Florida shooting

Old Feb 15th 2018, 1:11 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida shooting

Originally Posted by Shard
If someone broke into your house with guns, would you shoot them on sight or try to warn them off first? Would you have the calmness/confidence to shoot?
Would I shoot on sight? No - because I know the law. Only when they become a threat would I use deadly force. They have the chance to retreat, or surrender. If they do not take that chance, or raise a firearm towards me, then yes I would respond with whatever force is required to neutralize the threat.

Do I know if I would be calm or confident? I would like to think confident, probably not calm, but no one knows in that moment.

One thing I do know is that it would take the law at least 10 minutes to respond to where I live (out in the sticks) and I am not prepared to wait that long for help. Sometimes you have to help yourself. It's not like I want to shoot someone, I really don't, but in a straight choice I choose my family over them.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civilservant
Would I shoot on sight? No - because I know the law. Only when they become a threat would I use deadly force. They have the chance to retreat, or surrender. If they do not take that chance, or raise a firearm towards me, then yes I would respond with whatever force is required to neutralize the threat.

Do I know if I would be calm or confident? I would like to think confident, probably not calm, but no one knows in that moment.

One thing I do know is that it would take the law at least 10 minutes to respond to where I live (out in the sticks) and I am not prepared to wait that long for help. Sometimes you have to help yourself. It's not like I want to shoot someone, I really don't, but in a straight choice I choose my family over them.
That is not the law in Colorado, yours may well be different.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 1:31 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I understand that. Just curious as I have never been in a gun owning situation.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 1:33 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I often wonder about Atheists, other side of the coin, how do you disprove the possibility.
I think for most atheists it's a case "arbitrarily close to zero". Certainly any with science training would accept that there is always a possibility (of some kind of cosmological phenomena akin to a god).
Old Feb 15th 2018, 2:17 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Most break-ins are done by opportunists. Simply chambering a round or presenting the gun would likely be enough to cause them to run off. If, in the unlikely event someone breaks in, you'd very likely not have to actually fire the gun, which is obviously the desired outcome. I don't feel I have a need for one myself unless I decide to get into target shooting, but whatever. I do have a solid cast-iron frying pan and I'm not averse to running at a home invader semi or fully nude to scare them off.

Of course, if you get a 'professional' burglar who is armed and prepared, you're likely ****ed whether you have a gun or not. But adequate home security (and not doing things like posting your vacation dates online, etc) will force those people to break into someone else's house instead.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

plasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
And get rid of every Knife and Acid backed politician in the UK at the same time.

And every Politician who backed by the Medical/Insurance Complex.

And every one, well you get the idea.
I don't believe any UK politician is financially backed by the NKA (National knife association).
I have yet to hear about a crazy kid entering a school in the UK and stabbing 17 children. This country need real gun control FFS, no amount of excuses will change that.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 2:32 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I do have a solid cast-iron frying pan and I'm not averse to running at a home invader semi or fully nude to scare them off.
Frying pan or not, that would scare off even the most hardened criminals.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 2:37 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Frying pan or not, that would scare off even the most hardened criminals.
It was probably way too flippant given the subject matter at hand here, but the objective is to scare them off in any way I can. Over the top gestures can be quite effective in causing a home invader to become someone else's problem. And if he happens to fall down the stairs on the way out and I end up sitting on them while the police get there - well that's just a shame, isn't it?
Old Feb 15th 2018, 2:37 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not averse to running at a home invader semi or fully nude to scare them off.
That's your Celtic heritage coming through.

I remember my parents once thought there was someone in our house in London. My father went to look for them in his pajamas, holding one of his golf clubs
Old Feb 15th 2018, 2:41 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I think for most atheists it's a case "arbitrarily close to zero". Certainly any with science training would accept that there is always a possibility (of some kind of cosmological phenomena akin to a god).
Most atheists I know don't try to, as Boiler put it "disprove the possibility" As they know it is impossible to disprove that possibility, just like Russell's teapot. They just lack the belief in any god.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 2:49 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Most break-ins are done by opportunists. Simply chambering a round or presenting the gun would likely be enough to cause them to run off. If, in the unlikely event someone breaks in, you'd very likely not have to actually fire the gun, which is obviously the desired outcome. I don't feel I have a need for one myself unless I decide to get into target shooting, but whatever. I do have a solid cast-iron frying pan and I'm not averse to running at a home invader semi or fully nude to scare them off.

Of course, if you get a 'professional' burglar who is armed and prepared, you're likely ****ed whether you have a gun or not. But adequate home security (and not doing things like posting your vacation dates online, etc) will force those people to break into someone else's house instead.
I don't disagree with any of the points you make to be honest. The likelihood, out here in the boonies, of being broken into is remote to say the least. Better have and not need, then need and not have though.

If the action of pumping the shotgun (which isn't going to be that useful since there's a shell in the chamber and it'll just eject it, but I digress) is enough to scare the person off then that $400 investment just paid off.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 2:50 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Most atheists I know don't try to, as Boiler put it "disprove the possibility" As they know it is impossible to disprove that possibility, just like Russell's teapot. They just lack the belief in any god.
Yes. Nothing to disprove.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 2:50 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
That's your Celtic heritage coming through.

I remember my parents once thought there was someone in our house in London. My father went to look for them in his pajamas, holding one of his golf clubs
Standard procedure, there. I mean, I get it if you're in the middle of nowhere, possibly surrounded by bears or something maybe you might have a gun or two strategically placed 'just in case', but I'm slap bang in suburbia and the fuzz are a 10 minute walk from my house. I'll spend my money on something else that I'll get a lot more enjoyment and use out of.

My strategy is to make my house as undesirable as possible to break into. Therefore, I don't flash around any of my expensive gear - the car gets loaded and unloaded inside the garage with the door shut. When we get a new TV, etc, I break down the boxes and put them in the recycling, rather than setting them out for collection. It's worked well this far and if it fails, well, I have my frying pan.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 2:53 pm
I have a comma problem

I don't disagree with any of the points you make to be honest. The likelihood, out here in the boonies, of being broken into is remote to say the least. Better have and not need, then need and not have though.

If the action of pumping the shotgun (which isn't going to be that useful since there's a shell in the chamber and it'll just eject it, but I digress) is enough to scare the person off then that $400 investment just paid off.
I was, in a way, backing you up anyway. It's 100% better for you that the likelihood of being broken into is remote where you are, because then you will only have to use your guns for 'sport' (assuming you partake in target practice, etc), rather than to actually shoot someone.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 2:55 pm
Yo

You keep it loaded

What's then the point if you're pumping it ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.