British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Flooding in San Diego........ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/flooding-san-diego-870133/)

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 6th 2016 2:53 am

Flooding in San Diego........

Anyone affected by the flooding?

The photos look like mostly the usual places of flooding, especially in El Nino winters....

Apparently received up to 2" in less than 3 hours.

Winter Storm Pounds San Diego County | KPBS

username.exe Jan 6th 2016 3:10 am

Re: Flooding in San Diego........

It was like being back in Vancouver again, this afternoon :)

Rainfall was torrential downtown where I was at 4pm. The 5 was slow so I drove through Mission Bay which had risen a huge amount. Most people are driving carefully but every so often you'll see a moron fly past without a care in the world.

Many of the storm drains were clogged with dirt and debris so the streets simply flooded. It's going to be like this for much of the week, apparently.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 6th 2016 4:12 am

Originally Posted by username.exe (Post 11829261)
It was like being back in Vancouver again, this afternoon :)

Rainfall was torrential downtown where I was at 4pm. The 5 was slow so I drove through Mission Bay which had risen a huge amount. Most people are driving carefully but every so often you'll see a moron fly past without a care in the world.

Many of the storm drains were clogged with dirt and debris so the streets simply flooded. It's going to be like this for much of the week, apparently.

El Nino years always bring an interesting rain pattern. This year is supposed to be the biggest since 1997, and seems to be starting off to a good start.

Vancouver got a good amount of rain today, but of course this region gets large amounts so we don't tend to get the same issues.... Where I am about 55 minutes North of downtown Vancouver we got a decent amount of snow.

dc koop Jan 6th 2016 5:09 am

The home owners on the hillsides were well prepared. The City had been giving out thousands of sand bags for weeks and big concrete barriers placed a year ago at the bottom of the streets where they intersected with cross streets. Much of the mountain areas had been burned during the Colby trail fire two years ago and some of the roads close to the mountains a few inches deep in flowing muddy water and debris but no homes apparently flooded glad to say. City work crews and equipment were out in force and the police were patrolling the area ready to help where necessary

sir_eccles Jan 6th 2016 5:13 am

The weather has been carrying through to us in Phoenix, pretty wet out. The wife said she had been looking at the satellite images of the Pacific and there is a stack of fronts lined up waiting to come in one after the other.

dc koop Jan 6th 2016 5:23 am

I'm just bloody well glad we're getting to share some of Seattle's weather at last. It's been long overdue.

My neck of the woods was beginning to look like part of Death Valley

SanDiegogirl Jan 6th 2016 5:31 am

We received 2.5" in Poway ...rained solidly and heavily all afternoon.

It was the most rain in such a short time in my 13 years here.

More coming tomorrow by the sounds of it - currently we are getting intermittent showers. Glad I got my drains cleaned out !!

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 6th 2016 8:13 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11829293)
The weather has been carrying through to us in Phoenix, pretty wet out. The wife said she had been looking at the satellite images of the Pacific and there is a stack of fronts lined up waiting to come in one after the other.

My sisters husband who is now in Phoenix reports he has no power, but at least the cell phone works....

Our storm has passed and we now have a forecast of sunny weather for the next 7 days.

Cool though, highs only into the high 30's and lows into the high 20's.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 7th 2016 1:42 am

I see some area's in the county had a tornado warning for a time today.

My sister is stuck currently in Wal-Mart parking lot as it's been mildly flooded from what I can tell from her photo.

username.exe Jan 7th 2016 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11830231)
I see some area's in the county had a tornado warning for a time today.

My sister is stuck currently in Wal-Mart parking lot as it's been mildly flooded from what I can tell from her photo.

I hope she's not parked at Fashion Valley:

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 7th 2016 4:17 am

Have not seen rain since September.

dc koop Jan 7th 2016 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11830306)
Have not seen rain since September.

It's heading your way.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 7th 2016 8:04 am

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 11830321)
It's heading your way.

May/June is a long way away.

FinnDiego Jan 7th 2016 8:47 pm

Yep, heavy rains (as in over an inch an hour) and localized flooding. My house seems fine and garage mostly so, maybe my lawn will even recover at some point. Looks like we should finally get a dry day Friday, which means I can ride my bike to work again. Will be dodging a few puddles and bits of debris I suspect...

Mission Valley is a problem as usual. I seem to recall there being a lot of recently renovated ground floor apartments being available when I moved here in 2011... Nice work building on a flood plain!

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 7th 2016 9:27 pm

Mission Valley was the stupidiest planning ever done and they just kept building at ground level.

Guess they figure once every decade flooding is worth the risk, but its been like that since I was a kid and back then it wasnt as built up and they should have limited development of the area.

Have to be very careful if choosing to live in that area even if in a high rise or above ground your car may end up underwater.

I lived in Bonita in the 1997 el nino and had some flooding there as well due to the dam in Spring Valley overflowing as it had rained so much that winter.

This el nino is supposed to he on par with that one if not bigger and its not even into the wettest part of the winter yet which is typically Feb into early March.

The TV news here said LA had received more rain in 1 day this week then they do in all of January in a normal year.

Official San Diego rainfall can appear lower then reality due to the airports location where the official measurement is done. Tends not to be as rainy in that area.

Originally Posted by FinnDiego (Post 11831141)
Yep, heavy rains (as in over an inch an hour) and localized flooding. My house seems fine and garage mostly so, maybe my lawn will even recover at some point. Looks like we should finally get a dry day Friday, which means I can ride my bike to work again. Will be dodging a few puddles and bits of debris I suspect...

Mission Valley is a problem as usual. I seem to recall there being a lot of recently renovated ground floor apartments being available when I moved here in 2011... Nice work building on a flood plain!