Florida shooting

Old Feb 23rd 2018, 2:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida shooting

Originally Posted by Leslie
There was an armed police officer (off duty) working at the Pulse nightclub. He did engage with the shooter and he had to withdraw and wait for backup because he was so drastically outgunned.

I don't understand how we can expect the police to rely less on military grade weapons (as expressed earlier in the thread) when clearly it takes more than a "good guy with a gun" to stop a bad guy with a gun ... It takes a SWAT team with a bearcat.
Even the police have a hard time with accuracy when it comes to their Glocks as well, so cases like an active shooter in an enclosed, crowded area are exactly when they need something 'bigger'. Even a shotgun wouldn't have helped in that case.

Based on LaPierre's unhinged rhetoric yesterday, the only thing I can surmise is that the NRA must be heartbroken that Obama is gone. For 8 years they had him as their boogeyman and gun sales went through the roof. Having somebody like Trump in office must be so scary for them.
Kind of hard to feel sorry for them, though.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Sorry if the truth offends you.

If it isn't obvious by now that Trump is a bigot leading a party of bigots, then I'm not sure what it's going to take. Do they have to fire up the ovens before we are allowed to complain about it?

As for the security guy, he is there to be a deterrent, not to make his wife into a widow. A cop in such a circumstance would call for backup.
I mean you've jumped the shark here. You used to be more reserved.

Anyway, his job was to confront the active shooter. I'm pretty sure you'll find that is his dept's policy which is why he's no longer working for them.

In this case the cop with a gun was the only person who stood a chance. But he chose to be a coward while the students were killed, including those without guns who tried to save their fellow students.

And before you say he didn't stand a chance, the new procedures for confronting active shooters aren't necessairly about going in guns blazing, just firing a few shots at the assailant is sometimes enough to screw their plans up. In the Pulse shooting officers engaging the suspect caused him to withdraw into a side room IIRC.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Feb 23rd 2018 at 3:27 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I think it was an SRO, which is an actual policeman and not just a security guard. He would be armed, but I think I read he was in another part of the school and couldn't get there fast enough or something. I'm not going to go searching for it now though because it doesn't matter since 17 kids died, so semantics won't help a bit.

Anyway, the fact that there was an armed, trained police office on site and he was effectively powerless against the shooter should make it pretty clear that throwing more guns at the problem, and putting them in the hands of untrained civilians who also happen to be underpaid, overstressed teachers and expect them to potentially point their gun at a child and put two in the chest and one in the head is just pure lunacy. That's before you even get to the fact that even trained marksmen are not 100% accurate with a pistol.
He wasn't powerless, just gutless. I always think most US cops love the Die Hard scenario of going up against the odds and killing the bad guys, but obviously not in this case.

And no I doubt most teachers would even touch a gun, let alone carry one into the classroom, hence that's a stupid idea.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:39 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
He wasn't powerless, just gutless. I always think most US cops love the Die Hard scenario of going up against the odds and killing the bad guys, but obviously not in this case.

And no I doubt most teachers would even touch a gun, let alone carry one into the classroom, hence that's a stupid idea.
I was under the impression he was too far away from the shooter when it started so he couldn't have been able to do anything anyway.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression he was too far away from the shooter when it started so he couldn't have been able to do anything anyway.
According to the sheriff there is CCTV footage of him waiting outside for 4 minutes while the chaos happened inside. He arrived on the scene 90 seconds after the shooting started and the shooting lasted 6 minutes.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:46 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by chawkins99
According to the sheriff there is CCTV footage of him waiting outside for 4 minutes while the chaos happened inside. He arrived on the scene 90 seconds after the shooting started and the shooting lasted 6 minutes.
WTF? That sounds like there was a chance he could have been able to do something if he hadn't been waiting around outside.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

WTF? That sounds like there was a chance he could have been able to do something if he hadn't been waiting around outside.
Yep. He was suspended pending an investigation and has since resigned. Currently at home with police protection.

One comment I saw was that he resigned to protect his pension.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:51 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I mean you've jumped the shark here. You used to be more reserved.
It's the followers of the GOP who have jumped the shark.

The problem is with the fascists and their enablers, not with me. Complacency is a form of enabling.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:52 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Yep. He was suspended pending an investigation and has since resigned. Currently at home with police protection.

One comment I saw was that he resigned to protect his pension.
That's pretty messed up though. Really, what was the point in him being there at all then?
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:54 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was an SRO, which is an actual policeman and not just a security guard. He would be armed, but I think I read he was in another part of the school and couldn't get there fast enough or something. I'm not going to go searching for it now though because it doesn't matter since 17 kids died, so semantics won't help a bit.

Anyway, the fact that there was an armed, trained police office on site and he was effectively powerless against the shooter should make it pretty clear that throwing more guns at the problem, and putting them in the hands of untrained civilians who also happen to be underpaid, overstressed teachers and expect them to potentially point their gun at a child and put two in the chest and one in the head is just pure lunacy. That's before you even get to the fact that even trained marksmen are not 100% accurate with a pistol.
But there are fictional characters in films and on TV who are able to save everyone. Why couldn't the cop have been like one of them?
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 3:56 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
But there are fictional characters in films and on TV who are able to save everyone. Why couldn't the cop been like one of them?
Oh, you're preaching to the choir here. I was only mentioning the presence of police in schools as an argument against throwing more guns at the problem.

Though, it seems in this case he could have done something if he'd got on scene faster than he did. Not that he could necessarily have saved everyone, but he surely could have taken down the shooter before 17 kids were killed.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 4:05 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Though, it seems in this case he could have done something if he'd got on scene faster than he did. Not that he could necessarily have saved everyone, but he surely could have taken down the shooter before 17 kids were killed.
Hanging around outside is not a good look when the unarmed football coach is throwing himself in front of kids to save them.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 4:06 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Hanging around outside is not a good look when the unarmed football coach is throwing himself in front of kids to save them.
It really isn't.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 4:22 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Based on LaPierre's unhinged rhetoric yesterday, the only thing I can surmise is that the NRA must be heartbroken that Obama is gone. For 8 years they had him as their boogeyman and gun sales went through the roof. Having somebody like Trump in office must be so scary for them.
I haven't heard it. But a UK friend of mine happened to hear it, and was just telling me he spoke a lot of sense? WTF ?!? I cannot imagine that. It seems like LaPierre was blaming every tangential reason but guns. What's needed is an ANRA (Anti NRA lobby) that is twice as funded and twice as powerful. Not impossible if a few American billionaires put their money where there mouth was.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 4:39 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

So let's recap;

FBI is tipped off TWICE that this is a probable school shooter.
Broward Sheriff's Office is called 18 times reporting Cruz threats and behavior.
School has repeatedly suspended him and regards him as a threat, even going so far as to warn to be on the lookout if he has a backpack on campus.
School Resource Officer doesn't do the post-Columbine tactic. Hides.

Yet somehow gun-owners are the "fascist enablers" and this is all our fault. Get the guns!
Rolls eyes.

My friend says, there's blood in the water this time. This is different.
I don't think so. This is going to backfire on CNN.
https://www.redstate.com/brandon_mor...ly-accomplish/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.