Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Flying with an epipen

Flying with an epipen

Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

choppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to all
Default Flying with an epipen

I'm flying home next week with my 3 year old daughter. She has food allergies and was prescribed an epipen by her doctor. Since you must carry it with you at all times, I am wondering when I go through airport security, do I have to put it in a separate bag or can I keep it in my carry on bag? Also would I need a doctor's note? Her name is printed on the box that the pens are in.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying with an epipen

Originally Posted by choppi
I'm flying home next week with my 3 year old daughter. She has food allergies and was prescribed an epipen by her doctor. Since you must carry it with you at all times, I am wondering when I go through airport security, do I have to put it in a separate bag or can I keep it in my carry on bag? Also would I need a doctor's note? Her name is printed on the box that the pens are in.
MY wife has no problem with diabetic needles, so, you should be okay.

Jim
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Standard advice is to have a letter from the doctor explaining why she needs it on her at all times and pack it in carry on luggage, same with all medication. Chances are it won't even be mentioned.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by choppi
My daughter carries an Epipen and hasn't had a problem. Saying that you are supposed to carry a note from the doctor or a prescription for all prescribed meds but we've never done this...as you said her name, doctor's name etc is on the label.

I would put it in a plastic bag with other small liquids and gels.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

Yes I agree. My husband is diabetic and flies back and fore Aberdeen > Houston all the time. He has never had a problem carrying his pen, needles and insulin. He carries a letter from our doctor but has never had to produce this. The insulin has the prescription sticker on the side anyway. He carries his in a small 'lunchbox' type thing (one of those ones that keeps cool). Best to carry a letter from the doctor with you just in case. You never know when you will encounter a jobsworth at check in, who could be awkward. Most airlines state that this is a requirement anyway, if carrying sharps/meds on board.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Standard advice is to have a letter from the doctor explaining why she needs it on her at all times and pack it in carry on luggage, same with all medication. Chances are it won't even be mentioned.
never put it in checked luggage EVER!!! always put it in hand luggage, u never know what route ur luggage is going to take, or if u get diverted your going to be screwed if u dont have it when u need it
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
never put it in checked luggage EVER!!! always put it in hand luggage, u never know what route ur luggage is going to take, or if u get diverted your going to be screwed if u dont have it when u need it
Right, that's why you put it in your carry on luggage.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Right, that's why you put it in your carry on luggage.
you would be supprised at how many put it in checked luggage..
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 5:42 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like good advice to me.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

choppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to all

Thanks everyone. I'll call her doctor tomorrow and ask for a letter, just to be on the safe side.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
you would be supprised at how many put it in checked luggage..
Yep even with a sign at our check in counter with a list of items that should be in checked bag they still did it.

I worked baggage service (aka: Lost Luggage) and we'd have several people each month who had their meds in the checked bag....Not a smart idea....

Then of course there are those who say their bag is missing, and black but its really green and on the baggage claim....