British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Flying with an epipen (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/flying-epipen-623056/)

choppi Jul 30th 2009 11:35 pm

Flying with an epipen

I'm flying home next week with my 3 year old daughter. She has food allergies and was prescribed an epipen by her doctor. Since you must carry it with you at all times, I am wondering when I go through airport security, do I have to put it in a separate bag or can I keep it in my carry on bag? Also would I need a doctor's note? Her name is printed on the box that the pens are in.

Scouse Express Jul 30th 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Flying with an epipen

Originally Posted by choppi (Post 7799638)
I'm flying home next week with my 3 year old daughter. She has food allergies and was prescribed an epipen by her doctor. Since you must carry it with you at all times, I am wondering when I go through airport security, do I have to put it in a separate bag or can I keep it in my carry on bag? Also would I need a doctor's note? Her name is printed on the box that the pens are in.

MY wife has no problem with diabetic needles, so, you should be okay.

Jim

Duncan Roberts Jul 31st 2009 1:08 am

Standard advice is to have a letter from the doctor explaining why she needs it on her at all times and pack it in carry on luggage, same with all medication. Chances are it won't even be mentioned.

Jerseygirl Jul 31st 2009 1:14 am

Originally Posted by choppi (Post 7799638)

My daughter carries an Epipen and hasn't had a problem. Saying that you are supposed to carry a note from the doctor or a prescription for all prescribed meds but we've never done this...as you said her name, doctor's name etc is on the label.

I would put it in a plastic bag with other small liquids and gels.

Lazzza Aug 2nd 2009 11:40 am

Yes I agree. My husband is diabetic and flies back and fore Aberdeen > Houston all the time. He has never had a problem carrying his pen, needles and insulin. He carries a letter from our doctor but has never had to produce this. The insulin has the prescription sticker on the side anyway. He carries his in a small 'lunchbox' type thing (one of those ones that keeps cool). Best to carry a letter from the doctor with you just in case. You never know when you will encounter a jobsworth at check in, who could be awkward. Most airlines state that this is a requirement anyway, if carrying sharps/meds on board.

Deedee13 Aug 2nd 2009 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 7799798)
Standard advice is to have a letter from the doctor explaining why she needs it on her at all times and pack it in carry on luggage, same with all medication. Chances are it won't even be mentioned.

never put it in checked luggage EVER!!! always put it in hand luggage, u never know what route ur luggage is going to take, or if u get diverted your going to be screwed if u dont have it when u need it

Duncan Roberts Aug 2nd 2009 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 7805925)
never put it in checked luggage EVER!!! always put it in hand luggage, u never know what route ur luggage is going to take, or if u get diverted your going to be screwed if u dont have it when u need it

Right, that's why you put it in your carry on luggage.

Deedee13 Aug 2nd 2009 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 7806047)
Right, that's why you put it in your carry on luggage.

you would be supprised at how many put it in checked luggage..:o

NC Penguin Aug 3rd 2009 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 7799798)

Sounds like good advice to me.

choppi Aug 5th 2009 12:44 am

Thanks everyone. I'll call her doctor tomorrow and ask for a letter, just to be on the safe side.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 5th 2009 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 7806051)
you would be supprised at how many put it in checked luggage..:o

Yep even with a sign at our check in counter with a list of items that should be in checked bag they still did it.

I worked baggage service (aka: Lost Luggage) and we'd have several people each month who had their meds in the checked bag....Not a smart idea....

Then of course there are those who say their bag is missing, and black but its really green and on the baggage claim....:rofl: