuff. It's a fun atmosphere too.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 4:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but some of them were particularly special
Old Dec 8th 2013, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
Oh and you should try keeping chickens, the eggs are devine !
We can't keep chickens in the City of GR (local ordinance) but don't need to, the farm fresh eggs we get are sometimes laid that very day (sometimes they're still warm!)

I actually used to have what I called an "egg limit", where I would only be able to eat 1 or 2 per meal. Now I can eat as many as I fancy.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Can't afford to be.

Do make a effort to get the best we can afford though and also know when/where is best to get the best value for fruit/meat/veg and usually consists of a couple different grocery stores at different times and in the summer, a couple of different market/farm stands.

It's a hassle though.
So is going to the doctor's. And as far as affording it, it's a question of making choices. We don't have a $200/month triple play cable bill. We don't have a car. We have a PAYG mobile phone. Not saying you have the choice, it's often a question of priorities though.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 11:00 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Difference in farm egg prices in different places is significant. Where we are, remote rural area with many small producers, we pay $2.70 - $3.00 for a dozen large farm eggs. Bought direct from the farm, some folks charge just $2.00. On Cape Cod, with a larger population of wealthy people and fewer producers (and higher feed prices) the price is more like $6 or $7 a dozen.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 11:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by E17Avenue
So is going to the doctor's. And as far as affording it, it's a question of making choices. We don't have a $200/month triple play cable bill. We don't have a car. We have a PAYG mobile phone. Not saying you have the choice, it's often a question of priorities though.
Yes, easier said than done, when one's grocery budget is $65 a week.
Old Dec 8th 2013, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny, but we've become more 'picky' since we emigrated; we do notice that labels on products here give information in a more readily understandable (to us anyway) sense than they ever did in the UK. What we would really like though (we live in Orlando) is a decent butcher and a good farmer's market would be nice, but I'm afraid like the cultural desert that is Orlando, it's also bereft of proper shops!
Old Dec 9th 2013, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
have you ever been to the market in Portland, Deering Oaks Park? Worth a visit in April through November for all kinds of stuff. It's a fun atmosphere too.
No I haven't been there. I'll try and remember next Spring
Old Dec 9th 2013, 2:30 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes, easier said than done, when one's grocery budget is $65 a week.
The fact that you cook your own food puts you miles ahead of most people in the US! I've seen the stuff you make/eat and you have nothing to apologize about. Luckily most of the healthy stuff I love is cheap --- beans, eggs, potato, seasonal fruit and veg. I will splurge on the better eggs but even those are a relatively cheap source of protein in comparison to meat. It's the people that are living entirely on processed sugary non-food garbage that are killing themselves and their kids.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I have a question ... spotted a trend here ...

Switched to farm fresh eggs - they taste like the ones back home, rather than stale nothing.
Switched to creamline milk - 2% - as it seems to allow the taste to come through if it's not homogenised. We have had to buy homogenised milk from the same place and it's not as good.
Switched to local butter - the same farm as the milk - the taste is superior to anything in the shops, where the butter seems to be more watery. I actually think we get just as much butter per $.
We do the same as the opening post with eggs and as many veg as we can. These days we only have almond milk

Originally Posted by Montfan72
... I shop the local farmers markets for produce and meat, eggs then head to Trader Joes for the other bits and bobs. ....
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
... Since stopping eating 'crap' food and going back to basics including herd-share non pasteurised, hormone and antibiotic free milk life has been so much better.
Oh and you should try keeping chickens, the eggs are devine !
... the farm fresh eggs we get are sometimes laid that very day (sometimes they're still warm!)

I actually used to have what I called an "egg limit", where I would only be able to eat 1 or 2 per meal. Now I can eat as many as I fancy.
Originally Posted by robin1234
Difference in farm egg prices in different places is significant. Where we are, remote rural area with many small producers, we pay $2.70 - $3.00 for a dozen large farm eggs. Bought direct from the farm, some folks charge just $2.00. On Cape Cod, with a larger population of wealthy people and fewer producers (and higher feed prices) the price is more like $6 or $7 a dozen.
Originally Posted by Leslie
The fact that you cook your own food puts you miles ahead of most people in the US! I've seen the stuff you make/eat and you have nothing to apologize about. Luckily most of the healthy stuff I love is cheap --- beans, eggs, potato, seasonal fruit and veg. I will splurge on the better eggs but even those are a relatively cheap source of protein in comparison to meat. It's the people that are living entirely on processed sugary non-food garbage that are killing themselves and their kids.
What's with all this dairy?! Especially Eggs? Now, my g/f is Asian, and she has the classic 'lactose' issue so our 'household' doesn't tend to be big on dairy, but still ... I have a bit of milk in my morning coffee, a hint of butter once a week on a slice of toast, and eggs ... can't remember when I last had an egg! I thought milk/eggs/butter were sources of fat and cholesterol? I'm not criticizing, I'm just confused/surprised. Is it for baking / desserts? I have cut back a lot on meat, and maybe I should be more concerned about protein ... how does one know if one is not getting enough protein, by the way? I started eating peanut butter for that reason ...

Again - not trying to be contentious here, just trying to learn ...

ETA - reading now about protein deficiencies ... I think I'm ok but I will pursue further ...

Last edited by Steerpike; Dec 9th 2013 at 5:01 am.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 5:55 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
OK, I have a question ... spotted a trend here ...
Ingested fat and cholesterol are not the problem (outside of known problems with the gall bladder or other pathologies). Elevated levels of fat and/or cholesterol in the body, whether from overeating in proportion to what the body uses, or from one or another metabolic disorder (such as a fatty liver damaged by drinking), are the problems. Fats in the diet are required for the body to properly use fat-soluble nutrients, and cholesterol is produced and metabolized in fairly large amounts by the body to make hormones.

There are good and bad fats. Eating chemically changed fats with the breakdown products from overcooking or being used to fry too many times can be a problem, but a small one in comparison with other compounds in food that could potentially harm the body. There is said to be a certain kind of fat in the fish called "escolar" (sometimes called 'white tuna" in sushi restaurants) that is not properly metabolized by the human body. Rotated fats such as the compound Olestra (used in "diet" crisps and such) play hell with your digestion. The fat in butter is more easily used by the body than the fat in hydrogenated margarine or polyunsaturated oils. The lauric acid (a type of fat) in coconut oil can aid healing and metabolism. Don't worry about the small amounts of fat you say you use.

Eggs contain lecithin, which actually aids in the metabolism of both fat and cholesterol. So long as you don't eat so many of them that you neglect the rest of your diet, and they are free of disease, recent research indicates eggs are safe.

So long as you are eating enough food, and eating a good enough variety, you are sure to be getting enough protein. I got plenty when I was a vegan, from eating a good combination of grains/breads/pasta, greens, other vegetables, legumes, and nuts. The problem in our Western diets is not a lack of protein, but a tendency to eat so much protein that we tax our systems. Don't confuse "protein" with milk, meat, and eggs alone. Peanut butter is great, especially on a good sturdy bread. Keeping in mind the principles of combining different kinds of "incomplete" protein to make "complete" protein is useful, but they don't have to be eaten together at every meal, just within the same day or so. Seek additional sources of protein if you are an athlete or you use your muscles a lot.

Keep up with important macronutrients such as fiber and water. Don't panic!

Last edited by Speedwell; Dec 9th 2013 at 6:09 am.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Eggs contain lecithin, which actually aids in the metabolism of both fat and cholesterol.
...and retard the absorption of certain vitamins.

Moderation in all things.

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.