British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Flights US to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/flights-us-uk-931729/)

stuwoolf Mar 15th 2020 9:21 pm

Flights US to UK

Anyone know if next weekends flights from Miami to Gatwick UK are going to fly?

My mates son is coming home to Glasgow from Trinidad via Miami.

Nutmegger Mar 15th 2020 10:00 pm

Re: Flights US to UK

Originally Posted by stuwoolf (Post 12821376)
Anyone know if next weekends flights from Miami to Gatwick UK are going to fly?

My mates son is coming home to Glasgow from Trinidad via Miami.

Suggest he contacts the relevant airline.

stuwoolf Mar 15th 2020 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12821394)
Suggest he contacts the relevant airline.

Thats the advice I gave. Thought maybe someone closer to Miami may have some onfo.

Thanks for your reply.

Pulaski Mar 16th 2020 1:29 am

Nobody knows, probably not even the airline - seven days ago everything seemed hunky-dory - then on Monday morning flights to Europe/ Schengen zone were affected by a ban on people from those areas .... and within the past 24 hours it has been announced the UK and Ireland will be added on Tuesday.

So things are moving very quickly, and an assurance given today will be worthless tomorrow. I heard just a couple of hours ago that SAS has grounded its fleet for the duration of the crisis. My tip is that virtually all international air travel will be stopped within 7 days.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 16th 2020 1:40 am

Impossible to say, but I would highly suggest they call the airline and see if they can rebook for tomorrow or as soon as possible, the sooner the better at this point.

Pulaski Mar 16th 2020 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12821448)
Impossible to say, but I would highly suggest they call the airline and see if they can rebook for tomorrow or as soon as possible, the sooner the better at this point.

:goodpost:

Pulaski Mar 16th 2020 3:45 pm

The BBC is reporting that airlines are cutting capacity by 75%+ upto and including grounding their fleets. BA says they are focusing on "core routes", and have cut 80% of capacity.

Given how far we have come in the past 7 days, I wouldn't bet much on there being any flights to catch within a few days, although I read that if you have the return leg of a trip to complete, the airlines have some sort of obligation to get you home, so to Stuwolf's question, is his "mate's son" on the return leg of a round trip, or has he just bought a ticket to come home?

stuwoolf Mar 16th 2020 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12821679)
The BBC is reporting that airlines are cutting capacity by 75%+ upto and including grounding their fleets. BA says they are focusing on "core routes", and have cut 80% of capacity.

Given how far we have come in the past 7 days, I wouldn't bet much on there being any flights to catch within a few days, although I read that if you have the return leg of a trip to complete, the airlines have some sort of obligation to get you home, so to Stuwolf's question, is his "mate's son" on the return leg of a round trip, or has he just bought a ticket to come home?

Thanks.

Good Q about if its a return leg. Not sure. I too feel it may only get worse in the coming few days. Will US permit landing of flights from Trinadad? I guess its a wait and see scenario.

Thanks for all the replies.

tonrob Mar 17th 2020 12:45 am

Assume it's this airline? (Looks like the only one that flies direct).

​​​​​​https://onemileatatime.com/norwegian-cancels-flights/

Looking at their website they've stopped selling tickets MIA-LGW for 5 days starting on Friday, but seem to resume from the 25th, which looks a bit fishy. Could be that in reality they're simply canceling the route after Thursday but their reservation systems somehow haven't caught up yet?

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 17th 2020 1:36 am

Most of the world airlines bankrupt by May?

stuwoolf Mar 17th 2020 5:32 am

My mate tells me the airline has rescheduled lthe fight to Wednesday next week.

Thanks all for your input.

Pulaski Mar 17th 2020 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by stuwoolf (Post 12822041)
My mate tells me the airline has rescheduled the fight to Wednesday next week. .....

:hysterical: .... Ten days ago all transatlantic flights, and almost all long-haul flights that didn't go to/from China or the Far East, were operating as normal. As we now know, it is impossible to know what "normal" will be tomorrow, or even six hours from now, so I wouldn't bet sixpence on the existence of a flight scheduled for Wednesday of next week!

stuwoolf Mar 17th 2020 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12822205)
:hysterical: .... Ten days ago all transatlantic flights, and almost all long-haul flights that didn't go to/from China or the Far East, were operating as normal. As we now know, it is impossible to know what "normal" will be tomorrow, or even six hours from now, so I wouldn't bet sixpence on the existence of a flight scheduled for Wednesday of next week!

Too true

What can ya do.......Just gotta go with the flow

mikelincs Mar 17th 2020 1:35 pm

Current speculation is that Heathrow may well close given the lack of flights, possibly transferring those that are taking place to places like Gatwick.

scot47 Mar 17th 2020 1:37 pm

The whole thing is like the beginning of "The Day Of The Triffids". The End Times !