Florida shooting

Old Mar 27th 2018, 6:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida shooting

Originally Posted by Leslie
I'm tired of that old trope as well. What about the people that take their kids to church? Or to NRA meetings? Or home schooling? Or decide what their diet will be? Or tell them what clothes to wear?

IMO, to some extent, every child is a product of the adults in their immediate sphere of influence.

It's all brainwashing if you ask me.
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It's a load of crap, isn't it?

Pretty much, yeah.

“They **** you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were ****ed up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.”
Old Mar 27th 2018, 6:20 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter

“They **** you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were ****ed up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.”
Philip Larkin was a bloody national treasure.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Says it all:

Because the conversation usually goes like this:

You: We don’t want to ban all guns, we just want to ban assault weapons.

Me: What do you mean by “assault weapons?” There is no standard definition of “assault guns / assault weapons.”

You: You know, military grade weapons—no one needs those.

Me: “Military grade” weapons have a selector for fully automatic fire. Fully automatic weapons have been illegal since 1934. Civilians can’t purchase “military grade” weapons.

You: Well, you know, we should ban guns like AR-15s then.

Me: You want to ban just AR-15s or all guns like AR-15s?

You: All guns like AR-15s.

Me: An AR-15 is pretty representative of guns like it, so let’s look specifically at it. An AR-15 is a semi-automatic modern sporting rifle that can chamber .22, .223 (5.56 x 45mm), 6.8 SPC, .308, .450 Bushmaster and about a dozen others. Upper receivers for pistol calibers such as 9 mm, .40, and .45 are available. There are even .410 shotgun versions. So how would you write a “ban on guns like AR-15s” into law?

You: Um, let’s just ban all semi-automatic weapons.

Me: So you want to ban semi-automatic rifles or semi-automatic weapons?

You: All semi-automatic weapons

Me: So that would leave only bolt-action rifles and revolvers as legal guns?

You: Yeah! That’s it!

Me: That would ban about 80% of the guns currently in the US. I thought you said you didn’t want to ban all guns?

You: But the children!

Me: You’re a moron.

You: That’s mean and hateful! You can’t say that!

Me: Yes, it’s mean, but it’s protected under free speech.

You: We need to ban hate speech!

Me: You want to start placing restrictions on free speech now?

You: Not all speech, just hate speech.

Here is someone that sees the terrible effects of AR-15 and similar weapons up close. He has some ideas about which weapons should not be in the hands of civilians. High velocity, high capacity for example.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...n-guns/553937/

Or do you think someone's liver needs to be totally destroyed so you can still have the right to own your big gun?
Old Mar 27th 2018, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Psyman
Here is someone that sees the terrible effects of AR-15 and similar weapons up close. He has some ideas about which weapons should not be in the hands of civilians. High velocity, high capacity for example.

Or do you think someone's liver needs to be totally destroyed so you can still have the right to own your big gun?
My rifle is in .308, .223 is illegal in my State for Big Game Hunting.

The minimum for say a Pronghorn is generally considered 1000 so you can see that is pretty much point blank for a .223 and a Pronghorn is very small compared to say a Mule Deer or an Elk. My .308 has enough at ranges beyond which I would be comfortable shooting.

Most of my friends think a .308 is a bit wimpy but the recoil is more manageable, well for me.

Old Mar 27th 2018, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

My rifle is in .308, .223 is illegal in my State for Big Game Hunting.

The minimum for say a Pronghorn is generally considered 1000 so you can see that is pretty much point blank for a .223 and a Pronghorn is very small compared to say a Mule Deer or an Elk. My .308 has enough at ranges beyond which I would be comfortable shooting.

Most of my friends think a .308 is a bit wimpy but the recoil is more manageable, well for me.

https://www.swggun.org/wp-content/up...1-1024x540.png

My big game shooting is done with an Olympus. The results look much better on the wall than a stuffed head, and it generally can't be used to kill anyone. I'm ok with an 18th century interpretation (when it was written) of the 2nd amendment, so your hunting rifle kind of fits that. High velocity, high capacity ownership is all about "I want" not "I need".
Old Mar 27th 2018, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My big game shooting is done with an Olympus. The results look much better on the wall than a stuffed head, and it generally can't be used to kill anyone. I'm ok with an 18th century interpretation (when it was written) of the 2nd amendment, so your hunting rifle kind of fits that. High velocity, high capacity ownership is all about "I want" not "I need".
I have a Nikon Scope. I would not think of .223 as being High Velocity, tend to think of those as being 4,000 and above.

But it is subjective.

Colorado limits magazines to 15.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

I have a Nikon Scope. I would not think of .223 as being High Velocity, tend to think of those as being 4,000 and above.

But it is subjective.

Well it would be a shame to find out which firearms are considered high velocity by the observations of a radiologist after a mass shooting, so hopefully that could be worked out in a lab and consideration given to not allowing those weapons in civilian hands especially if they are combined with the ability to be high capacity. Not sure why anyone needs to shoot off 15 rounds so quickly. If it's for hunting, you'd need tags for a whole herd. If it's just for fun, then I'd say the current culture of death (human) by such firearms shows its time we cant be trusted with them anymore, and tough luck to your fun. We all have our rights to some kind of fun curtailed for the overall benefit of society.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

But it is subjective.

Unless you essentially buy the magazine broken down as a 'kit', I've seen that at a local store near me. I have a 30 round magazine and a 15 round magazine, both never have more than 10 rounds in as it's strictly used at the gun range who limit 10 round per magazine and they do check.

Said store have 30 round + magazines which they 'disassemble' in front of you and then sell them to you. Or we can drive a few hours to Wyoming and buy a 100-round drum magazine and bring that back which is somehow legal.

Those loopholes need to be changed for sure.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 9:37 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

What weapons should be in the hands of civilians? Exactly the ones in the hands of the government. Who's killed more people than anyone else? Governments. Jesus, 10,000 were killed by the government during Prohibition.

It just absolutely beggars belief the cognitive dissonance of idiots who completely overlook the total and abject failure of the federal and state governments, law enforcement and school district to prevent this happening. Just give them a complete pass.
And then you want to give further powers to the government which so abjectly failed. Talking about the definition of insanity. Some people are just so stupid they can't be helped.

Again, I can't see how you can be so blind to history and willingly want to consolidate the use of force solely in the hands of the government. The utter absurdity and irony of shrieker-in-chief Emma Gonzalez calling for gun control and confiscation while she has a Cuban flag on her jacket. Complete and utter contemptible idiots.

Now that the cat is out of the bag, the silent majority are taking notice.

And that utter garbage article about .223 bullets and "big guns"...
You want me to post pictures of what shotguns can do? Ever see someone's head completely blown off? Dolt. Cue the resident remf's outrage.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 9:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
What weapons should be in the hands of civilians? Exactly the ones in the hands of the government. Who's killed more people than anyone else? Governments. Jesus, 10,000 were killed by the government during Prohibition.

It just absolutely beggars belief the cognitive dissonance of idiots who completely overlook the total and abject failure of the federal and state governments, law enforcement and school district to prevent this happening. Just give them a complete pass.
And then you want to give further powers to the government which so abjectly failed. Talking about the definition of insanity. Some people are just so stupid they can't be helped.

Again, I can't see how you can be so blind to history and willingly want to consolidate the use of force solely in the hands of the government. The utter absurdity and irony of shrieker-in-chief Emma Gonzalez calling for gun control and confiscation while she has a Cuban flag on her jacket. Complete and utter contemptible idiots.

You want me to post pictures of what shotguns can do? Ever see someone's head completely blown off? Dolt. Cue the resident remf's outrage.

and breathe...
Old Mar 27th 2018, 9:48 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, leftists are utterly nuts. Actual leftist thinking:

Black Lives Matter exists because of cops shooting black people.
I know what, let's consolidate the use of force into those self same people!

Part of me wants to see it happen. To see what happens when grown-ups cede control to hysterical, emotional hand-wringing leftists without the ability to reason or comprehend logc, cause and effect and so forth. Just blindly shout slogans and do your two minutes hate!

It's utterly pathetic and perversely amusing.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, leftists are utterly nuts. Actual leftist thinking:

Black Lives Matter exists because of cops shooting black people.
I know what, let's consolidate the use of force into those self same people!

Part of me wants to see it happen. To see what happens when grown-ups cede control to hysterical, emotional hand-wringing leftists without the ability to reason or comprehend logc, cause and effect and so forth. Just blindly shout slogans and do your two minutes hate!

It's utterly pathetic and perversely amusing.
and breathe...
Old Mar 27th 2018, 10:22 pm
Peace onion

https://ijr.com/2018/03/1079339-nbc-...for-our-lives/

NBC gushes this "grassroots" movement was attended by 800,000. It was actually 200,000.

-gasp-
Old Mar 27th 2018, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, the history of the world sucks doesn't it. Hardly a government out there in history that doesn't have some kind of blood on its hands I would suppose. Not sure what your definition of government is though. I am a government worker but I don't think I contribute to any deaths. I hope the paranoia about government in this country that seems so pervasive doesn't extend to me, although I have had one "... you government workers..." today from a contractor. Are you talking about the political leaders and the military? I think we've tried some peaceful demonstrations against some wars over the last few decades with limited (or no) results. Are you saying the 60's hippies should have taken guns to their demonstrations or into government buildings and taken control? I'm being a bit sarcastic of course, but am genuinely interested in how the citizenry can correct the course of governments by owning a lot of powerful guns that don't in anyway match what the military has?

Anyway, sounds like the US either needs to become like Costa Rica, or else we all need to be carrying our own personal nuclear codes around all the time. As for Emma Gonzalez, I expect she probably doesn't like her government starting wars or the local police shooting unarmed citizens either, but I think she's been a bit pre-occupied to prepare a speech about those lately.

As for the shotgun, I guess that needs to be banned too, eh.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 10:51 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

If women weren't such a bunch of slutty whores we wouldn't even need gun safety laws.

Guns don't kill people. Wombs kill people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.